News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Vermont

Started by Alex, January 29, 2009, 04:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Guess I just missed the opening when I went to the Lebanon meet.  I was wondering if it was closed down or something; actually, the way the signs are covered, they look kinda like variable message panels.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

It opened just before I went on my post-deployment leave in November.

froggie

Those who were at the Burlington meet last November may remember that the park-and-ride we used was under an expansion project.  That project is now completed, but now there is additional construction right across US 2 from the lot...I can't tell if it's a storm retention pond or ANOTHER new park-and-ride they're building.  VTrans is also adding a traffic signal on US 2 at the SB 89 off-ramp and main park-and-ride entrance.

vdeane

Looks like the park and ride was an unintentional tour stop in addition to the meet-up location.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

Meanwhile, down in White River Junction, crews have finally started to remove the old US 4 bridge over the Connecticut River between WRJ and West Lebanon, NH.  Traffic has been using a "temporary bridge" for at least a few years now while the project has languished.  Driving through today, noticed that the easternmost bridge span (the old bridge was a through truss) is now gone.  It was still there in December.

froggie

There's a project in the works to replace the US 2/VT 100 North junction in Waterbury with a roundabout.  According to VTrans, it's expected to begin this summer.

I think this old sign is safe, though I'd expect this sign to be replaced with the roundabout project.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on February 23, 2014, 10:14:47 PM
Meanwhile, down in White River Junction, crews have finally started to remove the old US 4 bridge over the Connecticut River between WRJ and West Lebanon, NH.  Traffic has been using a "temporary bridge" for at least a few years now while the project has languished.  Driving through today, noticed that the easternmost bridge span (the old bridge was a through truss) is now gone.  It was still there in December.

Do you know the institutional arrangements between Vtrans and NHDOT for the bridges over the Connecticut River?  From Google Maps, it appears that the river belongs to New Hampshire up to the Vermont shoreline. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

shadyjay

Quote from: froggie on February 28, 2014, 02:35:09 PM
There's a project in the works to replace the US 2/VT 100 North junction in Waterbury with a roundabout.  According to VTrans, it's expected to begin this summer.

I think this old sign is safe, though I'd expect this sign to be replaced with the roundabout project.

What's funny is that the reverse of this sign http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamontheroad/7265008360/  was never corrected when US 2 East was reopened a few years ago to Middlesex.  Behind the "Bolton" sign, you can see the green of the "Middlesex" side which is still reversed, and AOT never put back up the EAST US 2 signage below the VT 100 SOUTH signage. 

Personally, I don't see how a rotary is going to fit in here, unless the white house at the intersection is demolished. 

KEVIN_224

@ cpzilliacus: Most likely. I know the Seabees Memorial Bridge, which carries VT/NH Route 9, between Brattleboro, VT and Chesterfield, NH is like that. The state line there was clearly on the west shore, Vermont side.

froggie

QuoteDo you know the institutional arrangements between Vtrans and NHDOT for the bridges over the Connecticut River?  From Google Maps, it appears that the river belongs to New Hampshire up to the Vermont shoreline.

I'm not sure the institutional arrangements.  But stemming from a 1935 Supreme Court case, the border is the mean-low-water mark on the Vermont side.

QuotePersonally, I don't see how a rotary is going to fit in here, unless the white house at the intersection is demolished.

Per the first link in my roundabout comment, the schematic shows construction angling towards I-89, with the house being retained.

froggie

Was in White River Jct today...crews have finished taking down all of the bridge deck and superstructure on the old US 4 bridge over the Connecticut River.  The bridge piers are still there.

vdeane

Looks like there's a bill in Vermont to convert the interstates to mileage based exit numbers: http://openstates.org/vt/bills/2013-2014/S244/

Duke87

Introduced nearly four months ago, no movement since. Yeah, that's probably dead where it stands.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

Last time I corresponded with VTrans about it, they were hoping to delay as long as possible and ask for a variance if they could.  In short, VTrans has zero interest in converting to milepost-based.

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on April 28, 2014, 12:12:00 PM
Last time I corresponded with VTrans about it, they were hoping to delay as long as possible and ask for a variance if they could.  In short, VTrans has zero interest in converting to milepost-based.
I think it's ironic that they're so opposed given that the rural nature of Vermont is ideal for distance-based numbers (and since VT 289 is mileage based; ironic, given that the only road in the state less optimized for it is I-189).  The best time to do it would have been when all the signs were replaced with clearview.

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on April 28, 2014, 06:48:36 PM
The best time to do it would have been when all the signs were replaced with clearview.

Do you really think they would switch?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

froggie

QuoteThe best time to do it would have been when all the signs were replaced with clearview.

Some of these Clearview sign contracts (I-91 north of Lyndonville, for example) were made before the MUTCD was adopted and mandated the exit number change.

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on April 28, 2014, 06:48:36 PM
I think it's ironic that they're so opposed given that the rural nature of Vermont is ideal for distance-based numbers (and since VT 289 is mileage based; ironic, given that the only road in the state less optimized for it is I-189).

You underestimate the ability of New England to resist change because "we've always done it this way and it seems to work fine".

Vermont may be ideal for distance-based numbers, but they aren't going to willingly change just because the feds said so. The locals are quite familiar and comfortable with the existing exit numbers and changing them for any reason is not going to be a popular idea.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

shadyjay

Couple observations from a trip down south this past weekend:

I-91 NB:
Former welcome center at the Mass state line is under construction.  They're building a full size truck inspection (weigh) station.  All former buildings are gone (the vending machine shelter has been there since they tore down the main building) and a large parking lot has taken shape.  No work done to the small parking area about a mile or so to the north. 

Also, a project is in the works to replace signage from the Mass State Line to Rockingham, though it appears no work has started yet.  I'm not sure if the contract has been awarded yet.

I-89:
Observed the SB parking area just past Exit 4 in Randolph was all torn up.  Is it going to be removed?  Really no point to it, as its 3/4 mile past Exit 4, and about 3 miles south of the on-highway rest area.  Also I read that they're going to get rid of that rest area too.  It'd be a shame if they do, but I hear they're planning on building some large complex right off Exit 4, complete with welcome center.  Somehow, these just don't have the allure of on-highway facilities.  I'd rather not get off the highway to go to a rest area. 

froggie

Jay, have you popped through Brookfield and the VT 65 bridge over Sunset Lake lately?  They're in the process of a full replacement.

shadyjay

Quote from: froggie on June 18, 2014, 09:14:07 AM
Jay, have you popped through Brookfield and the VT 65 bridge over Sunset Lake lately?  They're in the process of a full replacement.

I have not, though I heard they were replacing the bridge.  About time.... VT 65 has been in two segments for too long.  Guess it doesn't really matter... it's not even a paved road, yet its state-maintained.

froggie

The only such road, as best as I can tell, though it is paved east of Brookfield down to VT 14.

froggie

Quote from: froggie

The Waterbury roundabout project officially began this past week, though I didn't see any discernible construction as of yesterday.  VTrans expects to finish it by next summer.

froggie

Last week, VTrans posted this vintage video on YouTube, of the opening of I-91 between White River Junction and Windsor.  The first part shows scenes near the I-89/I-91 interchange.  Most of the video shows various shots during a caravan drive on northbound I-91 between Windsor and White River Jct.  Check out the guide signage at 2:16-2:19, 3:10, and 3:16.

The video title lists it as 1961, though Vermont official state maps suggest it opened in 1966.

agentsteel53

1966 for sure, going by the cars.

I bet some of those button copy guide signs were still up as of a few years ago.

shield spec appears to be 1961, except for the interstate shields, which are '57 spec shields with 5/12ths number height (15" on a 36" sign), that is very close to '61 spec, except '61 spec also made the red crown shorter.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.