News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The coronavirus is destroying everything

Started by thspfc, March 12, 2020, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on January 13, 2022, 10:17:41 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on January 13, 2022, 08:54:12 AM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on January 13, 2022, 08:40:42 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 13, 2022, 04:07:01 AM
https://www.complex.com/sports/scenes-from-an-empty-toronto-raptors-home-game

Canada bringing back the ole capacity limits.

Not really surprised. A number of colleges in the US are also no longer admitting fans to men's and women's basketball games, and I expect that to continue until the Omicron surge winds down. Of course, exactly when that will happen is a mystery because it was projected to die down in late December...then early January...then mid-January...then late January...then early February...

Who was projecting it to die down at those times? I'd love to see sources.

I probably should have said "peak" rather than "die down".

Late December: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/05/omicron-wave-seems-to-have-peaked-in-south-africa-london-next.html

Mid-January: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/12/30/how-long-will-omicron-last/

Mid-February: https://nbc-2.com/news/health/covid/2021/12/29/thousands-more-expected-to-get-sick-with-omicron-variant-compared-to-delta/

First article was referencing the peak in South Africa. Different countries peak at different times. Second article said "may peak soon" which is pretty non-specific Soon could be one week or one month. Last article said mid-February, which is probably pretty accurate for the US.

If you ignore context, it's pretty easy to cherry pick portions of different stories to make it seem like people don't know what they're talking about when they really do.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadgeekteen

Some parts of the US like NYC and DC have already peaked.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 13, 2022, 05:42:12 PM

And I think sometimes we get a little 'localized' in our reporting, versus other areas.

When we hear South Africa, we don't pinpoint various cities and here if there's increasing or decreasing cases in Pretoria or Cape Town.  We just hear 'South Africa'.  Whereas in the US, we don't think of waves being country-wide.  We pinpoint them down to states, counties and cities.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 13, 2022, 05:59:49 PM

And I think sometimes we get a little 'localized' in our reporting, versus other areas.

When we hear South Africa, we don't pinpoint various cities and here if there's increasing or decreasing cases in Pretoria or Cape Town.  We just hear 'South Africa'.  Whereas in the US, we don't think of waves being country-wide.  We pinpoint them down to states, counties and cities.
That's probably because most of us live in America- also America is much bigger population-wise then South Africa.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 13, 2022, 06:05:57 PM

That's probably because most of us live in America- also America is much bigger population-wise then South Africa.

America is much bigger than most other countries.  But substitute any country for South Africa, and you'll get the same result.

But let's say you were in South Africa, and wanted to come to America.  Do you think they'll tell you that the wave peaked in specific cities?  Probably not.  They'll tell you if 'United States' cases are rising or peaking.

To use France for an example, they restricted the United States travel to France.  They don't care that there's fewer cases in New York or wherever, because anyone can travel within a country freely.  So they restrict our entire country, regardless where the peaks are. https://www.nbcnews.com/now/video/france-removed-u-s-from-safe-travel-list-among-covid-concerns-120822341592

hbelkins

I saw where Vanderbilt is not allowing students to attend basketball games (although member of the general public still can) for at least the first part of the month. I no longer watch or am a fan of University of Kentucky basketball, but I read a story today that the Vandy-UK game was one of them impacted. Vandy's game with cross-state rival Tennessee will also be one of the games impacted.

I read that the crowd cheers for UK were louder than for the home team. I guess Cat fans in south-central Kentucky who are closer to Nashville than any other big city got wind of the student exclusion and bought tickets, and i would expect the UT fans to outnumber Vandy fans as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 13, 2022, 06:17:15 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 13, 2022, 06:05:57 PM

America is much bigger than most other countries.  But substitute any country for South Africa, and you'll get the same result.

But let's say you were in South Africa, and wanted to come to America.  Do you think they'll tell you that the wave peaked in specific cities?  Probably not.  They'll tell you if 'United States' cases are rising or peaking.

To use France for an example, they restricted the United States travel to France.  They don't care that there's fewer cases in New York or wherever, because anyone can travel within a country freely.  So they restrict our entire country, regardless where the peaks are. https://www.nbcnews.com/now/video/france-removed-u-s-from-safe-travel-list-among-covid-concerns-120822341592
Obviously but that's mostly relevant for people interested in international travel

SectorZ

Like every prior Covid peak, the peaks are hitting the urban areas first and spreading to the rural areas. The Boston area has already peaked, especially as confirmed by the poop monitoring that some scientists are doing at the Deer Island sewer plant. New Hampshire believes they are peaking early next week.

snowc

I almost got sick when traveling back from NY over the break.
Luckily enough, the vaccine protected it.

Elsewhere, NCAA is adding games left and right.  :pan: :ded:

thspfc

Not happy to see this old thread of mine return.

snowc

Quote from: thspfc on January 14, 2022, 12:55:00 PM
Like my mother says when I get upset, tough crap!  :D

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: snowc on January 14, 2022, 12:56:35 PM
Quote from: thspfc on January 14, 2022, 12:55:00 PM
Like my mother says when I get upset, tough crap!  :D

I'm more interested in what your Dad has to say. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.