News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/gG11QgfWR4CdJM5W9

https://goo.gl/maps/c3eNnY9sCbxTU3Nj6

This sign should be the other way around. Del. Mem. Br. Use Turnpike South.

Though one could argue that it refers to the Delaware Turnpike as if both New Jersey and Delaware Turnpikes are continuous.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Declan127

https://maps.app.goo.gl/iFYZCAG2Bun6dejC7

Same issue here, just on a newer sign. Also note the new state-name I-295 Shield on the right
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

odditude

I don't think it's an issue; if you know you're supposed to be getting on the Turnpike south until you're in DE, but you don't that "Del Mem Br" is where you should be headed, the signs add value.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadman65 on February 28, 2023, 08:15:28 AM

Though one could argue that it refers to the Delaware Turnpike as if both New Jersey and Delaware Turnpikes are continuous.
My guess would be that NJDOT is refering to the Delaware Turnpike. But is the name "Delaware Turnpike" colloquially used in the area?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 05, 2023, 08:41:42 PM

My guess would be that NJDOT is refering to the Delaware Turnpike. But is the name "Delaware Turnpike" colloquially used in the area?
Pfft.  Most people would think it just refers to the NJ Turnpike at this point.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Rothman on March 05, 2023, 11:06:34 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 05, 2023, 08:41:42 PM

Pfft.  Most people would think it just refers to the NJ Turnpike at this point.
I mean, it leads to a turnpike, whether it's NJ's or DE's isn't really important.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

7/8

Here's one on Huron Road in Kitchener, ON (street view):

The current sign is a Wa-14 "T-Intersection Sign (Uncontrolled)" rotated 90 degrees CCW. The proper sign would be a Wa-13A "Intersection Sign (Controlled)":

In reality, it's a pretty minor difference that most people wouldn't notice, but as a roadgeek, it bugs me a bit. :)

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on March 14, 2023, 02:24:09 PM
Here's one on Huron Road in Kitchener, ON (street view):

The current sign is a Wa-14 "T-Intersection Sign (Uncontrolled)" rotated 90 degrees CCW. The proper sign would be a Wa-13A "Intersection Sign (Controlled)":

In reality, it's a pretty minor difference that most people wouldn't notice, but as a roadgeek, it bugs me a bit. :)

FYI, that's a perfect candidate for this thread.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Very minor, but this is Munroe St., not Monroe St.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.815515,-70.8839321,3a,27.4y,15.36h,86.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skQxM0dcyCYSgo7sZEYiMgA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There's another street blade (on Kent St.) where they clearly changed one spelling to the other, but you can't tell which direction they changed it. GSV only shows 2012 there (and spelled correctly), so I can't link to it.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

thenetwork

On I-70 in Colorado, near the Utah border CDOT recently did a mass replacement of nearly all signs on the freeway late last summer.

By the weigh station/points of entry, they made a glaring error in BOTH directions with the same sign.  Only the eastbound GSV has the most recent sign and error.

I-70
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9s5n8wJYkaQFm9TR9

At first, I was thinking of informing them, but I want to see how long it takes them to fix them.

Not holding my breath, as there are CDOT sign errors all over Western Colorado. Just the same old status quo.

kphoger

It took me a minute to see the error, but I eventually did.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

I wonder if "commerical" is a homophone for "chimerical".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 01, 2023, 02:52:40 AM
I wonder if "commerical" is a homophone for "chimerical".

It's for fantastic creatures and cryptids that sold out.

wanderer2575

Nitpicking to the most anal degree:  Inkster Road on the Southfield/Farmington Hills border goes under I-696.

Hunty2022

Erroneous directions for US 33, from northbound US 29.

East/West should be swapped.

100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

formulanone

"Stars and Strips" sounds like a patriotic gentleman's club.

For reference...

LilianaUwU

Quote from: formulanone on April 18, 2023, 08:34:35 PM
What kind of name is Stars and Stripes Way anyways? Why not just have it be Patriots Way or any other unnecessarily American name?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

formulanone

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 18, 2023, 09:55:17 PM
What kind of name is Stars and Stripes Way anyways? Why not just have it be Patriots Way or any other unnecessarily American name?

I wouldn't be surprised if many of the typical names had already been used somewhere nearby (it's in the Dallas-Fort Worth area).

Besides, you can get a star and two stripes in the Lone Star flag, so nobody gets offended.

rlb2024

Quote from: formulanone on April 19, 2023, 05:50:52 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 18, 2023, 09:55:17 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if many of the typical names had already been used somewhere nearby (it's in the Dallas-Fort Worth area).

Besides, you can get a star and two stripes in the Lone Star flag, so nobody gets offended.
"Stars and Strips" could very easily be a gentleman's club in the DFW area . . .

roadman65

Normal for NJ, but not many other places. Plus North Avenue heads to both I-95 and the NJ Turnpike. Really the “TO” is misplaced, but delivering an erroneous message.

Then NJ 21 in front of US 22? It’s normal for NJDOT to treat all designations as simple routes thus all equal. Thus then the shields are by ascending order of numbers rather than by designation ranking per MUTCD.  They did though get I-78 placed in correct sequence.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2023, 01:07:31 PM
Then NJ 21 in front of US 22? It's normal for NJDOT to treat all designations as simple routes thus all equal. Thus then the shields are by ascending order of numbers rather than by designation ranking per MUTCD.  They did though get I-78 placed in correct sequence.

So not erroneous?
Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2023, 01:12:25 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2023, 01:07:31 PM
Then NJ 21 in front of US 22? It's normal for NJDOT to treat all designations as simple routes thus all equal. Thus then the shields are by ascending order of numbers rather than by designation ranking per MUTCD.  They did though get I-78 placed in correct sequence.

So not erroneous?

According to the MUTCD yes.

True it's better for the odd thread, but some here worship the MUTCD.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2023, 01:19:33 PM
True it's better for the odd thread, but some here worship the MUTCD.

No, it's better for the Signs With Design Errors thread.  AFAIK, nothing on that sign is inaccurate.
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

I believe people might be more apt to navigate primarily by number rather than route type.

In this Newark Airport example from 2013, the order is US 1-9, then NJ 21, and US 22.

From 2019, leaving the airport, shields in numerical order.

Side road along the airport perimeter, also in order.

So maybe the Port Authority likes it that way? Well, not always...

kphoger

I can't find it.  Would someone please link to the MUTCD guidance that says US Route shields should be to the left of State Route shields?
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.