News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

My Arizona Roadgeek Website (AzNate's Roads Updates)

Started by AzNate, July 24, 2022, 04:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AzNate

New significant updates since my last post:

AzNate

Whoops, power went out today right after I left for a SE Arizona trip, so the website will be down until Saturday afternoon probably since I can't do anything about it until I get back. After that's fixed, expect a bunch of new pictures of southeastern Arizona highways.

AzNate

The website is back online, along with the southeastern AZ road trip additions + some other updates to the website tonight:

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: AzNate on March 19, 2023, 02:49:17 AM
The website is back online, along with the southeastern AZ road trip additions + some other updates to the website tonight:

I'm a big fan of the map format for the goofs/fails page, and I'm really enjoying your work. Is there any way to make the map not zoom in when you click on one of the points, though?
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

AzNate

No, there isn't a way to toggle the zoom-in for the map points. I tested adding that with the idea that it would make it easier to see the exact location of the point, but I think it makes the experience more annoying than I intended. I've been thinking about removing the auto zoom-in for a bit and I'll probably go ahead with that now, thanks for the feedback!

AzNate

Many new website updates since March 19th:

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

There was one US 80 Historic shield on US 60 west of Florence Junction that I observed yesterday.  This was the one on eastbound US 60 approaching Florence Junction:

https://flic.kr/p/2owArim

roadman65

I do remember US 66 shields in 2000 in many cities it served. However, am glad US 80 isn't forgotten nor is parts of US 99 in CA as some brown historic shields in the Imperial Valley where it once ran.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 29, 2023, 02:04:41 PM
There was one US 80 Historic shield on US 60 west of Florence Junction that I observed yesterday.  This was the one on eastbound US 60 approaching Florence Junction:

https://flic.kr/p/2owArim

Interesting that there's a Historic US 80 sign, but not one for US 89.  There's also a sign for Historic US 60/70/80/89 in front of the decayed shell of the old Buckhorn Baths complex at Main St. and Recker Rd. in Mesa.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

machias

I just discovered your site. I noticed the overhead signs on I-19 and I-10 were replaced as well; it's been within the past six weeks. There's a few other new panels along I-19 south of Green Valley, replacing the button copy signs with new versions and maintaining the metric units. I think the advance southbound panel for Tumacacori-Carmen is one of the new panels I noticed yesterday.

AzNate

Quote from: machias on April 30, 2023, 09:33:28 PM
I just discovered your site. I noticed the overhead signs on I-19 and I-10 were replaced as well; it's been within the past six weeks. There's a few other new panels along I-19 south of Green Valley, replacing the button copy signs with new versions and maintaining the metric units. I think the advance southbound panel for Tumacacori-Carmen is one of the new panels I noticed yesterday.

Sad to see old button copy signs get replaced, but it's nice that they're keeping metric.

Quote from: roadman65 on April 29, 2023, 01:54:42 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aznate/52768744767
Nice that AZ recognizes former US 80.

Speaking of former US 80, coincidentally I drove down a bit of it on Saturday to the Gillespie Dam Bridge and got some pictures that are now up on my website.
https://roads.aznate.tech/highways/us80/

Also, I got some more Broadway Curve pictures, 2 new Goofs & Fails pictures, and I updated some inaccurate SR 76 info today.

AzNate

New website updates since my last post:

AzNate

More site updates today:

• Added new pictures of I-10, SR 83, and SR 90.
  • Added a video of the Superstition Freeway segment of US 60.
  • Added many new pictures to the Goofs & Fails Map thanks to NMDOT.
  • Added pictures of New Mexico I-10, I-25, and Las Cruces to the image gallery.
  • Surprising to me at least, I found a button copy sign on I-10 in New Mexico, so that's on the Button Copy Signs page now.
  • Updated the welcome sign picture for I-10 entering from New Mexico with one of my own.
  • Street View imagery finally got updated on AZ 61 and Mohave County 91, so the welcome signs on those highways have finally been added to the map.

JKRhodes

Noticed your goofs and fails section, in area around Safford.

Background on advance "TO East I-10" signage: Was installed in 2017 after I-10 traffic was diverted probably a dozen times to US 70 due to problematic orchard dust near San Simon on I-10.

It's not a goof; in this application, advance guide signage is appropriate. No need for 40,000 I-10 bound trucks to end up in the mine because they happened to see other trucks (or mine commuters) making the turn to 191 North.

https://goo.gl/maps/U7azRVaphMM2kehf6
Notice the reassurance marker for US 70 is located after the intersection, as it should be.

AzNate

I do agree, the signage for I-10 is appropriate, my point was that it felt like US 70 should've been signed together with the I-10 and US 191 directional signage. Looking at it now and at the history of the intersection signage, I think this shouldn't be on the goofs & fails map, so I'll remove it, thanks for letting me know about it.

JKRhodes

Quote from: AzNate on August 07, 2023, 09:26:38 AM
I do agree, the signage for I-10 is appropriate, my point was that it felt like US 70 should've been signed together with the I-10 and US 191 directional signage. Looking at it now and at the history of the intersection signage, I think this shouldn't be on the goofs & fails map, so I'll remove it, thanks for letting me know about it.

I see what you're saying. The TO I-10 marker should really have a US 70 shield mounted on the same post in advance of the intersection. I think mostly got hung up on the "reassurance"  verbiage when i wrote my original reply.

That's awesome that you're sort of picking up where Alan left off. Your site has a ton of cool features that weren't available, or at least weren't  easy to execute, back when his was active.  :clap: :clap:

AzNate

Quote from: JKRhodes on August 08, 2023, 12:04:19 AM
I see what you're saying. The TO I-10 marker should really have a US 70 shield mounted on the same post in advance of the intersection. I think mostly got hung up on the "reassurance"  verbiage when i wrote my original reply.

Ah, yes, that's my bad, I definitely could've worded my commentary better on that one.

Quote from: JKRhodes on August 08, 2023, 12:04:19 AM
That's awesome that you're sort of picking up where Alan left off. Your site has a ton of cool features that weren't available, or at least weren't  easy to execute, back when his was active.  :clap: :clap:

Thanks! I'm glad to hear you like the site. If you have any other feedback, suggestions, etc. to mention, I'll be happy to review them.

AzNate

Finally added a little bit of new content to the website today:

AzNate

Some more website updates:

AzNate

Just went on a trip to Yellowstone and brought back many pictures for my website, among a few other updates.

Arizona-specific stuff

• Added new pictures of SR 67, US 89, and US 89A.
  • Added pictures of the Fredonia-Vermillion Cliffs Scenic Road and the Kaibab Plateau-North Rim National Scenic Byway to the Scenic Roads page.
  • Added missing points on the Welcome Signs map for highways entering the state from Mexico.
  • Added my own picture of US 89A's welcome sign to the map too.
  • Updated years related to SR 89L's existence thanks to this Gribblenation post.

Everything else

• Added many new points to the Goofs & Fails Map across Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.
  • Added many new pictures to my image gallery of highways and scenery across Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.

AzNate

October 31st updates:

AzNate

Got some new pictures yesterday that are now added to the website:

AzNate

Happy New Year! The first website update this year is here:

• Added 2 pictures to the Goofs & Fails Map
  • Added many new pictures of the Broadway Curve Project construction progress from my backlog from last month
  • You can now jump to specific months on the Broadway Curve pictures page

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.