News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

UK Roads Thread

Started by bing101, March 21, 2019, 09:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Stephane Dumas

Plutonic Panda

J N Winkler

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kernals12

A judge has denied review requested by an anti-highway group on the A428 Caxton Gibbet to Black Cat Roundabout project.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/a428-black-cat-caxton-gibbet-26646594

Once finished, this project will create a 4 lane freeway from Milton Keynes to Ipswich. And all that will be needed is another scheme from Milton Keynes to the A34 in Oxford to create an Outer M25.

Plutonic Panda

kernals12

The British Government has cancelled all planned "smart motorways", which is where the breakdown lanes are converted into travel lanes, due to safety issues.

kernals12

Quote from: kernals12 on April 08, 2023, 08:40:29 PM
A judge has denied review requested by an anti-highway group on the A428 Caxton Gibbet to Black Cat Roundabout project.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/a428-black-cat-caxton-gibbet-26646594

Once finished, this project will create a 4 lane freeway from Milton Keynes to Ipswich. And all that will be needed is another scheme from Milton Keynes to the A34 in Oxford to create an Outer M25.

Construction starts at the end of this year
https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2023/05/22/skanska-gets-start-date-for-delayed-507m-a428-dualling-job/

Road Hog

Remarkable that "gibbets" are still English landmarks even today.

bing101

Auto Shenanigans is a great YT channel for interesting history about Mororways in the UK.
https://www.youtube.com/@AutoShenanigans/videos

vdeane

One thing that's been bugging me - why are some roads designed as A##(M)?  Why not simply M##?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bing101

Quote from: vdeane on July 30, 2023, 08:29:14 PM
One thing that's been bugging me - why are some roads designed as A##(M)?  Why not simply M##?

M Routes is an equivalent to Interstates in the UK and A Routes are like the UK equivalent of US Routes or State Routes. Thats the impression I've seen in the examples.

J N Winkler

Quote from: vdeane on July 30, 2023, 08:29:14 PMOne thing that's been bugging me - why are some roads designed as A##(M)?  Why not simply M##?

Routes so numbered are considered continuations of the A-roads of the same number, but developed to motorway standard and subject to motorway regulations.  For example, the A1(M) just north of the M25 London orbital is not paralleled by the A1.  Instead, it continues as the A1 past Biggleswade, Letchworth Garden City, and St. Neots; then the A1(M) resumes briefly between Alconbury and Peterborough; and so on until Newcastle-upon-Tyne, where the northernmost length of A1(M) ends.  (The A1 continues to Edinburgh as an all-purpose road, though some segments are dual carriageway with comprehensive grade separation.)

In practice, however, because of the expectation that a route will be provided for non-motorway traffic, upgrades from all-purpose A-road to motorway that keep the A-road number with the "(M)" suffix tend to have a parallel single-carriageway all-purpose road that is often the original A-road under a different number.  This has happened with, e.g., the A74(M) in Scotland, where the B7076 is basically the old A74.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

bing101

Auto Shenanigans tour of the M8

bing101

Here is more on the M8

bing101

Plutonic Panda

bing101

Here is one the proposed motorways in Cardiff until that was cancelled.

tmoore952

My wife and I (from Maryland in USA) did a driving tour of the UK and Wales in August. We rented a Jeep at Gatwick Airport and yes, the steering wheel was on the right side of the car (towards the center of the road as you drive).

We drove about 800 miles over 10 days, but most of that mileage was in large chunks on a couple days, with some days having very little mileage.
We stayed in Bristol (England) one night, Cardiff (Wales) two nights, Aberystwyth (Wales) one night, Betws-y-Coed (Wales) three nights. At that point we started heading back towards Gatwick Airport, but before we went back there we returned to England and spent three nights in Eveshan/Honeybourne area in the UK.

We did cross the Severn River on the M48 bridge, which was cool.
Another highlight was partially hiking up Mount Snowdonia. The days we were there it was rainy and foggy, and so we did not go all the way to the summit.

I'm not going to try to list all the roads we drove on, but we were on M roads, A roads, and (I believe) B roads, and even narrower roads. As people who are not used to driving on the left side of the road, we were relatively comfortable on the M roads and the A roads. The smaller roads were a different story, being that many of them in places had either stone fences or vertical hedges right next to the road, and many of them had water drain grates on the side of the road which (1) we were not always able to avoid driving over and (2) were not always smooth.

We drove because especially in Wales, there are places we wanted to go which are not served by public transportation.

I believe my wife wants to return and do a similar trip for Scotland. I haven't yet gauged how she feels about doing more driving, though, so I can't say for sure.

bing101

Here is profile on the A308.

bing101

Here is one from This Week.

bing101

Here is more on Motorway gaps in the UK.

bing101

Here is more on Motorway gaps in the UK.

Here is one on bad interchange designs in the UK

zzcarp

Quote from: bing101 on December 03, 2023, 08:19:44 PM

Here is a tour of the A64M

The link goes to a YouTube video on how to distribute a press release. No tour of A64M was to be found.
So many miles and so many roads

bing101

Quote from: zzcarp on December 04, 2023, 02:06:08 PM
Quote from: bing101 on December 03, 2023, 08:19:44 PM

Here is a tour of the A64M

The link goes to a YouTube video on how to distribute a press release. No tour of A64M was to be found.

Now Fixed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.