News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How much traffic per minute does US 68 in northern Ohio have?

Started by Thomas77, April 13, 2021, 02:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas77

A road guy.

formulanone

5279 milliTrafficants per doze, assuming standard route alignment

JREwing78

Ohio doesn't seem to have a centralized placed to look up that information, unlike other states such as Michigan or Wisconsin. It appears to be information a regional planning department may have - I see references for the Columbus and Cincinnati metro areas posting that info.

The term you're looking for is Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT). Typically a 2-lane highway like US-68 should have no more than 8,000 to 10,000 vehicles per day traveling on it for acceptable "Level of Service" - no significant congestion or an abnormal number of accidents.

SkyPesos

North of US 33, US 68's AADT hover at around the 5k mark, so that's around 3.5 vehicles per minute.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: JREwing78 on April 13, 2021, 12:36:58 PM
Ohio doesn't seem to have a centralized placed to look up that information, unlike other states such as Michigan or Wisconsin. It appears to be information a regional planning department may have - I see references for the Columbus and Cincinnati metro areas posting that info.

The term you're looking for is Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT). Typically a 2-lane highway like US-68 should have no more than 8,000 to 10,000 vehicles per day traveling on it for acceptable "Level of Service" - no significant congestion or an abnormal number of accidents.

Sure they do.  https://odot.public.ms2soft.com/tcds/tsearch.asp?loc=Odot&mod=  .  Depending on where you're saying in northern Ohio, it has an AADT of 7382 in between Findlay and Arlington, making it 7382/(24*60) = 5.12639 cars per minute or one car every 11.7 seconds.

Chris

JREwing78

JREwing78

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 13, 2021, 12:50:29 PM
Depending on where you're saying in northern Ohio, it has an AADT of 7382 in between Findlay and Arlington, making it 7382/(24*60) = 5.12639 cars per minute or one car every 11.7 seconds.

Keep in mind that's an average for the entire day - one can safely assume about 70-80% of that traffic is happening during daytime hours. So figure it's closer to one vehicle every 4-5 seconds during the day, with very light traffic (say, one every 30 seconds) between 11pm and 5am.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: JREwing78 on April 13, 2021, 12:54:07 PM
Sure they do.  https://odot.public.ms2soft.com/tcds/tsearch.asp?loc=Odot&mod=

Clearly my Google-fu was failing me. Thank you.

Absolutely.  It's tough to find them for some states.  My AADT thread was a bear for some of them for sure (looking at you, New Mexico).

Chris

JayhawkCO

Quote from: JREwing78 on April 13, 2021, 12:58:02 PM
Depending on where you're saying in northern Ohio, it has an AADT of 7382 in between Findlay and Arlington, making it 7382/(24*60) = 5.12639 cars per minute or one car every 11.7 seconds.

Keep in mind that's an average for the entire day - one can safely assume about 70-80% of that traffic is happening during daytime hours. So figure it's closer to one vehicle every 4-5 seconds during the day, with very light traffic (say, one every 30 seconds) between 11pm and 5am.

Sure.  I just tried to exclude as many variables as possible to come up with the simple answer.  I'm sure it's a nice Bayesian distribution.

Chris

cbeach40

General guidelines are that the peak hours are about 10% off AADT in the peak hours and 20% in the urban areas. Of course, every road has its on characteristics and variations, but for very rough estimates that's a good start.
and waterrrrrrr!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: JREwing78 on April 13, 2021, 12:54:07 PM
Sure they do.  https://odot.public.ms2soft.com/tcds/tsearch.asp?loc=Odot&mod=

Clearly my Google-fu was failing me. Thank you.

Didn't help that ODOT changed their website design, several years back, from being a data center, to now just press releases and traffic flow maps.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.