News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 19, 2020, 03:13:31 PM
Quote from: famartin on August 19, 2020, 02:16:49 PM
If you want to see a bit of a goof, take a drive on MD 206 (Konterra Drive). They recently added reassurance signs, but the "begin" and "end" ones are all mixed up and out of place.  :-D

This may be an artifact of MD 206 being shorter than it is when it first was designated.  Unfortunately, the HLR site is out of whack and only the 2015 one is still accessible, but it does show MD 206 ending well before Gunpowder Falls Rd. 

I also drove this not long ago and noticed the way to many BEGIN-END signs, some of which I thought were backwards even under the theory that MD 206 was shorter at first...

Its *possible* but there was a properly posted "North 206" at MD 212 and a "South 206" at Gunpowder. Then the random "end" and "begin" ones in between. Its almost as if they were given a pile of signs for the "northbound" and "southbound" direction separately that were already posted on stakes, given locations to post, but weren't told specifically where to post the "begin" and "end" ones.

BrianP

If you want to see a bit of a goof, take a drive on MD 206 (Konterra Drive). They recently added reassurance signs, but the "begin" and "end" ones are all mixed up and out of place.  :-D

This may be an artifact of MD 206 being shorter than it is when it first was designated.  Unfortunately, the HLR site is out of whack and only the 2015 one is still accessible, but it does show MD 206 ending well before Gunpowder Falls Rd. 

I also drove this not long ago and noticed the way to many BEGIN-END signs, some of which I thought were backwards even under the theory that MD 206 was shorter at first...
The 2018 HLR shows 206 being all of Konterra Drive from MD 212 to Old Gunpowder Road. https://www.roads.maryland.gov/mdotsha/pages/Index.aspx?PageId=832

famartin

Quote from: BrianP on August 21, 2020, 09:53:16 AM

The 2018 HLR shows 206 being all of Konterra Drive from MD 212 to Old Gunpowder Road. https://www.roads.maryland.gov/mdotsha/pages/Index.aspx?PageId=832

Yes. Its properly posted as "North 206" at MD 212 and "South 206" at Gunpowder, but there are a few random "begin" and "end" signs between these two points that make no sense, other than the installer simply not paying attention or being utterly confused.

famartin

These signs were posted correctly on 206...

Sign on 206 sb just after Gunpowder:

Sign on 206 sb just after Muirkirk:

Sign on 206 nb just after 212:

Sign on 206 nb just after Fashion Place:

epzik8

Here is a before and after of the sign change for exit 85 from I-95 northbound in Harford County:

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Tonytone

Quote from: famartin on August 12, 2020, 12:25:12 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 11, 2020, 05:36:50 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 11, 2020, 09:37:38 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on August 10, 2020, 02:56:53 PM
Turns out roadgeeks aren't the only ones wondering why MD hasn't signed Philly on I-95

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelphia/philadelphia-highway-signs-new-york-20200810.html

I am a Maryland resident, but agree with this 100%.  I think it is unfortunate that MDTA does not sign Philadelphia and Wilmington.  And I disagree with the idea that only two lines can be used on those signs (Caltrans frequently uses three lines, which seems to be reasonable).
I've seen plenty of ramp and pull-through signs that feature two destination listings for the same direction on a given route.

I actually chimed in on the Comments section and suggested using either Wilmington or old-school state names but using the 2-letter designations for sign size/space reasons.  Example: DE-PA-NJ-NY  Obviously, such wouldn't pass the current MUTCD muster.

I've lately stayed out of the control city debates, but I think things would be cleared up if the "official" cities were revised to only certain large cities along I-95 - after all, I-95 is pretty dang full of them, especially between VA and CT.

Not that it isn't obvious, but the control cities for I-95, IMHO, should be limited to these major cities: Richmond, Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, Bridgeport, Providence, Boston.  I could accept inclusion of Newark (NJ, not DE) and Wilmington. But really, Trenton, Chester and Newark DE need to be axed.
The 3 minor places you mentioned "Trenton, Newark, De & Chester are kind of important. Well Chester is not really until the city changes, however Newark, De is important for UD thats not a regular school thats a well known university with credentials. So it's important to have Newark on signage for people traveling to UD.

Also Trenton has important places in it as well right? Im not familiar with Trenton.

I do agree certain names shouldn't be on the BGS.

Also that was a sad excuse for MD if you're going NB you know that you are in the direction of hitting up NYC & beyond especially with GPS.

But like I said above I figured the reason was for people traveling since our area MD-DE-NJ-PA-NY Is probably the biggest area in the US with people who work in one state & will travel for work in another state. For example MD-DE DE-NJ/NY MD/NY PA/NY/MD.

So the BGS in this area arent really for the local but the non local.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

sprjus4

Quote from: Tonytone on August 21, 2020, 11:02:34 PM
The 3 minor places you mentioned "Trenton, Newark, De & Chester are kind of important. Well Chester is not really until the city changes, however Newark, De is important for UD thats not a regular school thats a well known university with credentials. So it's important to have Newark on signage for people traveling to UD.

Also Trenton has important places in it as well right? Im not familiar with Trenton.
Might be big cities, but aren't nearly as major as Philadelphia and New York City, which should be the primary control cities.

Tonytone

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 22, 2020, 12:11:56 AM

Might be big cities, but aren't nearly as major as Philadelphia and New York City, which should be the primary control cities.
Correct the control cities should be major cities with atleast a population of 1 million.

However some cases can allow minor cities to be on the BGS.

iPhone

sprjus4

Quote from: Tonytone on August 22, 2020, 12:39:19 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on August 22, 2020, 12:11:56 AM

Correct the control cities should be major cities with atleast a population of 1 million.

However some cases can allow minor cities to be on the BGS.

iPhone
Or in North Carolina's case, a town of 2,000 as a control cities for not one, but two interstate highways, both that have much larger cities beyond that town.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Tonytone on August 21, 2020, 11:02:34 PMAlso Trenton has important places in it as well right? I'm not familiar with Trenton.
Trenton is NJ's capital.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Tonytone

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 23, 2020, 10:46:36 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on August 21, 2020, 11:02:34 PMAlso Trenton has important places in it as well right? I'm not familiar with Trenton.
Trenton is NJ's capital.
There we go. That's important for NJ & the area alot of business go on there.

I believe the slogan is "Trenton makes the world takes"

iPhone

famartin

Quote from: Tonytone on August 23, 2020, 10:52:49 PM
Trenton is NJ's capital.

iPhone
We're OT, but Trenton doesn't hold a candle to NYC or Philly in importance. They should take priority.

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on August 24, 2020, 09:27:05 AM
Trenton is NJ's capital.
We're OT, but Trenton doesn't hold a candle to NYC or Philly in importance. They should take priority.
In general, the listing of state capitals as control cities on highways signs is allowed; regardless of size & population.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 24, 2020, 11:50:55 AM
Quote from: famartin on August 24, 2020, 09:27:05 AM
Trenton is NJ's capital.
In general, the listing of state capitals as control cities on highways signs is allowed; regardless of size & population.
I made no mention of whether it was allowed. Lots of things are allowed but not especially useful. Trenton as a control city for I-95, for example: Allowed, but not particularly useful. PA has abandoned its use, it's time NJ did likewise. I mean, it's not like NJ EVER used it for the NB Turnpike. And mind you, I was born and raised in Trenton/Ewing.

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on August 24, 2020, 04:09:32 PMI made no mention of whether it was allowed. Lots of things are allowed but not especially useful. Trenton as a control city for I-95, for example: Allowed, but not particularly useful. PA has abandoned its use, it's time NJ did likewise.
As stated upthread and on the actual topic threads; while the I-95 reroute onto the PA Turnpike diverted the I-95 corridor from the Trenton area; the Delaware Expressway (now I-295 north of the Turnpike crossing) still provides freeway (though not direct) access to Trenton... which is closer to Philly than NYC.

Quote from: famartin on August 24, 2020, 04:09:32 PMI mean, it's not like NJ EVER used it for the NB Turnpike. And mind you, I was born and raised in Trenton/Ewing.
Given that information; you should then know that access to Trenton & the surrounding area from the Delaware Memorial Bridge & South Jersey is done via I-295.  Which explains why there are no northbound NJTP signs that list Trenton; However, Newark used to be listed (along with NYC) on older ramp signage.

Back to the topic-focus on hand: Northbound I-95 signage in Maryland IMHO should simply list Wilmington (DE) mainly since such is the next city in an adjacent state the Interstate goes through.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 25, 2020, 06:44:45 PM
Quote from: famartin on August 24, 2020, 04:09:32 PMI made no mention of whether it was allowed. Lots of things are allowed but not especially useful. Trenton as a control city for I-95, for example: Allowed, but not particularly useful. PA has abandoned its use, it's time NJ did likewise.
As stated upthread and on the actual topic threads; while the I-95 reroute onto the PA Turnpike diverted the I-95 corridor from the Trenton area; the Delaware Expressway (now I-295 north of the Turnpike crossing) still provides freeway (though not direct) access to Trenton... which is closer to Philly than NYC.

Quote from: famartin on August 24, 2020, 04:09:32 PMI mean, it's not like NJ EVER used it for the NB Turnpike. And mind you, I was born and raised in Trenton/Ewing.
Given that information; you should then know that access to Trenton & the surrounding area from the Delaware Memorial Bridge & South Jersey is done via I-295.  Which explains why there are no northbound NJTP signs that list Trenton; However, Newark used to be listed (along with NYC) on older ramp signage.

Back to the topic-focus on hand: Northbound I-95 signage in Maryland IMHO should simply list Wilmington (DE) mainly since such is the next city in an adjacent state the Interstate goes through.

Yes, I-295 still goes there, but I-95 NB is now signed exclusively as for NYC, not Trenton, in PA. All signage for Trenton on I-95 NB has been replaced with NYC, even though it might well have been somewhat appropriate to keep it. So, why is I-95 SB still signed for Trenton, when a virtually identical situation exists (except SB, its I-195 providing the access)? The answer is simply inertia... i.e. its how its always been. But if PA managed to change inertia, time for NJ to do likewise.

As far as the NB NJTP never signing Trenton, yes, NOW it doesn't make sense, but it did once, back before I-295 was substantially complete.  In fact, it was probably faster to take the NJTP to Trenton as recently as the early 90s, since I-295 wasn't completed in the Trenton area until 1994 or so. Before then it ended at US 130 in Bordentown.

And yes, finally back to being on-topic:  Wilmington would be adequate, and it would offer continuity with what Delaware signs. Not that MDOT SHA or MdTA will ever change the signs. In fact, they just added new signs listing I-95 NB for New York at the MD 24 interchange.

Tonytone

Quote from: famartin on August 26, 2020, 12:19:11 AM

Yes, I-295 still goes there, but I-95 NB is now signed exclusively as for NYC, not Trenton, in PA. All signage for Trenton on I-95 NB has been replaced with NYC, even though it might well have been somewhat appropriate to keep it. So, why is I-95 SB still signed for Trenton, when a virtually identical situation exists (except SB, its I-195 providing the access)? The answer is simply inertia... i.e. its how its always been. But if PA managed to change inertia, time for NJ to do likewise.

As far as the NB NJTP never signing Trenton, yes, NOW it doesn't make sense, but it did once, back before I-295 was substantially complete.  In fact, it was probably faster to take the NJTP to Trenton as recently as the early 90s, since I-295 wasn't completed in the Trenton area until 1994 or so. Before then it ended at US 130 in Bordentown.

And yes, finally back to being on-topic:  Wilmington would be adequate, and it would offer continuity with what Delaware signs. Not that MDOT SHA or MdTA will ever change the signs. In fact, they just added new signs listing I-95 NB for New York at the MD 24 interchange.
Maybe MD doesnt sign DE because we stiffed them on at toll plaza. If the toll plaza was on there end they would have probably signed Delaware.

iPhone

PHLBOS

Yes, I-295 still goes there, but I-95 NB is now signed exclusively as for NYC, not Trenton, in PA. All signage for Trenton on I-95 NB has been replaced with NYC, even though it might well have been somewhat appropriate to keep it.
Not quite.  The signage from I-76 westbound/Walt Whitman Bridge haven't been (yet) changed.  IMHO, the ramp signs to I-95 northbound from these bridges from Philly northward shouldn't have been changed at all; especially since some of the traffic is coming from the NYC area.

Quote from: famartin on August 26, 2020, 12:19:11 AMSo, why is I-95 SB still signed for Trenton, when a virtually identical situation exists (except SB, its I-195 providing the access)? The answer is simply inertia... i.e. its how its always been. But if PA managed to change inertia, time for NJ to do likewise.

I can't speak nor confirm regarding how such was signed during the 50s through the 70s; but the northbound NJTP signage from the 80s and 90s never listed Trenton on them.

As far as the southbound I-95/NJTP signage is concerned; Trenton is displayed/remains because:
1.  Such is in NJ and Trenton is the state's capital city.
2.  Trenton is closer in proximity than Philly.

Yes, the southbound GSP Exit 129 signage was recently modified to list Philadelphia instead of Camden* but the northbound Exit 129 signage and the southbound I-95/NJTP ramp signage still list Trenton.

*Camden was chosen over Trenton in the southbound direction because such was already displayed at the US 1/Exit 130 interchange.  IMHO, the southbound US 1 exit sign should've listed New Brunswick which would've allowed the southbound Exit 129 signage to list Trenton.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bluecountry

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 26, 2020, 01:52:03 PM
Yes, I-295 still goes there, but I-95 NB is now signed exclusively as for NYC, not Trenton, in PA. All signage for Trenton on I-95 NB has been replaced with NYC, even though it might well have been somewhat appropriate to keep it.
Not quite.  The signage from I-76 westbound/Walt Whitman Bridge haven't been (yet) changed.  IMHO, the ramp signs to I-95 northbound from these bridges from Philly northward shouldn't have been changed at all; especially since some of the traffic is coming from the NYC area.

Quote from: famartin on August 26, 2020, 12:19:11 AMSo, why is I-95 SB still signed for Trenton, when a virtually identical situation exists (except SB, its I-195 providing the access)? The answer is simply inertia... i.e. its how its always been. But if PA managed to change inertia, time for NJ to do likewise.

I can't speak nor confirm regarding how such was signed during the 50s through the 70s; but the northbound NJTP signage from the 80s and 90s never listed Trenton on them.

As far as the southbound I-95/NJTP signage is concerned; Trenton is displayed/remains because:
1.  Such is in NJ and Trenton is the state's capital city.
2.  Trenton is closer in proximity than Philly.

Yes, the southbound GSP Exit 129 signage was recently modified to list Philadelphia instead of Camden* but the northbound Exit 129 signage and the southbound I-95/NJTP ramp signage still list Trenton.

*Camden was chosen over Trenton in the southbound direction because such was already displayed at the US 1/Exit 130 interchange.  IMHO, the southbound US 1 exit sign should've listed New Brunswick which would've allowed the southbound Exit 129 signage to list Trenton.
It's stupid for all the reasons stated.
Philly is a top 10 city and should be signed starting at the GWB.

Moreover, the fact that Trenton is signed by Newark isn't makes even less sense.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bluecountry on August 28, 2020, 03:24:15 PMPhilly is a top 10 city and should be signed starting at the GWB.
No offense but it's not like I-95 & the NJ Turnpike in North Jersey is rural.  Newark is listed as a southbound I-95/NJTP control city from the bridge to the Newark area because:
1.  It is a sizable city that the highway corridor goes through.
2.  A major airport (EWR) in said-city is also adjacent to the highway.

Quote from: bluecountry on August 28, 2020, 03:24:15 PMMoreover, the fact that Trenton is signed by Newark isn't makes even less sense.
How so?  Trenton is the next sizable NJ city, let alone the state's capital, that the Turnpike (I-95) approaches but bypasses.

Further south, there is now a mileage sign south of Exit 9 (US 1/NJ 18) that lists Trenton, Philadelphia & Camden.  Such replaced the smaller button-copy TRENTON 30 MILES sign that was there for decades.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

mrsman

SB on I-95 there are some signs indicating Trenton as the control city even up in Bronx, NY.  IMO, that's too far for that control, Newark would be better. [Especially as there is no further guidance to Trenton signed practically until you are south of Newark.]

Then, the next stretch southbound has very few controls at all, which is unfortunate as it is a confusing area with lots of off-ramps to well-traveled local highways.  The few controls that you do see are controls for 80 (Hackensack local and Paterson express) without at all referencing any of 95's controls.  (IMO, this should be Paterson Newark, at least for the express lanes).  At the 95/80 split, we finally see a Newark control (but still don't see Trenton).  In my view Newark is proper here.

Once south of Newark, Trenton is the proper control.  If there is room on the sign for a second control, then signing both for Trenton and Philadelphia would be appropriate until I-195.

It would be interesting to see how this is done once all of the NJTP signs are done.

famartin

Quote from: mrsman on August 30, 2020, 04:04:57 PM
SB on I-95 there are some signs indicating Trenton as the control city even up in Bronx, NY.  IMO, that's too far for that control, Newark would be better. [Especially as there is no further guidance to Trenton signed practically until you are south of Newark.]

Then, the next stretch southbound has very few controls at all, which is unfortunate as it is a confusing area with lots of off-ramps to well-traveled local highways.  The few controls that you do see are controls for 80 (Hackensack local and Paterson express) without at all referencing any of 95's controls.  (IMO, this should be Paterson Newark, at least for the express lanes).  At the 95/80 split, we finally see a Newark control (but still don't see Trenton).  In my view Newark is proper here.

Once south of Newark, Trenton is the proper control.  If there is room on the sign for a second control, then signing both for Trenton and Philadelphia would be appropriate until I-195.

It would be interesting to see how this is done once all of the NJTP signs are done.

This is why it makes no sense to me. Few people seriously believe that northbound will ever say anything but NYC.  So, why is having southbound say "Philadelphia" so much of a stretch? Its logical and reciprocal. If the only northbound control city from Philly to NYC is NYC, then the only southbound control city from NYC to Philly should be Philly.

To bring this back to MD... the only two control cities between Baltimore and Washington are Baltimore and Washington. No one would ever think to put Columbia on the list, even though its actually more prominent than Trenton is population-wise (in some regards, anyway).  Now that I-95 is complete, the stretch between Philly and NYC should be similar from a signage standpoint: Philly and NYC. That's it.

Now, we know this isn't going to happen. But I can fantasize.

mrsman

Quote from: famartin on August 30, 2020, 08:21:43 PM

This is why it makes no sense to me. Few people seriously believe that northbound will ever say anything but NYC.  So, why is having southbound say "Philadelphia" so much of a stretch? Its logical and reciprocal. If the only northbound control city from Philly to NYC is NYC, then the only southbound control city from NYC to Philly should be Philly.

To bring this back to MD... the only two control cities between Baltimore and Washington are Baltimore and Washington. No one would ever think to put Columbia on the list, even though its actually more prominent than Trenton is population-wise (in some regards, anyway).  Now that I-95 is complete, the stretch between Philly and NYC should be similar from a signage standpoint: Philly and NYC. That's it.

You make very good points.  I would still say that Philadelphia should not be the control at all until the start of the NJTP (i.e. south of the 80/95 split).  Since the trajectory of 95 between the Bronx and the 80/95 split is largely E/W, it makes sense for the control to not be too far south as a lot of people traveling on 95 SB are also ultimately headed west.  It would be somewhat confusing to see Philadelphia in the Bronx or coming off the GWB in that case.

Once you reach the 95/80 split, the control should be Newark (for continuity purposes until you hit Newark).  South of Newark, there is an argument for signing Philadelphia instead of Trenton. 

Of course, if two controls are permitted you can resolve all of this.  Newark/Philadelphia leads to Trenton/Philadelphia leads to Philadelphia/Wilmington.

bluecountry

Agreed!
Reciprocal.
Now why won't this happen?  I mean they already have started to install more signs.

Quote from: mrsman on September 01, 2020, 04:33:39 PM

You make very good points.  I would still say that Philadelphia should not be the control at all until the start of the NJTP (i.e. south of the 80/95 split).  Since the trajectory of 95 between the Bronx and the 80/95 split is largely E/W, it makes sense for the control to not be too far south as a lot of people traveling on 95 SB are also ultimately headed west.  It would be somewhat confusing to see Philadelphia in the Bronx or coming off the GWB in that case.

Once you reach the 95/80 split, the control should be Newark (for continuity purposes until you hit Newark).  South of Newark, there is an argument for signing Philadelphia instead of Trenton. 

Of course, if two controls are permitted you can resolve all of this.  Newark/Philadelphia leads to Trenton/Philadelphia leads to Philadelphia/Wilmington.

But then if having Philly in the Bronx is too soon, why is Trenton not?

mrsman

I don't like using Trenton either.  My earlier comment recommends signing Newark as the SB control within the Bronx.  From the Bronx, Newark should be the prime control and Paterson as the second control.  This should be the case until 80/95 split.  At that point, Newark/Philadelphia would be Ok.

Nexus 5X

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.