Should WISDOT acknowledge The Beltline on BGS signs in Madison?

Started by peterj920, August 19, 2022, 03:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

On I-39/I-90, the sign will say US 12/18 Madison. Wouldn't it be more helpful to place "Beltline Hwy"  underneath the US 12/18 shields since everyone calls it "The Beltline?"  Locals know what it is but acknowledging The Beltline on signs can help out of town drivers. It would be helpful to add to the US 51, John Nolen, Fish Hatchery Rd, US 14/US 151 Park St, and US 18/US 151 Verona Rd Interchanges. Most of the signs that say "Beltline Hwy"  are City of Madison signs at Whitney Way, Gammon Rd, and guide signs Downtown with a blank US highway shield.
WISDOT does have "Beltline"  signs on Todd Drive, Seminole Way, and the on ramps in the area. Wouldn't it be more helpful to acknowledge The Beltline in more signs?

SSOWorld

Quote from: peterj920 on August 19, 2022, 03:02:26 AM
On I-39/I-90, the sign will say US 12/18 Madison. Wouldn't it be more helpful to place "Beltline Hwy"  underneath the US 12/18 shields since everyone calls it "The Beltline?"  Locals know what it is but acknowledging The Beltline on signs can help out of town drivers. It would be helpful to add to the US 51, John Nolen, Fish Hatchery Rd, US 14/US 151 Park St, and US 18/US 151 Verona Rd Interchanges. Most of the signs that say "Beltline Hwy"  are City of Madison signs at Whitney Way, Gammon Rd, and guide signs Downtown with a blank US highway shield.
WISDOT does have "Beltline"  signs on Todd Drive, Seminole Way, and the on ramps in the area. Wouldn't it be more helpful to acknowledge The Beltline in more signs?
They don't acknowledge anything in Milwaukee (Marquette Interchange, Zoo Interchange, etc).
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SEWIGuy

It could be. I am not sure how much confusion it causes.

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 19, 2022, 05:56:58 AM
They don't acknowledge anything in Milwaukee (Marquette Interchange, Zoo Interchange, etc).

I don't think interchanges are mentioned much on BGSs. If ever? I have seen interchange distances and times on the traffic signs in the Milwaukee area.

tchafe1978

Do other cities like Chicago put the expressway/freeway names on guide signs or just the route shields?

Big John

Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 19, 2022, 10:10:49 AM
Do other cities like Chicago put the expressway/freeway names on guide signs or just the route shields?
Yes, they do for Chicago.

thspfc

At the Beltline + I-39/90 interchange I wouldn't mind "Beltline Hwy"  being the control for US-12/18 WB. "Madison"  doesn't really help as you're already in Madison and it's very ambiguous.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on August 19, 2022, 11:55:23 AM
At the Beltline + I-39/90 interchange I wouldn't mind "Beltline Hwy"  being the control for US-12/18 WB. "Madison"  doesn't really help as you're already in Madison and it's very ambiguous.

It makes perfect sense to have "Madison" when "Cambridge" is the other control city. Sure you are technically IN Madison, but 99% of the city lies west of the interchange.

That being said, putting "Beltline Hwy" under Madison is fine by me.

froggie

You already have US 12 shown.  As that's the (only) route that follows the entirety of the Beltline, you have the Beltline covered.

Also, IIRC, FHWA and/or the MUTCD frown upon having both road/street names and control cities on the same sign.  You could theoretically include the Beltline, but then you'd have to ditch Cambridge.

The Ghostbuster

I wouldn't oppose guide signs identifing the Beltline Highway name, but I doubt it will happen. How many people outside of the Madison area know or refer to the entirety of the US 12/14/18/151 freeway as "the Beltline"?

dvferyance

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 19, 2022, 02:17:09 PM
I wouldn't oppose guide signs identifing the Beltline Highway name, but I doubt it will happen. How many people outside of the Madison area know or refer to the entirety of the US 12/14/18/151 freeway as "the Beltline"?
If they are going to add anything it should be Dodgeville since that is where US 18 goes.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: froggie on August 19, 2022, 12:39:30 PM
You already have US 12 shown.  As that's the (only) route that follows the entirety of the Beltline, you have the Beltline covered.

Also, IIRC, FHWA and/or the MUTCD frown upon having both road/street names and control cities on the same sign.  You could theoretically include the Beltline, but then you'd have to ditch Cambridge.

They could add a supplemental BGS saying "Beltline Hwy Exit 142A" (with or without 12/18 shields), which I think might solve the problems without cluttering up existing signs.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

thspfc

Quote from: dvferyance on August 19, 2022, 05:44:59 PM
If they are going to add anything it should be Dodgeville since that is where US 18 goes.
Dodgeville should be removed as a major control city on US-18/151 in Madison. There's absolutely no metric in which Dodgeville is more worthy of being the control city than Verona is. I'm guessing Dodgeville was the control before Verona became as big as it is, and they didn't bother to change it when they installed new signs a few years ago.

skluth

Quote from: thspfc on August 19, 2022, 06:50:14 PM
Dodgeville should be removed as a major control city on US-18/151 in Madison. There's absolutely no metric in which Dodgeville is more worthy of being the control city than Verona is. I'm guessing Dodgeville was the control before Verona became as big as it is, and they didn't bother to change it when they installed new signs a few years ago.

I think most people in Wisconsin know where Dodgeville is. It's the home of Lands End and where US 151 turns south to Dubuque and Mineral Point. It's like Tomah; not significant by itself but important for its location.

SEWIGuy

If anything it would be Dubuque, but neither makes much sense.

froggie

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 19, 2022, 06:19:29 PM
Quote from: froggie on August 19, 2022, 12:39:30 PM

They could add a supplemental BGS saying "Beltline Hwy Exit 142A" (with or without 12/18 shields), which I think might solve the problems without cluttering up existing signs.

Yes that would be an option that's MUTCD-compliant.

KCRoadFan

I'm just surprised Wisconsin hasn't already started referring to the Beltline as I-194 or I-390, or something like that. If I were WISDOT, that's what I'd be doing.

froggie

^ Pretty sure there's a category or three of Interstate standards that the Beltline is short on.  Nevermind that there isn't any real benefit for WisDOT to do so.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: froggie on August 19, 2022, 11:20:03 PM
^ Pretty sure there's a category or three of Interstate standards that the Beltline is short on.  Nevermind that there isn't any real benefit for WisDOT to do so.

Given Wisconsin practice, it would just be another shield added to the large mess that's already there anyway.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

peterj920

The only named interchange that I see signage for in Wisconsin is the Michael G. Ellis Memorial Interchange on US 10 and I-41. Here's a look from google street view.

https://goo.gl/maps/YdkuGbLAsJEjqaGY6

thspfc

Quote from: skluth on August 19, 2022, 07:12:38 PM
Quote from: thspfc on August 19, 2022, 06:50:14 PM

I think most people in Wisconsin know where Dodgeville is. It's the home of Lands End and where US 151 turns south to Dubuque and Mineral Point. It's like Tomah; not significant by itself but important for its location.
I think most people in Wisconsin know where Verona is. It's the home of Epic and where WI-69 turns south to New Glarus and Monroe. It's like Sun Prairie; quite significant by itself.

And you woefully missed my point anyways.

There's absolutely no metric in which Dodgeville is more worthy of being the control city than Verona is.

thspfc

Quote from: peterj920 on August 20, 2022, 04:21:22 PM

The only named interchange that I see signage for in Wisconsin is the Michael G. Ellis Memorial Interchange on US 10 and I-41. Here's a look from google street view.

Somewhat off topic, but the "memorial highways"  in Wisconsin are out of control. In Stevens Point, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Hwy, Korean War Veterans Memorial Hwy, and Polish Heritage Memorial Hwy run concurrently.

Like, when every single road is memorializing something, then it's just meaningless. US-14 being the Frank Lloyd Wright Memorial Highway? That's pretty cool, makes sense because a lot of Wright's architecture is along that corridor. But everything being memorialized by some random highway with no connection is an empty gesture.

Molandfreak

Quote from: thspfc on August 20, 2022, 06:50:46 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on August 20, 2022, 04:21:22 PM

Somewhat off topic, but the "memorial highways"  in Wisconsin are out of control. In Stevens Point, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Hwy, Korean War Veterans Memorial Hwy, and Polish Heritage Memorial Hwy run concurrently.

Like, when every single road is memorializing something, then it's just meaningless. US-14 being the Frank Lloyd Wright Memorial Highway? That's pretty cool, makes sense because a lot of Wright's architecture is along that corridor. But everything being memorialized by some random highway with no connection is an empty gesture.
Especially when Google feels the need to spell out "Wisconsin Firefighters and Emergency Medical Technicians Highway"  across the entirety of WIS 54.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

mgk920

Blame the legislature for those Names, not WisDOT.  Ellis was a somewhat flamboyant state senator from Neenah, WI.

At least they did retire the World War I veterans' memorial highway (WI 29) name after the last known living combat veteran of that War in the state died several years ago.

Mike

Molandfreak

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 20, 2022, 11:51:03 AM
Quote from: froggie on August 19, 2022, 11:20:03 PM

Given Wisconsin practice, it would just be another shield added to the large mess that's already there anyway.
But it would give a bit of clarity in the middle of the madness. I don't really get the argument that "US 12 is the anchor for the highway, that's good enough"  when there are no fewer than 3 other US highways entering and exiting the beltline at different points, one of which continues as a freeway after leaving the beltway. A separate designation doesn't really need to happen to provide this clarity, though, just include "beltline highway"  on some BGS reassurance shields at the interchanges where one highway leaves the beltline.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Molandfreak

Quote from: mgk920 on August 20, 2022, 10:37:09 PM
At least they did retire the World War I veterans' memorial highway (WI 29) name after the last known living combat veteran of that War in the state died several years ago.
Citation needed? Why is it still included in the official WisDOT commemorative designation page?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.