News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstate 95 signing work

Started by roadman, March 06, 2012, 07:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mass_citizen

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 17, 2013, 08:26:26 AM
Quote from: massroadpatriot on December 16, 2013, 07:50:25 PMOnce they pave 128/95 and re-paint the bridges, it'll actually become a real highway.
As opposed to a "fake" highway?   :confused:
I'm a tad confused by your comment.

I think he means it will look "like new"

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 16, 2013, 03:27:53 PM
Roadman, was the use of Series D for the MA 225 shields spec'd in the design or did the contractor take some liberties (similar to the smallish & squeezed 95 numerals on those through-I-95 shields at the US 3 North/Middlesex Turnpike interchange Exit 32A-B)?

MassHighway/MassDOT standards for state route shields have always specified Series "D" font -see

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/construction/StdDwgsSignsSupports1990.pdf  and

http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/downloads/manuals/1996Mconst.pdf
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

QuoteIs it me or do the digits for the I-90 shield appear slightly tilted/angled (especially when compared to the shield on the temporary I-90 LGS behind the gantry)?

Actually, the entire sign appears to me to have a slight upward camber.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on December 17, 2013, 11:36:51 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on December 16, 2013, 03:27:53 PM
Roadman, was the use of Series D for the MA 225 shields spec'd in the design or did the contractor take some liberties (similar to the smallish & squeezed 95 numerals on those through-I-95 shields at the US 3 North/Middlesex Turnpike interchange Exit 32A-B)?

MassHighway/MassDOT standards for state route shields have always specified Series "D" font -see

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/construction/StdDwgsSignsSupports1990.pdf  and

http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/downloads/manuals/1996Mconst.pdf
Good to know. 

However:

BGS' for MA 228, Exit 14 off MA 3 (looks fairly new & Series C to me)

http://goo.gl/maps/j974k

Recent, and somewhat oversized, free-standing reassurance MA 228 shield assembly (in Series C):

http://goo.gl/maps/EEjxh

Note: the LGS' seem to be the only ones that use Series D for MA 228; but the majority of LGS' appear to be older in that either has no shield or features the white rectangle but no thin-black border.  The only newer-type LGS that features the thin-black border MA 228 shields w/the Series D font are the ones located at the end of the MA 3 exit ramps.  However, unlike the MA 225 shields on the newer I-95 BGS', the first 2 of the 228 shields do not encroach the border.

Fortunately, the majority of 3-digit state routes in MA are 1XX so Series D applications will work without any border encroachment issues.  Similar applies if a route number is 21X or 2X1.

I guess sign fabricators need to be a bit more careful when making Series D route shields for MA routes 20A, 28A, 32A, 203, 225, 228, 240, 286 & 295 (obviously, I'm not referring to I-295 in Attleboro).

Things get even more challenging for 4-digit state routes (1XXA); most of which I've seen in either Series B or C.

Apparently, Wiki uses a similar convention with their shields: Series D for 3-digits involving a 1, Series C for all others and Series B for 4-digit routes.
List of numbered routes in Massachusetts
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hotdogPi

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 17, 2013, 02:05:21 PM

I guess sign fabricators need to be a bit more careful when making Series D route shields for MA routes 20A, 28A, 32A, 203, 225, 228, 240, 286 & 295 (obviously, I'm not referring to I-295 in Attleboro).

And 202 if they don't care about it being a US route, which often happens.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on December 17, 2013, 02:11:53 PMAnd 202 if they don't care about it being a US route, which often happens.
I saw many erroneous MA 202 shields when I was up there one mid-November weekend; all of them that I saw featured Series C digits.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

massroadpatriot

Quote from: mass_citizen on December 17, 2013, 11:36:06 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on December 17, 2013, 08:26:26 AM
Quote from: massroadpatriot on December 16, 2013, 07:50:25 PMOnce they pave 128/95 and re-paint the bridges, it'll actually become a real highway.
As opposed to a "fake" highway?   :confused:
I'm a tad confused by your comment.

I think he means it will look "like new"

Precisely

bob7374

Back to the I-95 signing project, the contractor now reports the project is 40% complete.

For those who have not seen the photos of some of the signage placed over the past few years south of the current signing project that I have posted elsewhere, they are available, along with, soon, more recent sign photos, on my new Mass. I-95 Photo Page: http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i95photos.html

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on December 18, 2013, 11:19:50 PM
Back to the I-95 signing project, the contractor now reports the project is 40% complete.

For those who have not seen the photos of some of the signage placed over the past few years south of the current signing project that I have posted elsewhere, they are available, along with, soon, more recent sign photos, on my new Mass. I-95 Photo Page: http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i95photos.html
I should say now, 42% complete. I have added photos of new I-95 signage that I had placed in my blog post to the I-95 photo page linked above, if anyone has not seen them.

roadman

Bob,

As always, excellent photos of the progress on the I-95 Wellesley to Lexington re-signing, and other current MassDOT signing work.

MassRoadFan95

Can't believe nobody's touched this page for 2 months. Anyways, there are two new sign bridges on I-95 in Newton and Weston. They look good!

bob7374

Quote from: MassRoadFan95 on March 06, 2014, 03:44:34 PM
Can't believe nobody's touched this page for 2 months. Anyways, there are two new sign bridges on I-95 in Newton and Weston. They look good!
I haven't been up that way in awhile to get any photos. Feel free to post any pics you can get from that area. There are new signs up too, I believe, in the Lexington area.

Zeffy

Quote from: MassRoadFan95 on March 15, 2014, 09:07:43 PM
Will somebody just please send a freaking picture of the new BGSs on I-95? I mean so many people care more about the current I-93 signing project than they do about this. Will somebody just send photos of the BGSs on the Route 20 interchange for me? Right now?!?!?

There's certain things you don't do on AARoads. This is one of them. Do it yourself if you want to see it badly. Not everyone will have the availability to drive somewhere where new signs are being posted.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

MassRoadFan95

Yeah I've been trying to send the picture from my iPhone but I can't copy and paste it what should I do?

Zeffy

Quote from: MassRoadFan95 on March 15, 2014, 09:12:59 PM
Yeah I've been trying to send the picture from my iPhone but I can't copy and paste it what should I do?

Connect your iPhone to a PC. Open Windows Explorer, and go to your iPhone (listed on the left where you can see your harddrive). There'll be some random directories in there, sort through them until you find your picture. Then, go to an image hosting site (you can use www.tinypic.com for fast uploads) and upload it there. It'll give you a forum link that is surrounded with [ img ] tags. Copy and paste that one onto the forum.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

shadyjay

Will somebody just please send a freaking picture of the new BGSs on I-95? I mean so many people care more about the current I-93 signing project than they do about this. Will somebody just send photos of the BGSs on the Route 20 interchange for me? Right now?!?!?

It's already been done.... shot and linked here:

agentsteel53

can you explain why you are so obsessed with a brand new guide sign?  it teaches us nothing about the past, and it's not like it won't be there tomorrow.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

massroadpatriot

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 15, 2014, 10:35:11 PM

can you explain why you are so obsessed with a brand new guide sign? 

You mean like how you guys are always obsessed with mile markers? Oh! Snap!

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bob7374

Quote from: shadyjay on March 15, 2014, 10:12:21 PM

It's already been done.... shot and linked here:

If folks can be a little patient, :D I will be traveling up to Portsmouth, NH next weekend, I hope to get some new photos to post, depending on time and weather. Meanwhile, MassDOT reports the Newton-Lexington project is now 54% complete and they now have a listing for the Peabody-Georgetown project to be complete in 2015, currently 7% complete. I took some new I-93 sign photos today and will post them on that thread later on today.

For those who want to travel along I-95 right now, I have links on my I-95 Exit List page (along with those for most other MA interstates, except I-495) to videos taken along the length of the highway last spring:
http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i95exits.html

massroadpatriot

MassRoadFan95

Oh and also there are new ground-mounts on 128 that say "To Boston Logan Airport" with an arrow on the bottom of the sign. Share photos if you can.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: massroadpatriot on March 16, 2014, 10:54:48 PM
Quote from: NE2 on March 16, 2014, 02:59:08 AM
what

huh?

It's a highway forum.

We prefer to think of it as a Goat Fanatics forum, with a few hundred thousand off-topic posts about highways.

MassRoadFan95

Yeah we should stick to the I-95 Newton to Lexington signing project other than I-93

Alps

Quote from: MassRoadFan95 on March 17, 2014, 04:27:56 PM
Yeah we should stick to the I-95 Newton to Lexington signing project other than I-93
This is an official admin warning. Stop asking for photos, or you will be banned.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.