News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Utica NY Road Enthusiast Meet III - New Date: July 18, 2020

Started by baugh17, November 13, 2019, 09:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please select what day(s) would be best to reschedule the Utica meet.

July 11
6 (54.5%)
July 18
10 (90.9%)
July 25
7 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: May 31, 2020, 05:50:57 PM

SSOWorld

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 17, 2020, 01:13:48 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on February 17, 2020, 01:08:36 AM
I'm in sort of the opposite boat as AJ... I've been to two Utica meets already and was in Utica just a couple weeks ago. It's old hat to me and offers very little clinching opportunity.

But I've never been off the interstate in San Antonio proper so that interests me far more as a destination.

Do you think there's a chance you might actually attend the San Antonio meet?
There's a fair number of us that have not committed due to the meet being announced far in advance.  I haven't officially committed but it I can consider myself going. 
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

deathtopumpkins

I'll be there if I don't end up making it to San Antonio (which I would like to attend, but haven't confirmed yet).
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

PHLBOS

Doing a quick Google Maps travel time check, Utica's about a 4-1/2 to 5 hour one-way trip from where I reside (southern Delaware County, PA); so such is doable for me on paper.  As I did with the last two New England meets I attended; I would likely seek lodging for at least the Friday night before.  However, available/open Saturdays are a bit scarce through Easter.  April 18, May 2 and/or 9 may be possible available dates from my end.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Duke87

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 17, 2020, 01:13:48 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on February 17, 2020, 01:08:36 AM
I'm in sort of the opposite boat as AJ... I've been to two Utica meets already and was in Utica just a couple weeks ago. It's old hat to me and offers very little clinching opportunity.

But I've never been off the interstate in San Antonio proper so that interests me far more as a destination.

Do you think there's a chance you might actually attend the San Antonio meet?

There is a chance, yes. Depends on how various things shake out over the next couple months.

I don't expect to be attending Utica either way, though.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

baugh17

For those of you who are concerned about the impact the Coronavirus pandemic and any potential impact it may have on this meet, the meet is not being postponed at this time. I will continue to monitor the situation and any restrictions that may or may not be in place, but I don't plan to make a call until closer to mid-late April.

bandit957

Quote from: baugh17 on March 16, 2020, 10:34:29 PM
For those of you who are concerned about the impact the Coronavirus pandemic and any potential impact it may have on this meet, the meet is not being postponed at this time.

:clap:

It's good to know that so far, Roads Scholars have stood strong against the pressures to cancel meets.

Likewise, Cincinnati on May 30 is still on, and will not be canceled regardless of how this situation develops.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

TonyTrafficLight

Glad I logged in since there's nothing to do at work. Looking forward to this!
I like signals I guess

https://tonytrafficlight.com

cl94

New York is certainly a fluid situation. If worst comes to worse, we can get takeout and have lunch at a park or something.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

bandit957

Quote from: cl94 on March 17, 2020, 11:53:29 AM
New York is certainly a fluid situation. If worst comes to worse, we can get takeout and have lunch at a park or something.

I have the exact same idea for the Cincinnati meet. That assumes restaurants are still closed on May 30.

deathtopumpkins

This situation is way too fluid to realistically be making any plans for May 30. If it were in April, sure, have a contingency plan in place. But we have no idea what sort of restrictions, if any, might be in place by May 30th.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

baugh17

The thought has come to mind.  We'll see as the date draws closer.

Dougtone

Quote from: baugh17 on March 17, 2020, 09:49:18 PM

The thought has come to mind.  We'll see as the date draws closer.

Might want to find a park with a roof over their picnic area, in case of inclement weather.

cl94

Well, if the PA restrictions spread to other states, we're not going to be having ANY road meets that don't solely involve locals this Spring. PA is requiring all hotels and hospitality facilities to close.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

bandit957

Quote from: cl94 on March 19, 2020, 05:45:34 PM
Well, if the PA restrictions spread to other states, we're not going to be having ANY road meets that don't solely involve locals this Spring. PA is requiring all hotels and hospitality facilities to close.

Pitch a tent.

cl94

Quote from: bandit957 on March 19, 2020, 05:48:32 PM

Pitch a tent.

Not if the campgrounds are all closed, which is the case in PA.

bandit957

Quote from: cl94 on March 19, 2020, 05:51:41 PM

Use the side of the road.

bandit957

Or use the inside of the car. That works well enough.

bandit957

Forearmed is forewarned. If worst comes to worse, and hotels are closed for any looming roadmeet, I found a website that shows 11 tips for sleeping in your car. You'll peep, you'll weep, you'll even oggle-beep...

https://www.rei.com/blog/camp/a-different-kind-of-car-camping-11-tips-for-sleeping-in-your-car

Alps

Yeah, I don't think we're having roadmeets until this passes enough for people to feel comfortable meeting up.

bandit957

Quote from: Alps on March 19, 2020, 08:26:19 PM
Yeah, I don't think we're having roadmeets until this passes enough for people to feel comfortable meeting up.

Cincinnati is still on.

Brandon

Quote from: cl94 on March 19, 2020, 05:51:41 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 19, 2020, 05:48:32 PM

Pitch a tent.

Is it just me, or is Pennsylvania afflicted with a major case of the stupids right now?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

cl94

Oh, you can hold it, but don't expect many long-distance attendees. As long as Pennsylvania's hotels, campgrounds, and rest areas are closed, I'm not going, because there will be no legal place for me to sleep at the midway point. I bet there will be others in a similar situation if other states close their hotels.

Quote from: Brandon on March 19, 2020, 10:27:19 PM
Is it just me, or is Pennsylvania afflicted with a major case of the stupids right now?

They are. Closing the rest areas was a step too far, IMO.

webny99

Quote from: cl94 on March 19, 2020, 10:28:00 PM
Quote from: Brandon on March 19, 2020, 10:27:19 PM
They are. Closing the rest areas was a step too far, IMO.

I agree. We can contain this thing without going as far as PA has gone. No reason to close the campgrounds, either.

vdeane

Well, this meet is now dependent on things improving by May 9 to happen.  Cuomo just banned all non-essential gatherings.
https://www.news10.com/news/governor-to-give-update-at-1030-a-m/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bandit957

Quote from: vdeane on March 20, 2020, 09:01:04 PM
Well, this meet is now dependent on things improving by May 9 to happen.  Cuomo just banned all non-essential gatherings.
https://www.news10.com/news/governor-to-give-update-at-1030-a-m/

Roadmeets are essential.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.