News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on March 25, 2023, 02:40:25 PM
Detroit-style pizza.

Meh, there are probably more than a few users on this board who think pizza made outside the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area should be required by law to be called something other than pizza, or just banned from existing entirely
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 25, 2023, 09:27:01 PM
Detroit-style pizza.

Meh, there are probably more than a few users on this board who think pizza made outside the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area should be required by law to be called something other than pizza, or just banned from existing entirely
Nah.  This new marketing gimmick of "Detroit-style pizza" is stupid.

Reminds me of when people went gaga over "chai" as if it was some new-fangled hot drink.  In a lot of languages, "chai" just means "tea."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bulldog1979

Quote from: Rothman on March 25, 2023, 10:52:30 PM

Is it a marketing gimmick of the style of pizza dates back to 1946?

Rothman

Quote from: bulldog1979 on March 25, 2023, 11:09:02 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 25, 2023, 10:52:30 PM

Is it a marketing gimmick of the style of pizza dates back to 1946?
Like I said, gimmick.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

Detroit-style pizza.

Okay, I'll bite.  I've had Pizza Chicago style and New York style, but what's Detroit style?

GaryV

Rothman

Quote from: kkt on March 26, 2023, 03:54:10 AM
Detroit-style pizza.

Okay, I'll bite.  I've had Pizza Chicago style and New York style, but what's Detroit style?
A gimmick.

formulanone

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 25, 2023, 09:27:01 PM
Detroit-style pizza.

No, that's not enough, it has to be from some very select neighborhood bordered by 5 numbered streets in NYC or it doesn't count. Even if they've never tried to make a pizza in their entire lives.

Also, if the 4th Earl of Sandwich didn't handle the same ingredients, than it's not a sandwich; merely stuff cobbled together on bread.

hbelkins

John Calipari's coaching ability.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on March 26, 2023, 11:13:28 PM
John Calipari's coaching ability.
Oh, come on now, he knew how to bribe players and only let his underlings take the rap.

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kkt

Rothman

Quote from: roadman on March 26, 2023, 11:51:35 PM
Michigan J. Frog.
Nah.  Even Steven Spielberg called "One Froggy Evening" the Citizen Kane of the animated short.

Rothman

Roadgeekteen

Steak. I'd rather eat a burger than steak. Steak is still good, but it gets so much hype that I don't think is warranted.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 01, 2023, 02:29:27 AM
Steak. I'd rather eat a burger than steak. Steak is still good, but it gets so much hype that I don't think is warranted.

And also, other people tell you how they think you should eat it. This is much less common with burgers. So, burgers win out from the eating-in-peace criterion as well.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on September 22, 2022, 06:39:13 PM

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 22, 2022, 05:28:15 PM

Quote from: kphoger on September 22, 2022, 04:54:43 PM
I still prefer a chop steak to a real steak anyway.

So basically a burger or hot tartare, yeah?  :)

Yeah, basically a hamburger patty.  Put some gravy on that bad boy, and I think it's just as good as a steak–but 90% less likely to be stringy/tough/otherwise hard to eat.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 01, 2023, 02:29:27 AM

:cheers:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Count me in the crowd who prefers burgers over steak.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 04, 2023, 02:42:13 PM

Bang for the buck? Sure. But if price were no object.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 04, 2023, 02:53:09 PM

I still would prefer the best burger I've had versus the best steak.

kphoger

As I said, I think a burger is just as good as a steak, but far less likely to be turn out bad.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on April 04, 2023, 03:26:00 PM
As I said, I think a burger is just as good as a steak, but far less likely to be turn out bad.

The big thing for me that puts a burger over the top is how easy they are to consume.  Steak requires extensive amounts of cutting and utensil use. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 04, 2023, 02:55:54 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 04, 2023, 02:53:09 PM

I still would prefer the best burger I've had versus the best steak.

No way for me. A5 Wagyu for the win.

bugo

kphoger

The best steak I've had, yes, was better than the best burger I've had.  But not by a whole lot, honestly.  And I've had plenty of steaks I wished I hadn't ordered–but very few such burgers.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.