Ohio Road Meet 2018 - Mentor/Ashtabula, Sept. 29

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, February 01, 2018, 09:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 21, 2018, 06:58:32 PM
One week (+1 day) out forecast for NE Ohio.
Dry (Clear to Partly Cloudy) for Lake & Ashtabula Counties with a high in the low 60s.
15% of rain (at most) for both areas at any given time.

Subject to change (of course) prior to (next) Saturday.

Doesn't look like the forecast has changed much. I'm cool with that.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alps

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Alps on September 25, 2018, 11:36:53 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 25, 2018, 09:12:16 PM
Itinerary:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nNN1FaJ-zEALsK9nGt-0NaT-hMNEyMdnmnk0LpkSERo/edit
Map:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7696096,-81.2037332,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!6m1!1s1EbVBAdpJAigev-_58zJ-uutpKvoa0y9W?hl=en&authuser=0
Facebook said you changed the date/time, but I'm guessing that was just actually inputting the date/time, because it still looks like Max & Erma's at 11:30.
I finally got around last night to "updating" the FB event page, so that it said the same thing as I've been posting here.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I now have a RSVP from the other half (technically the only one) of Roadfan, and his GF as well.  (:wave: Hi, Marc!)
He also sent me a video concerning Smolen-Gulf covered bridge:

Weather update for Saturday:
Sunny to partly cloudy (chance of rain Friday night into early Saturday morning), Temperature struggling to reach 60 with a steady breeze coming off the lake.

Alps

The Wheel of Lunch (TM) suggests that we go to Scooter's Dawg House after the meet. Although I wouldn't normally think of hot dogs for dinner, everything I read about it suggests it's a must-eat. Just putting it out there. Also, their small fries can apparently feed a family of five.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Alps on September 26, 2018, 09:28:21 PM
The Wheel of Lunch (TM) suggests that we go to Scooter's Dawg House after the meet. Although I wouldn't normally think of hot dogs for dinner, everything I read about it suggests it's a must-eat. Just putting it out there. Also, their small fries can apparently feed a family of five.

There is that. Also for consideration....
Annabelle's Diner (http://www.annabellesdiner.com/)
Your's Truly (https://ytr.com/)
Beachland Ballroom & Tavern (https://www.beachlandballroom.com/food-drink/) (However its 15 miles east of Garfield House)

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on September 26, 2018, 10:28:24 PM
Mayonnaise is awesome.
I originally posted "Yours Truly is out because they serve mayonnaise with their hamburgers." Then deleted it because it didn't look right. But I think it is. That is horrifying.
That said, out of context, your reply to my nonpost is hilarious.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on September 26, 2018, 11:25:03 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 26, 2018, 10:28:24 PM
Mayonnaise is awesome.
I originally posted "Yours Truly is out because they serve mayonnaise with their hamburgers." Then deleted it because it didn't look right. But I think it is. That is horrifying.
That said, out of context, your reply to my nonpost is hilarious.
Shine on, you crazy diamond.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jpi

Looks like the weather is going to be nice this weekend, I will be on the road from Harrisburg in the morning, any one getting together tomorrow evening?
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I guess I get to wrap up my roadmeet.  :coffee:
The weather more than cooperated. Everyone enjoyed themselves (to my knowledge).
Unofficial attendance figures come to 24.
We got to all the stops that I had listed on the final itinerary (7 total), dodged a grape jamboree in Geneva, had no issues with lunch at Maxs & Ermas.
Thanks to all who attended.
And thanks to Marc Fannin (assuming he's going lurk on here  :wave:) for feeding me information on Vrooman Rd & Smolen-Gulf bridges leading up to the meet.

baugh17

Sorry I missed you at the end, Sandor, but kudos to you for a great meet!

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 30, 2018, 10:30:59 PM
I guess I get to wrap up my roadmeet.  :coffee:
The weather more than cooperated. Everyone enjoyed themselves (to my knowledge).
Unofficial attendance figures come to 24.
We got to all the stops that I had listed on the final itinerary (7 total), dodged a grape jamboree in Geneva, had no issues with lunch at Maxs & Ermas.
Thanks to all who attended.
And thanks to Marc Fannin (assuming he's going lurk on here  :wave:) for feeding me information on Vrooman Rd & Smolen-Gulf bridges leading up to the meet.

Alps

Same. We got a little fraggled by Geneva or else we would have stuck around. Enjoyed this unique meet plus talk.

jpi

Thanks for putting this together Sandor, it was great seeing and catching up with everyone and to get back to an area of Ohio that I actually spent a lot of time in over 20 years ago and have not been too hardly since. I got to catch up with an old co-worker of mine who lives in the area Sunday morning and had a nice drive back on Sunday to middle TN. Hope to see you all again soon!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

I echo the gratitude toward Sandor for hosting this meet! I really enjoyed it. Bryan's talk was fascinating, and the tour was great! Not to mention the perfect fall weather. It was a nice turnout, and like Jason said, it was great catching up with everyone. Even though I had to peel off a little early, I enjoyed having Laura and Jason with me in my car for part of the tour before I had to leave.

I had a rather nice time Sunday morning exploring more of the Ashtabula area... including checking out the lift bridge as well as the brick road outside of Geneva where the trolley line used to be. Sunday morning I explored downtown Ashtabula, drove a significant portion of OH 531 and OH 534, and ultimately took U.S. 20 from OH 11 all the way to where U.S. 6 branches off in East Cleveland. (The stretch from Painesville to East Cleveland along U.S. 20 was nice to see, but it took a long time because of all the lights I had to stop at. But despite that, I'm happy that I clinched that section of U.S. 20. I took a photo of one of the historic U.S. 20 signs along that road.)

It was nice approaching downtown Cleveland from U.S. 6. After I left downtown, I continued along U.S. 6 until I got to OH 252. I headed south on 252 because I wanted to visit a mall in North Olmsted. I was hoping to clinch more of U.S. 6 (hugging the shoreline west of 252), but I decided to just head home from the mall via I-480 and the Ohio Turnpike. By the time I left the mall, it was almost 1:30 and I knew I had at least 4 hours ahead of me. I'll do that section of U.S. 6 another time.

I was driving pretty fast and made really good time getting home. The drive was uneventful except for some light rain that was falling at some point after I'd crossed into Michigan. I always plan on about a 5-hour drive from Cleveland to my home in Grand Rapids MI, but the drive only took about 4 hours and 20 minutes.

Thanks again, Sandor, for hosting this meet! It was a great time.
-A.J. from Michigan

US71

I wish there had been more time for exploring, but otherwise had a good time and enjoyed the lecture. 
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

74/171FAN

I am still puzzled at why I skipped this meet after my recent drive along OH 531 in Ashtabula County back in October 2022.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 10, 2023, 12:06:51 PM
I am still puzzled at why I skipped this meet after my recent drive along OH 531 in Ashtabula County back in October 2022.
You didn't like people back then?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.