News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

PA: I-579 "Cap" Urban Connector project

Started by rickmastfan67, September 02, 2019, 01:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Just thought that we needed a thread on this subject, as it's a pretty big project here in the Pittsburgh area.

http://www.pgh-sea.com/LHR-i579cap.htm
http://i-579captiger.com/

Starting on evening of September 6th, the I-579 NB ramp to 7th Avenue ramp will be closing for 2 years.  This is the 'left' exit as seen here.

QuoteAs part of the I-579 "Cap"  Urban Connector project, the ramp from northbound I-579 to 7th Avenue will close to traffic at approximately 8 p.m. Friday, September 6 for 700 consecutive days through August 6, 2021. Crews will place concrete barriers at the ramp, southbound I-579 will be shifted into two 11-foot wide lanes, and line painting operations will occur through Saturday morning. Approximately 2,250 vehicles use the ramp each day.

At least the 'right exit ramp' for PPG Arena/Centre Avenue is going to stay open.

==

MOD NOTE: repaired all post subjects in thread due to database issue on 09/30/23.

silverback1065

i think pittsburgh has the worst urban freeways in america from a design aspect. 

Gnutella

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 02, 2019, 11:26:43 AM
i think pittsburgh has the worst urban freeways in america from a design aspect. 

That's because most of them predate the Interstate Highway System, and properly upgrading them would be insanely expensive for a list of reasons, both obvious and not so obvious.

The Ghostbuster

The cap seems like a good idea. Are there any other freeway segments in the Pittsburgh area where a similar cap could possibly be constructed?

Bitmapped

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 03, 2019, 02:28:42 PM
The cap seems like a good idea. Are there any other freeway segments in the Pittsburgh area where a similar cap could possibly be constructed?

Over the bathtub section of I-376 westbound and the 10th Street Bypass, but I don't know there's a lot of development potential for those locations.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Bitmapped on September 05, 2019, 09:54:01 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 03, 2019, 02:28:42 PM

Over the bathtub section of I-376 westbound and the 10th Street Bypass, but I don't know there's a lot of development potential for those locations.

The Bathtub I-376 might be possible, but then again, you have all those left exits/entrances in that area.  :-/

As for the 10th Street Bypass, yeah, no there, as they do already have a trail right along the river beside the road.  Would have to remove that trail for the supports and I don't think that would be worth it.

rickmastfan67

SkyPesos

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 02, 2019, 11:26:43 AM
Unlike the flat cornfields us two live in, topography exists in Pittsburgh  :bigass:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.