News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why are people here way to serious

Started by roadman65, November 09, 2022, 06:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on November 10, 2022, 12:41:05 PM
Quote from: index on November 10, 2022, 12:34:04 PM
I just don't see the harm or why it's so wrong. I think it can be valid and enjoyable to discuss fictional situations so long as it's not literally impossible ... I for one have discussed with friends, drawn up a bunch of weird maps, drawn up roads ... I enjoy it. If you don't like the thread, then just don't participate.

The issue is that, if a majority of the people don't enjoy it, then the whole thread becomes annoying for them.  If the whole thread is about a ridiculous idea, then they can simply ignore it.  But, if ridiculous ideas take over an otherwise fun and interesting fictional thread, then what?

A good example would be the "should I-11 take over I-19"  thread.  We don't need to hear about Reno being part of I-11 and the Feds suddenly wanting to make 90% funding contributions.  The user in question has been asked to preform a self-reality check but has decided to engage what was a decent discussion with nonsense. 

index

I just don't see the harm or why it's so wrong. I think it can be valid and enjoyable to discuss fictional situations so long as it's not literally impossible ... I for one have discussed with friends, drawn up a bunch of weird maps, drawn up roads ... I enjoy it. If you don't like the thread, then just don't participate.

The issue is that, if a majority of the people don't enjoy it, then the whole thread becomes annoying for them.  If the whole thread is about a ridiculous idea, then they can simply ignore it.  But, if ridiculous ideas take over an otherwise fun and interesting fictional thread, then what?

Is that what's been going on? I haven't been active here too much as of late.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

formulanone

Or just ignore *that* thread or *that* user. If they spill over into the other threads, notify a mod. It's easy to pick on the newbies but it's tiresome and wasteful to everyone else.

Always giving one's two cents is not to be confused with charity.

roadman65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 10, 2022, 12:53:14 PM

A good example would be the “should I-11 take over I-19” thread.  We don’t need to hear about Reno being part of I-11 and the Feds suddenly wanting to make 90% funding contributions.  The user in question has been asked to preform a self-reality check but has decided to engage what was a decent discussion with nonsense. 

I’m talking about new posts or first time suggestions.  Yes if a person is persistent like Ethan, Desiel, or this new guy who I think you’re talking about.  However, one time I made a suggestion or two with some merit, and got scolded for even thinking about the idea behind it.  Then there are those suggestions you make to non road geeks that you make here also, that get you the riot act.

Plus some on here hold grudges for things unrelated to roads that you talked about on Social Media and react to you because of those things you stated on FB or Twitter.  Heck I got black listed from a potential other road forum hosted by a user on FB who didn’t like my views there on religion and politics.  I found out from the owner of AARoads that the forum existed and was already banned from it before I could even join.

Then there is the Spelling and Grammar Nazi on here.  Yes we should spell words correctly if we can or use correct grammar as well, but this one user gets overly upset when I misspell a word or even use “ Caption” over “ Capture” as he said this” I think road man has it in for me, and purposely uses bad grammar to piss me off!”  Of course I did not do it deliberately nor was my intent to piss him off, especially when my fears coming on this forum is the result of pissing off one said user and a moderator who has it in for me for other reasons.

Then once on FB I spelled Louis Ferrakhan wrong and told me hastily that it’s spelled such and such and not the way I attempted it.That of course got the OP to remove his FB post due to the fact he didn’t want a political war on his wall.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: formulanone on November 10, 2022, 01:17:41 PM

Or just ignore *that* thread or *that* user. If they spill over into the other threads, notify a mod. It's easy to pick on the newbies but it's tiresome and wasteful to everyone else.

Always giving one's two cents is not to be confused with charity.

Not to mention the fact we blame a new user for a post a previous user once made years ago.  Just like we erupt at the telemarketing rep who offers us the same product or service that a rude telemarketer once offered several weeks ago.  It’s natural to be on guard that way. In fact don’t even suggest extending I-76 to Atlantic City anymore as it’s been so old and overly suggested in the past.

Then I once posted a Bud Schuster joke and got accused of Necroposting, despite the same time NE 2 cracked his own Schuster joke.  Yet a user named Interstating blasted me to Moderator Alps to ban me from here, but had no reaction to NE2 when he necroposted Bud Schuster. 

To me I felt picked on personally, but later found out about the troll on MTR named Blawpe or Blawp, who Interstating was alias for, who was a big annoyance on MTR from what I’ve heard.  I’m guessing he personally knew NE 2, so he tolerated his behavior or just didn’t notice the SPUI necro post.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on November 10, 2022, 01:21:19 PM
... a potential other road forum ... on FB ...

*groan*  Not this again.  Nobody on this forum has to justify actions on another site.  We don't need to hear about your Facebook drama.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Then there is the Spelling and Grammar Nazi on here.  Yes we should spell words correctly if we can or use correct grammar as well, but this one user gets overly upset when I misspell a word or even use " Caption"  over " Capture"  as he said this"  I think road man has it in for me, and purposely uses bad grammar to piss me off!"   Of course I did not do it deliberately nor was my intent to piss him off, especially when my fears coming on this forum is the result of pissing off one said user and a moderator who has it in for me for other reasons.

Quote from: roadman65 on November 10, 2022, 01:30:33 PM
Then I once posted a Bud Schuster joke and got accused of Necroposting, despite the same time NE 2 cracked his own Schuster joke.  Yet a user named Interstating blasted me to Moderator Alps to ban me from here, but had no reaction to NE2 when he necroposted Bud Schuster. 

To me I felt picked on personally, but later found out about the troll on MTR named Blawpe or Blawp, who Interstating was alias for, who was a big annoyance on MTR from what I've heard.  I'm guessing he personally knew NE 2, so he tolerated his behavior or just didn't notice the SPUI necro post.

This sounds a lot like you posted something people didn't like, and instead of taking responsibility for that and either living with the fact that someone didn't like it, or changing what you post to make sure that doesn't happen again, you've decided to blame everyone else for it.

If someone is complaining that you are necroposting, that is on you. It is not as if the date of a post can only be found by looking inside the air intake manifold of a specific 1972 AMC Gremlin in Laramie, Wyoming. It's at the top of every single post. If you failed to look at it, it is your fault.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: formulanone on November 10, 2022, 11:37:25 AM
Quote from: webny99 on November 09, 2022, 10:37:05 AM
I just stopped here on the way to Serious.

I was going to give a detailed package of reasons, but this was the best response. :)

(Especially because I don't understand these drama-of-the-moment concerns.)

Thanks, I was hoping someone would notice that one!

Flint1979

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 09, 2022, 03:54:55 PM
Quote from: skluth on November 09, 2022, 02:28:43 PM
Frankly, I find some posters devotion to the grid almost religious in nature.  Yes, this is an opinion. The grid is a guide and from my POV only the most egregious violations (e.g. I-99) bother me while highways that cross each other and only violate the grid in at one end (e.g., I-40 and I-44) don't bother me at all. Just using this as an example. If you disagree, fine. But, IMO, you're wrong. But this is fundamentally an opinion.

My opinion is that the grid should be rigid for the x0 and x5 interstates. For any other 2di, it ought to fit in the grid at some point, with two considerations.

1) the nature of our cities requires some diagonal interstates and renumbering a long interstate each time it crosses and x5 or x0 is impractical Example: I-69 is between I-65 and I-75 from Indianapolis to Port Huron, but then violates the grid south of Indy. It's impractical to change its number each time it crosses an x5, which would require 4 additional numbers once it's all built.

2) new interstates come into existence where no number fitting into the grid is available, and wholesale renumbering in order to make it fit is impractical
Keep in mind though that I-69 changes direction in Lansing and gets east of I-75 after it goes through Flint.

Flint1979

I don't think I take much seriously I used to be more of an ass but it gets boring after awhile. If I'm acting like an ass most of the time I'm doing it on purpose. As far as Fritzowl goes, I don't really care one way or the other because I have come to find his proposals pretty boring and I attacked a lot of his posts but after awhile he wouldn't reply, wouldn't answer any questions anyone asked so I figured screw it this is boring and went awhile without posting in his thread. I'll still look at his thread but a lot of times will just read a post then leave the thread without posting anything.

I mostly attacked his Michigan proposals like making US-23 south of Flint into I-875 for no reason at all, making the Lodge, Southfield and Davison Freeway's into Interstate's when I believe only the Davison is up to Interstate standards, making the Ambassador Bridge and Detroit-Windsor Tunnel into Interstates when neither one is anywhere close to Interstate standards, making US-131 into an Interstate, building an E-W Interstate across the Upper Peninsula and other things. He probably has US-10 as an Interstate between Farwell and Bay City too unless he isn't aware that it's a freeway there. Oh well though none of those things I mentioned are going to happen.

roadman65

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 10, 2022, 02:20:27 PM
Then there is the Spelling and Grammar Nazi on here.  Yes we should spell words correctly if we can or use correct grammar as well, but this one user gets overly upset when I misspell a word or even use " Caption"  over " Capture"  as he said this"  I think road man has it in for me, and purposely uses bad grammar to piss me off!"   Of course I did not do it deliberately nor was my intent to piss him off, especially when my fears coming on this forum is the result of pissing off one said user and a moderator who has it in for me for other reasons.

Quote from: roadman65 on November 10, 2022, 01:30:33 PM

To me I felt picked on personally, but later found out about the troll on MTR named Blawpe or Blawp, who Interstating was alias for, who was a big annoyance on MTR from what I've heard.  I'm guessing he personally knew NE 2, so he tolerated his behavior or just didn't notice the SPUI necro post.

This sounds a lot like you posted something people didn't like, and instead of taking responsibility for that and either living with the fact that someone didn't like it, or changing what you post to make sure that doesn't happen again, you've decided to blame everyone else for it.

If someone is complaining that you are necroposting, that is on you. It is not as if the date of a post can only be found by looking inside the air intake manifold of a specific 1972 AMC Gremlin in Laramie, Wyoming. It's at the top of every single post. If you failed to look at it, it is your fault.

I'm not complaining.  I'm not jealous either, however Blawpe was way before my time on here, and I moved on from telling old necro jokes about certain old politicians.

I just wasn't aware of the Blawpe thing and that he had some issues and he was not well received by many on here anyway.  Yes. I Was new and didn't realize that certain things were old too, but whether Blawpe was a troll or not I got his message and haven't mentioned ole Buddy much since. Though, when your new and you see others get away breaking forum rules, you will wonder too why you're being singled out too.

Now I know shit happens in life and there will always be rules allowed to be broken by some and enforced on others not only in this forum but outside your doorstep.  Look at your own leadership.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on November 10, 2022, 01:52:33 PM

*groan*  Not this again.  Nobody on this forum has to justify actions on another site.  We don't need to hear about your Facebook drama.

You're forgetting that there was an attempt a few years ago to ban me from this forum because of something I posted on Facebook.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on November 11, 2022, 06:58:41 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 10, 2022, 01:52:33 PM

You're forgetting that there was an attempt a few years ago to ban me from this forum because of something I posted on Facebook.
I suppose we've just come to accept your controversial old cantankerous self.  Congratulations, you're old enough not to be cancelled for your off-AARoads forum offensiveness. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 09, 2022, 01:49:34 PM
I don't mind FritzOwl as much, as he keeps his fictional musings in his own thread. Meanwhile, the new guy with like 30 posts per day average a week after joining are serious about their "fictional" plans being implemented in reality and keeps bombarding non-fictional threads with them, so we treat their plans more critically and seriously than someone that knows their plan is fictional.

And my guess about the I-82 numbering (as well as the numbering of I-238 and I-99, etc) are that they're dead horses we're continuously beating, so they're getting old at this point.
Back in the day (as the saying goes), FritzOwl did his musings all over the place until he was restricted to Fictional.

It's also important to remember here that many here, including me, are 'on the spectrum' which means it's often harder to understand context. I know I've pissed off people here, sometimes intentionally, but often it's just a misunderstanding and we're agreeing while looking like we're disagreeing. Often I even find myself arguing minor points that matter very little outside the main point; it's easy enough to do with the nature of threading. And sometimes one of us is just wrong or we just have different opinions. I think many of us here (including me) don't like that others have different opinions.

Frankly, I find some posters devotion to the grid almost religious in nature.  Yes, this is an opinion. The grid is a guide and from my POV only the most egregious violations (e.g. I-99) bother me while highways that cross each other and only violate the grid in at one end (e.g., I-40 and I-44) don't bother me at all. Just using this as an example. If you disagree, fine. But, IMO, you're wrong. But this is fundamentally an opinion.
how dare i-93 pass inside i-95 in boston

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Alps on November 11, 2022, 11:13:43 PM
I don't mind FritzOwl as much, as he keeps his fictional musings in his own thread. Meanwhile, the new guy with like 30 posts per day average a week after joining are serious about their "fictional" plans being implemented in reality and keeps bombarding non-fictional threads with them, so we treat their plans more critically and seriously than someone that knows their plan is fictional.

And my guess about the I-82 numbering (as well as the numbering of I-238 and I-99, etc) are that they're dead horses we're continuously beating, so they're getting old at this point.
Back in the day (as the saying goes), FritzOwl did his musings all over the place until he was restricted to Fictional.

It's also important to remember here that many here, including me, are 'on the spectrum' which means it's often harder to understand context. I know I've pissed off people here, sometimes intentionally, but often it's just a misunderstanding and we're agreeing while looking like we're disagreeing. Often I even find myself arguing minor points that matter very little outside the main point; it's easy enough to do with the nature of threading. And sometimes one of us is just wrong or we just have different opinions. I think many of us here (including me) don't like that others have different opinions.

It doesn't.  I-95 ceases to exist in Canton and re-emerges in Peabody.  The in-between is and will always be MA 128.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

froggie

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 12, 2022, 12:29:53 AM

It doesn't.  I-95 ceases to exist in Canton and re-emerges in Peabody.  The in-between is and will always be MA 128.

More proof that Boston's roads were created by drunk Irishmen...

JoePCool14

Maybe "Just for fun!" should be added to the board's description to reiterate that that's all the board is: for fun.

Is the problem that Person A is hijacking or injecting their own ideas into Person B's thread? Maybe there needs to be a rule against that if there isn't already.

I don't really use the Fictional board much, but the idea that there's drama on something like that is rather amusing.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

roadman65

Then there’s MultimillionMiler who is another Deizlsaab except with different focus.

The Chicago troll was obsessed with missing ramps on the Eden’s Spur of the Tristate as well as no one supporting his hypotenuse proposal.  However, this man is obsessed with the fact the State of New Jersey allow for the NJTA to charge expensively high tolls.

Talk about taking things way to serious.  He won’t realize that his rants are not going to get NJTA to lower toll fares on the NJ Turnpike. Yet he wants us to know how pissed he is about NJ Beurocrisy but at the same time admitting he won’t write his rant to the deadbeats in office who have control, but personal loyalties prevail to their organizations.

Oh, and if the MIT grads on here want to take my misspelled word real serious, blame your cyber buddy Spell Correct who wouldn’t suggest the proper spelling of the word when I attempted to write it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2022, 12:45:10 PM
Then there's MultimillionMiler who is another Deizlsaab except with different focus.

DZ was just as obsessed with the Sabb brand as he was with the Hypotenuse.  The Sabbifesto in particular is becoming quaint in this increasingly EV-centric automotive world:

http://dzlsabe.com/aboutus.html

roadman65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 12, 2022, 01:07:25 PM
Then there's MultimillionMiler who is another Deizlsaab except with different focus.

DZ was just as obsessed with the Sabb brand as he was with the Hypotenuse.  The Sabbifesto in particular is becoming quaint in this increasingly EV-centric automotive world:

And he was also obsessed with people outside Chicagoland getting more or equal attention as the big metro is from Illinois state government.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2022, 01:13:48 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 12, 2022, 01:07:25 PM

And he was also obsessed with people outside Chicagoland getting more or equal attention as the big metro is from Illinois state government.

I do wonder though, what was DZ's stance on Illinois being flat?

Alps

The Chicago troll was obsessed with missing ramps on the Eden's Spur of the Tristate as well as no one supporting his hypotenuse proposal.  However, this man is obsessed with the fact the State of New Jersey allow for the NJTA to charge expensively high tolls.

Talk about taking things way to serious.  He won't realize that his rants are not going to get NJTA to lower toll fares on the NJ Turnpike. Yet he wants us to know how pissed he is about NJ Beurocrisy but at the same time admitting he won't write his rant to the deadbeats in office who have control, but personal loyalties prevail to their organizations.

Oh, and if the MIT grads on here want to take my misspelled word real serious, blame your cyber buddy Spell Correct who wouldn't suggest the proper spelling of the word when I attempted to write it.
done and done </hipocrasy>

kirbykart

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 09, 2022, 07:16:07 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 09, 2022, 07:12:01 PM

Quote from: kphoger on November 09, 2022, 01:10:01 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 09, 2022, 06:43:46 AM
It seems we insult people we haven't met or know who they are here.

This is true.  It's much easier to be mean on a keyboard than it is in person.  I'm probably guilty of this more than anyone, and I owe everyone an apology.

Accepted.

Maybe the two of you can make up over a nice meal at Olive Garden.

We need to build an Olive Garden in Joliet.

SectorZ

Quote from: froggie on November 12, 2022, 06:22:54 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 12, 2022, 12:29:53 AM

More proof that Boston's roads were created by drunk Irishmen...

Mobbed up Italians had a hand as well. My people want their due credit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.