News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Last time you buyed a print newspaper

Started by bandit957, March 26, 2023, 01:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2023, 06:29:32 PM
Above the fold, even. The other front page stories were: "Rural healthcare goes remote", "Lawmakers call Ethics Commission 'rogue' agency", and "OU Foundation withdraws arena plans".

No matter what extreme a government leans to, the ones that go to extremes never like an ethics commission. Lived this thru my own state way too often with a new saga starting up right now. Oklahoma and Massachusetts are no different...

Roadgeekteen

YES newspaper texture sucks! Always feel like I have to wash my hands after touching one. I actually kinda like the smell, however.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

"Doing a crossword in an actual newspaper" definitely ranks up there in bad sensory experiences for me–your hand is moving all over the paper so you're getting newsprint ink on it and touching the displeasing texture all the time, and the paper is so cheaply made that it somehow both doesn't hold graphite well and won't release it easily when you erase.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

A few months ago, because I was featured in an interest piece.

I usually buy a print newspaper for a sports championship (even if the Sounders don't always get the front page like they deserve) or major transportation projects opening.

hbelkins

Let my daily delivery subscription to the Lexington Herald-Leader expire about eight years ago for a variety of reasons.

My office subscribes to all the weekly newspapers in our 10-county district so we can keep up with news coverage or read about local issues that may show up on our radar. That includes the two newspapers from my home county.

I only buy additional copies if for some reason one of the papers doesn't arrive in our office PO box, or if I need extra copies (such as recent obituaries for my father-in-law and my uncle).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kkt

2008, when my grandmother died, I bought a couple of copies of the paper that had her obit to send to exended family in other parts of the country.

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2023, 07:21:02 PM
"Doing a crossword in an actual newspaper" definitely ranks up there in bad sensory experiences for me–your hand is moving all over the paper so you're getting newsprint ink on it and touching the displeasing texture all the time, and the paper is so cheaply made that it somehow both doesn't hold graphite well and won't release it easily when you erase.

We get the newspaper delivered on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The Sunday crossword used to come in a "magazine" section that was printed on, well, magazine-style paper. They discontinued that last Christmas and the crossword is now in one of the regular sections. So I go online on Sunday morning and print it. I hate getting the newsprint on my hand. But I do the crossword in pen, so I have no comment on the graphite issue other than to say the pen tends to cut through the flimsier newsprint, so that's another reason I print it on regular paper.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SP Cook

Decades ago.

Once newspapers were like your slightly eccentric uncle.    He knew the details of every ball game last night in exacting detail.  He knew what there were building out on Route 37.  He knew who was the sheriff, on the school board, and who was mayor, for every place around.  He knew what time the movie you wanted to see was playing and where.  He had a lot of funny stories (the comics).  He knew what Kroger and K-Mart had on sale next week, and even could save you some money (coupons).  He knew what you wanted to know about what was going on.

Only problem was that get that from him, you had to put up with his crazed political rantings. 

He thought that THAT, and not his knowledge base, was why you liked him.  Fact was you liked him in spite of that. 

Today, all that info is available, free, on the internet, in easier forms and more detail.  All he, or that is to say, it has left is the politics.   And your uncle wonders why you never call any more.

ErmineNotyours

I used to deliver a newspaper, the Renton Chronicle, for a few years.  I hadn't noticed, but someone in gym class saw that my arms had turned purple from absorbing the ink.  Maybe I should have worn gloves.

Slightly off-topic, but here are two examples I found of water-soaked, approximately one-year-old papers still for sale in their box.  I wonder if anyone even bothered to collect the coins.

Issue date: August 25, 2019.  Taken June 13, 2020.

Issue date: September 18, 2019.  Taken June 22, 2020.

wxfree

I get four every week, the local semi-daily and the Sunday edition of the major daily in Fort Worth.  I enjoy opening it and turning the pages.  I'm surprised by how much I enjoy reading the online version.  It looks like the print edition, so it has the right feel, but the text and images are much clearer.  I no longer read the Sunday comics in the print edition I get because it looks so much better online.  I like the combination, reading the paper copies I get and then reading the major daily all the other days online.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Road Hog

The last time I buyed a newspaper was back when I speaked English.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 26, 2023, 08:11:49 AM
I've never "buyed" anything.

Quote from: Road Hog on March 29, 2023, 01:19:52 AM

I'm not really sure why someone would come into a bandit thread just to criticize banditry.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 29, 2023, 04:29:19 AM

I'm not really sure why someone would come into a bandit thread just to criticize banditry.

Because it bips. Or does it pib? I'm never really sure.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on March 29, 2023, 12:36:56 PM

Because it bips. Or does it pib? I'm never really sure.

That reminds me, I need to add a "poo stop" for Timmy, during the C-bus roadmeet in a couple of weeks.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

1995hoo

I don't really view it as being all that different from "countertrolling a troll," although to be clear I am not intending to suggest that bandit957 is a troll–he's not, he's just eccentric.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 30, 2023, 10:57:33 AM

I don't really view it as being all that different from "countertrolling a troll," although to be clear I am not intending to suggest that bandit957 is a troll–he's not, he's just eccentric.
Bandit957 is funny though he, along with NE2, are examples of older users getting cut a lot more slack than newer users.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2023, 03:06:49 PM
Bandit957 is funny though he, along with NE2, are examples of older users getting cut a lot more slack than newer users.

I don't think they're at all the same.  And, for what it's worth, |NE2| appears to have had his slack reined in at some point.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on March 30, 2023, 03:10:21 PM

I don't think they're at all the same.  And, for what it's worth, |NE2| appears to have had his slack reined in at some point.
Bandit has never done anything bannable, although I think if a new user tried using Bandit's humor they would be laughed at and mocked.

formulanone

wow, some of you really get bend out off shake with a deliferate miss steak

webny99

Quote from: formulanone on March 30, 2023, 08:03:47 PM
wow, some of you really get bend out off shake with a deliferate miss steak
Well done  :cheers:

That said, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that bandit957 actually believes that buyed is a word.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2023, 03:39:20 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 30, 2023, 03:10:21 PM

Bandit has never done anything bannable, although I think if a new user tried using Bandit's humor they would be laughed at and mocked.

Bandit has his personality that he maintains. Sometimes, newer users try toooo hard, and overshoot the mark.

Scott5114

Bandit has also been Bandit since he was on MTR.

Road Hog

Just poking fun, not intending to gore a sacred cow on this board.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 31, 2023, 01:47:10 AM
Bandit has also been Bandit since he was on MTR.

Yes he has, and I have grown to appreciate his outlook. I will admit to sparring with him frequently on MTR eons ago, but I've found that we actually agree on a surprising number of things.

OCGuy81

I bought a copy of The Wall Street Journal during a layover in Atlanta I had back in February. Before that??? (cue crickets).

My neighbor still gets a paper, but only twice a week.  The Sunday one I see on his driveway as I'm walking my dog.  Sunday papers are a shell of their former selves.  So thin compared to the beast it used to be in the 90s!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.