News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

London's Lost Ringways

Started by kurumi, April 29, 2022, 11:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

https://www.worksinprogress.co/issue/londons-lost-ringways/

Article with maps and photos about the 1960s-era Ringways project, which would have added 478 miles of motorway including three concentric rings around central London.

From the article:
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Road Hog

Looks like Ringway 3 most closely matches today's Orbital (the M25), of which referencing to it as the Orbital appears to date myself.

Which was built on mostly-rural land back in the 1960s and 1970s.

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

english si

Quote from: Road Hog on April 30, 2022, 01:54:46 AMLooks like Ringway 3 most closely matches today's Orbital (the M25)
between junction 22 and near junction 4 it is the line of Ringway 3. The other (slightly larger half) is mostly on the line of Ringway 4 - though parts take a different alignment than in the originally planned one, and it's not just the tie-ins that are different.
Quoteof which referencing to it as the Orbital appears to date myself.
Still put on new signs at the entrances.

QuoteWhich was built on mostly-rural land back in the 1960s and 1970s.
Two key reasons:
1) gaps were left from earlier plans made during WW2.
2) the Green Belt stopped further development in that area anyway, pushing it further out.

kirbykart

This thread reminded me of a great website if you want to learn about the roads of the UK. It's called roads.org.uk, and they have extensive articles on London's ringways. They also have great information about practically everything related to Britain's road network.

abefroman329

Quote from: kirbykart on August 27, 2022, 11:09:13 AM
This thread reminded me of a great website if you want to learn about the roads of the UK. It's called roads.org.uk, and they have extensive articles on London's ringways. They also have great information about practically everything related to Britain's road network.
patheticmotorways.co.uk is another good one - though the focus is mainly on unfinished motorways

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.