News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-265 Ohio River Bridge

Started by mgk920, March 06, 2012, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Unfortunately I can't remember where this policy is stated. I think I've only come across it twice in 20 years.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

amroad17

I have seen on GSV that the control cities for I-270 around Columbus have disappeared.  No more references to Cincinnati, Cleveland, Wheeling, and Dayton/Indianapolis.  The I-270 signs were changed to the current ones with no control cities around 2016, according to what I have seen on GSV.

So, I do not expect control cities placed on signs for I-265 around Louisville–although it would be somewhat helpful if traffic conditions warrant a detour.  Perhaps some auxiliary signage before the I-265 interchanges on SB I-71 (Indianapolis/Nashville), NB I-65 (Lexington/Cincinnati), and EB I-64 (Indianapolis/Cincinnati)?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: amroad17 on March 06, 2023, 12:18:38 PM
I have seen on GSV that the control cities for I-270 around Columbus have disappeared.  No more references to Cincinnati, Cleveland, Wheeling, and Dayton/Indianapolis.  The I-270 signs were changed to the current ones with no control cities around 2016, according to what I have seen on GSV.

Cincy (I-275), & Indy (I-465), don't show control cities either and they've been without before ODOT cleaned off I-270 around Columbus .
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

wriddle082

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 07, 2023, 11:26:53 AM

Cincy (I-275), & Indy (I-465), don't show control cities either and they've been without before ODOT cleaned off I-270 around Columbus .

But at the same time, the Atlanta (I-285) and Charlotte (I-485) full beltways do have control cities.  In the case of Atlanta, the control cities would be the same as the control cities for the next two interstates that you intersect.  In the case of Charlotte, the control cities are local suburbs that are actually along the beltway or close by.

sprjus4

^ And interestingly, Charlotte used to list long distance controls such as Greensboro, Spartanburg, Columbia, etc. but was replaced with local controls in recent years.

silverback1065

465 has never had control cities. the only exception is the 74 overlap and those cities are tied to 74 not 465. i expect the same thing to happen when 69 overlaps 465 in the coming years.

nwi_navigator_1181

Some portions of I-275 still have controls attached to them, at least between the I-74 western split and I-71 on the northern side. Indianapolis (via I-74), Columbus (via I-71), Dayton (via I-75), and Kentucky (at the western I-74 split) are currently assigned to I-275; some signs even mention the next interstate junction. As Silverback mentioned, controls were finally assigned to I-465 only because of the I-74 attachment on the south side of Indy, and that will likely be subject to change even further when I-69 is assigned.

With I-265 getting signed along the stretch between I-65 and I-71 on the north, I wish they would do the GDOT technique of assigning long range controls based on the next interstate junctions. Even if they don't, I hope they at least reassign the controls at the junction with I-65 on the Indiana side, as well as the Port. I'm still baffled as to why they have Jeffersonville as the IN-265 east control when downtown is along I-65, as well as Louisville by the Ohio River when, once again, I-65 is the quicker route (though to be fair, this was probably done to get Port traffic AWAY from I-65). Replace New Albany with St. Louis for I-265 west to keep it consistent.

As mentioned above, we won't know much until they do a full sign replacement along the rebuilt section of I-265 between I-71 and I-64 in Kentucky.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

hbelkins

Once upon a time, there was a small, KYTC-installed sign on northbound I-65 approaching I-265 noting that 265 should be used for Lexington and Cincinnati traffic. I think that sign is gone now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: hbelkins on March 07, 2023, 11:57:26 PM
Once upon a time, there was a small, KYTC-installed sign on northbound I-65 approaching I-265 noting that 265 should be used for Lexington and Cincinnati traffic. I think that sign is gone now.

I think I remember that. It was a smaller-than-needed sign that simply said, "LEXINGTON/CINCINNATI NEXT RIGHT."  Am I close?

hbelkins

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on March 15, 2023, 11:11:09 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 07, 2023, 11:57:26 PM

I think I remember that. It was a smaller-than-needed sign that simply said, "LEXINGTON/CINCINNATI NEXT RIGHT."  Am I close?

Indeed you are. It was a sign typical of a two-lane route, not a BGS.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mvak36

I think I found a very grainy image on Google Streetview (dated Oct 2007) of what you guys are talking about: https://goo.gl/maps/7Ecy6D232kVQVpnv8
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: mvak36 on March 16, 2023, 09:50:58 PM
I think I found a very grainy image on Google Streetview (dated Oct 2007) of what you guys are talking about: https://goo.gl/maps/7Ecy6D232kVQVpnv8

Looks like it. I don't recall the actual interstate shields being included with it, but the spot where it was located checks out.

They should definitely have a large format sign there to ward east-northeast traffic away from Downtown Louisville, stating something along the lines like this (use your imagination where the interstate shields would go):

Cincinnati VIA I-71
Lexington VIA I-64
USE I-265 EAST
Exit 125A

Straightforward, to the point.

Great Lakes Roads

Found the signage plans from INDOT... Contract number R-44100

tdindy88

Yep, and if you're looking for long distance control cities along I-265 in Indiana, you're not going to find it.  Eastbound I-265 at its interchange with I-65 will have Louisville as the control city for both I-265 and I-65 south. And coming along I-65 the control cities for I-265 are the same as they are now.

amroad17

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on March 19, 2023, 11:15:15 AM

Looks like it. I don't recall the actual interstate shields being included with it, but the spot where it was located checks out.

They should definitely have a large format sign there to ward east-northeast traffic away from Downtown Louisville, stating something along the lines like this (use your imagination where the interstate shields would go):

Cincinnati VIA I-71
Lexington VIA I-64
USE I-265 EAST
Exit 125A

^ Agreed.  As I mentioned above, maybe some auxiliary signage on I-71 SB (Indianapolis/Nashville), I-65 NB (the previously mentioned Lexington/Cincinnati), and I-64 WB (Indianapolis/Nashville) could be erected.

There also used to be a small mileage sign within the Exit 12 (KY 61) interchange on EB I-265 listing the distance to I-64 (14 miles) and I-71 (23 miles).  That too is gone now.  It was there as late as Oct 2014 but gone by Sept 2015.  It looked as if the sign was hit by a car or the mowers as the inside post was still standing as of the 2015 image.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

ilpt4u

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 19, 2023, 07:52:47 PM
Yep, and if you're looking for long distance control cities along I-265 in Indiana, you're not going to find it.  Eastbound I-265 at its interchange with I-65 will have Louisville as the control city for both I-265 and I-65 south. And coming along I-65 the control cities for I-265 are the same as they are now.
Just drove thru Louisville earlier today, and the lower deck of the 64 bridge (Sherman-Minton) aka EB/Inbound deck was closed, so most traffic was diverted to 265 EB tho one could continue to the New Albany exit on 64.

Nowhere along I-265 in Indiana did it even attempt to try to get Cincy/I-71 or Lexington/I-64 Long Distance traffic to stay on 265 across the East End Bridge. The only signage were a few very poorly signed "Alt I-64 East"  shields with no orange/Detour coloring as the ALT banner was white that directs 64 traffic onto I-65 SB into Downtown Louisville

The VMS between 64 and 65 for EB 265 was basically worthless, giving travel times and distances to the I-65 Bridge and to the "SR265"  Bridge, both 7 or 8 miles and 8 minutes, I think

Would it really be that hard to program a 2nd VMS message of "Local 64/71 Traffic use 65 SB. Thru 64/71 Traffic stay on 265 EB"  or something similar? Almost all traffic when I drove it around 2:30 pm was following the signed "ALT"  path onto I-65 SB, enough it made a long, slow line on 265

Does INDOT just not care about the traffic that is departing the state to the South and/or East?

EB 64 is supposed to reopen either tonight or in the morning as the 64 Bridge project continues

FixThe74Sign

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 22, 2023, 12:26:45 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on March 19, 2023, 07:52:47 PM
Just drove thru Louisville earlier today, and the lower deck of the 64 bridge (Sherman-Minton) aka EB/Inbound deck was closed, so most traffic was diverted to 265 EB tho one could continue to the New Albany exit on 64.

Nowhere along I-265 in Indiana did it even attempt to try to get Cincy/I-71 or Lexington/I-64 Long Distance traffic to stay on 265 across the East End Bridge. The only signage were a few very poorly signed "Alt I-64 East"  shields with no orange/Detour coloring as the ALT banner was white that directs 64 traffic onto I-65 SB into Downtown Louisville

The VMS between 64 and 65 for EB 265 was basically worthless, giving travel times and distances to the I-65 Bridge and to the "SR265"  Bridge, both 7 or 8 miles and 8 minutes, I think

Would it really be that hard to program a 2nd VMS message of "Local 64/71 Traffic use 65 SB. Thru 64/71 Traffic stay on 265 EB"  or something similar? Almost all traffic when I drove it around 2:30 pm was following the signed "ALT"  path onto I-65 SB, enough it made a long, slow line on 265

Does INDOT just not care about the traffic that is departing the state to the South and/or East?

EB 64 is supposed to reopen either tonight or in the morning as the 64 Bridge project continues

INDOT is absolutely awful when it comes to posting detour signs. A part of me thinks they have just given up caring since people use GPS and don't seem to read signs. Another part of me thinks it is incompetence or a lack of caring.

Strider

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on March 19, 2023, 11:15:15 AM

Cincinnati VIA I-71
Lexington VIA I-64
USE I-265 EAST
Exit 125A

Looks like it was taken out by a vehicle according to the Street View from 2013. I guess it has not gotten replaced.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.1031204,-85.7008879,3a,75y,94.14h,68.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siZ3EGV5BCrAKmeENAqKfFQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.