News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Families and kids poll time

Started by Roadgeekteen, February 23, 2023, 10:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you have/want kids?

I already have kids and want more in the future
1 (2.4%)
I already have kids and I'm done having them
7 (17.1%)
I have kids and grandkids
3 (7.3%)
I don't have kids but I want them in the future
6 (14.6%)
I don't have kids but I might want then in the future
12 (29.3%)
I don't have kids and I don't want any in the future
12 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kkt on February 25, 2023, 08:17:13 PM
It's funny how attitudes change.  I felt more irritation than concern about crying babies, but when I had my own I felt more concern, not only about my baby but about crying babies in general.  And I still do, even though my child is long past the crying stage.

100%. If there weren't so many creepy people out there, I'd happily be the guy that tried to help a stranger's kiddo when they're crying on a plane. Before I would have just thrown on my noise cancelling headphones.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: SectorZ on February 25, 2023, 08:23:07 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 24, 2023, 04:22:23 PM
Agreed. Personally, I would rather drive without car insurance than live without health insurance.

Of course you would risk someone's else financial future at the expense of your own. Talk about selfish. Maybe we need helicopters with grappling hooks to yank the uninsured cars off the roads.

Well if they actually made prices reasonable people wouldn't have selfish attitudes like that. I am insured. My parents pay my car insurance in full every 6 months.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 25, 2023, 08:52:40 PM
Agreed. Personally, I would rather drive without car insurance than live without health insurance.

Of course you would risk someone's else financial future at the expense of your own. Talk about selfish. Maybe we need helicopters with grappling hooks to yank the uninsured cars off the roads.

Well if they actually made prices reasonable people wouldn't have selfish attitudes like that. I am insured. My parents pay my car insurance in full every 6 months.

Must be nice being kept man. 

Scott5114

I dunno, I feel like my car insurance rates are reasonable.

The health insurance people can go suck an egg.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 25, 2023, 09:01:32 PM
I dunno, I feel like my car insurance rates are reasonable.

The health insurance people can go suck an egg.

Agreed. Full coverage with full glass replacement on my relatively expensive car is only $55 a month. My health insurance between my son and myself, despite neither of us ever having medical issues, costs $200 a month and that's a pretty good price compared to a lot of what others pay.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 25, 2023, 09:16:03 PM
It's like $800-900 for one car and $500-600 for the other car. The increased rate on one of the cars is probably because I'm in the <25 age bracket, even though both cars are registered in my dad's name, all they have to do is see one driver in that age group on the plan and hike the rates on either car. When does that increased rate end btw? At 25, 27, 28? I can't imagine what it is for families with 2-3 teens and multiple cars.

Sounds like you better get a job.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 25, 2023, 09:24:16 PM
Even when I have a job, no way am I paying that ageist amount out of MY paycheck lol. Monthly interest on my savings account can completely cover my gas for joyriding if I reduce it a bit. And if we couldn't afford it I would just switch myself to the bare minimum insurance possible that's just enough to be legal.

Must be nice being a kept man. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 25, 2023, 09:24:16 PM
Even when I have a job, no way am I paying that ageist amount out of MY paycheck lol. Monthly interest on my savings account can completely cover my gas for joyriding if I reduce it a bit. And if we couldn't afford it I would just switch myself to the bare minimum insurance possible that's just enough to be legal.

It ain't ageism homey. It's called underwriting and your demographic is the most likely to fuck up their car, hence you pay more.

MultiMillionMiler

Sounds like a money grabbing excuse to me. Aside from it being unconstitutional to punish an entire group of people for the actions of a few, there's no way my age group is as more dangerous than other drivers proportional to the rate increases. I have a perfect driving record, who uses a 5 second rule on the highway, so what exactly am I paying for? Men also may pay more but that is because they drive more miles. The per mile accident rate is actually slightly higher for women.

csw

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 25, 2023, 09:58:19 PM
Sounds like a money grabbing excuse to me. Aside from it being unconstitutional to punish an entire group of people for the actions of a few, there's no way my age group is as more dangerous than other drivers proportional to the rate increases. I have a perfect driving record, who uses a 5 second rule on the highway, so what exactly am I paying for? Men also may pay more but that is because they drive more miles. The per mile accident rate is actually slightly higher for women.
Congratulations, this is a big milestone in your life - for you have just learned the ultimate life lesson, called "Life Ain't Fair".

JayhawkCO

You'd be a terrible insurance company CEO. Young men are way more likely to get in serious car accidents. Your demographic has a feeling of invincibility, and your posting history leads me to believe you're not an exception. Your demographic speeds more, drinks and drives more, has more road rage, etc. And because nothing ever happens to them, because of pure probability, they continue to do it. There's a chance you're a statistical anomaly to your demographic, but again, based on things you've posted, I doubt it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 25, 2023, 10:06:43 PM
Well again thankfully "I" am not the one paying for it, but it is still disgusting. It's also a fact that older drivers are more likely to be in a crash that results in death.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 25, 2023, 10:13:52 PM
I have no such feelings of, and I don't drink. Do my 67 mph speed limits w/speed cameras on cross country US Routes posts really give off those vibes? Oh, And my perfect driving record isn't a feeling, it's a fact. My traffic ticket rate is currently 0 per 8 years and an accident rate of 0 per 119,450 miles.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 25, 2023, 10:13:52 PM
I have no such feelings of, and I don't drink. Do my 67 mph speed limits w/speed cameras on cross country US Routes posts really give off those vibes? Oh, And my perfect driving record isn't a feeling, it's a fact. My traffic ticket rate is currently 0 per 8 years and an accident rate of 0 per 119,450 miles.

Again, the plural of anecdote is not data. You've talked about hypermiling and whatnot, which means aggressive acceleration, which is not a safe driving practice. And bluntly, your posting style of thinking you know absolutely everything and no one that actually has more experience than yourself has an opinion worth considering means that you are squarely in my "I can do no wrong" demographic. I only judge you because I used to be there as well around your age. But you'd be wise to at least have the slightest inclination that you are "acting your age" and that's what insurance companies care about -- it's about probabilities.

Also...

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 31, 2023, 09:06:26 PM
What's the worst offense that you got pulled over for but didn't get a ticket? My worst warning for a moving violation was last year for driving 73 mph on the Belt Parkway In Queens, New York City. The cop was driving on the road near me in an unmarked car but didn't flip the lights on until I crossed 70 mph. No ticket! Thanks to that I still have a perfect driving record free of moving violations.

Roadgeekteen

How did this thread go from talking about kids and families to car insurance? Stop derailing threads MMM, if you want to talk about car insurance do it somewhere else.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 25, 2023, 10:26:03 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 25, 2023, 10:25:20 PM
Hypermiling is gradual acceleration. Rapid acceleration burns more gas. Online behavior isn't indicative of personality. Most people express their alter ego online. Much healthier to vent online than in real life situations. And what posts indicate "I can do no wrong"? What do my fictional highway plans have to do with my driving ability? I rarely brag about my perfect driving record, if I even mentioned it at all before now. It's not that impressive until you hit 10+ years ticket free. Do people really think that the 3% of the brain that isn't finished developing between 23 and 25 has such an an effect  on behavior? In fact, I think I drive slightly faster now than when I was 18-19.
Did you not read my comment?

At least he posted about possibly never having bragged about his clean driving record right after I quoted him bragging about his perfect driving record. :)

Scott5114

Sounds like a money grabbing excuse to me. Aside from it being unconstitutional to punish an entire group of people for the actions of a few

Wait, wait, wait. Back up. Under what clause?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 25, 2023, 08:52:40 PM

"They"?  Who is "They" who can magically repeal the law of supply and demand?  Wars block the oil supply, and increase oil consumption, ta da!  Prices go up.

kkt

Putting people in risk groups for various kinds of insurance has been established practice for decades, maybe centuries.  I pay less for car insurance than you probably do, but more for health insurance.  C'est la vie.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.