News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ford applies for patent on car that can automatically repossess itself

Started by ZLoth, March 06, 2023, 03:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skluth

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 07, 2023, 10:58:35 AM
The entire idea of a self-repossesing car is predicated upon the assumption that self driving technology will be physically able and legally allowable on public roads.  And I mean true self-driving, not this Tesla thing where it can sort of drive itself under ideal conditions but always with a human driver ready to take over.

While one can argue we are closing in on the former, I don't think the latter is a guarantee. There's going to be a mish-mash of state and local laws covering the legality of driverless automobiles for a long time, I figure, until the technology hits some kind of critical mass where it becomes politically expedient to do something at the federal level.  The first time a truly autonomous vehicle hits and kills someone, the lawsuits will fly and the process of making driverless cars legal will bog down massively.

Which is quite absurd considering human drivers kill tens of thousands of people every single year, but if one robot car does it, suddenly it's Skynet trying to bump us off!

You haven't been keeping up. Self-driving cars are already here.

kalvado

Quote from: skluth on March 08, 2023, 05:38:00 PM
The entire idea of a self-repossesing car is predicated upon the assumption that self driving technology will be physically able and legally allowable on public roads.  And I mean true self-driving, not this Tesla thing where it can sort of drive itself under ideal conditions but always with a human driver ready to take over.

While one can argue we are closing in on the former, I don't think the latter is a guarantee. There's going to be a mish-mash of state and local laws covering the legality of driverless automobiles for a long time, I figure, until the technology hits some kind of critical mass where it becomes politically expedient to do something at the federal level.  The first time a truly autonomous vehicle hits and kills someone, the lawsuits will fly and the process of making driverless cars legal will bog down massively.

Which is quite absurd considering human drivers kill tens of thousands of people every single year, but if one robot car does it, suddenly it's Skynet trying to bump us off!

Looks like there is a lot of remote control involved...

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: skluth on March 08, 2023, 05:38:00 PM

That is the stupidest looking car I have ever seen. 

Big John

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

I almost posted the Aztec too, but it seemed like too easy of an example. :D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.