News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ask a Local

Started by roadman65, December 27, 2022, 06:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Questions about something local to be answered by a local or someone knowing about an area.

My question is what happened to JRs Outlet in Selma, NC at I-95 and US 70. I see by GSV it's closed. Considering it was a place to shop for many, I'm assuming that someone on top mismanaged it and it went red.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Checking GMSV, it has been slowly shrinking for 10+ years down to just the tobacco shop.

Then according to their CEO, they closed for the pandemic.  Google reviews suggest the tobacco shop is still open.

roadman65

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 27, 2022, 06:46:39 PM
Checking GMSV, it has been slowly shrinking for 10+ years down to just the tobacco shop.

Then according to their CEO, they closed for the pandemic.  Google reviews suggest the tobacco shop is still open.
. I can only get 2019 images as it doesn't offer the previous years like everyplace else.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

I've generally found local opinions on stuff like road conditions to be wildly inaccurate.  If I feel compelled to ask around regarding a road or something like a trail about 90% the best answer comes from me taking the initiative to go see.  I find this interesting given a lot of old highway maps used to display "inquire about conditions locally."

That said, I did get some reliable intel about an eight mile slide on Piilani Highway when I got to Maui earlier this year.  I asked someone at the rental car agency and he surprisingly had a detailed answer. 

Flint1979

I tend to find asking a local at times isn't the best thing to do because half the time they don't seem to know what they are talking about or don't know the answer to something that you'd think a local should know the answer to. Like how do you get to I-75 from here? Of course with GPS systems now you really don't need to ask any local since you can get your answer from the GPS system.

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on December 27, 2022, 06:50:21 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on December 27, 2022, 06:46:39 PM

. I can only get 2019 images as it doesn't offer the previous years like everyplace else.

Here is March 2022 - https://goo.gl/maps/gvthqv5aKhr91F1Y9

roadman65

Looks like a Food Hall is replacing the outlet part. 

Not that I shopped there often , but I did like the fact they carried my sizes in jeans.  However traveling 653.2 miles is not my idea of going shopping. I only frequented there the few times I drove I-95.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 27, 2022, 07:16:03 PM
I tend to find asking a local at times isn't the best thing to do because half the time they don't seem to know what they are talking about or don't know the answer to something that you'd think a local should know the answer to. Like how do you get to I-75 from here? Of course with GPS systems now you really don't need to ask any local since you can get your answer from the GPS system.
At worst, I've had the experience where the local tries to exploit you for cash by illegally gatekeeping your destination.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dfilpus

Both the JR's in Smithfield and Burlington NC closed their outlet business years ago, becoming just a tobacco shop. The building in Burlington is mostly unused. It began life as a small enclosed mall, which failed and became a large JR's back in the 1990's.

cjk374

The morning of my Natchez meet last year, I went to an old truss bridge I had on my itinerary. I knew nothing about the bridge's history, as it had been closed for what looked like decades. There were some folks fishing in that creek when I was there and I decided to ask if they knew anything about it. They told me the bridge was built by the farmer that owned, at the time, all of the surrounding land. He used it to shuttle his equipment from one side of the creek to the other.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.