News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

KY 1900 marker gets utterly ruinated by whiskey fungus

Started by bandit957, August 18, 2022, 11:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Today, the Lexington Herald-Leader's website (kentucky.com) prominently displayed a photo of a KY 1900 marker that is thoroughly coated with whiskey fungus. It's up there as I speak.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

First place I ever noticed the fungus was in the valley along I-65 near the KY 245 exit. A lot of the BGSes there have that dark fungus on them. That comes from the nearby Jim Beam distillery at Clermont, from which my dad's brother retired.

I never noticed any fungus in Frankfort when I worked there or on trips in years since then, even though the smell from the Buffalo Trace distillery could be overwhelming sometimes. That is, up until a couple of years ago, when I started seeing the dark spots on some signage on US 127 and US 421. That KY 1900 sign is on US 127 going north out of Frankfort toward Owenton. And judging from the font, it's a reasonably new installation. The older signage at that intersection had taller numbers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bruce

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.