News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

It's 2019 and I still can't believe that...

Started by Roadgeekteen, January 01, 2019, 12:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus73

Quote from: NE2 on January 01, 2019, 09:53:32 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on January 01, 2019, 09:49:30 AM
Quote from: NE2 on January 01, 2019, 08:36:02 AM
Trump is still living in the White House.

He'll be there at the start of 2021 as well.  Hope that makes your day :-)

Rick
There's a better chance of him being dead.

Odds are he is alive.  The last POTUS to die in office was JFK.  Since then we have seen Ford and Reagan survive assassination attempts while Bush II managed to deal with his choking incident and an Iraqi throwing a shoe at him.  Politics aside, if you are betting on dead President occurrences, don't bet a wad of dead presidents on it happening.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

hotdogPi

Trump will be a 1-term president. (If Clinton won, she would also have been a 1-term president.) However, this is because he will lose re-election (or possibly replaced by Pence early in one of several ways), not because of death.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 07:17:02 AM
Quote from: US 89 on January 01, 2019, 12:30:37 AM
That this thread hasn't been locked already.
Only because someone hasn't said something controversial yet.

And right on cue, came NE2
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

I can't believe I haven't been constantly reminded about our current president seeking a second term and hearing about potential candidates yet...oh wait, that's happening over the next 22 months.

Gotta save those airline sickness bags.

cjk374

Quote from: formulanone on January 01, 2019, 10:15:21 AM
I can't believe I haven't been constantly reminded about our current president seeking a second term and hearing about potential candidates yet...oh wait, that's happening over the next 22 months.

This is why I hate anything related to politics.  X-(  :banghead:  :ded:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

webny99

I don't think it is guaranteed that Trump will be a one-term president.

Certainly, it is likely; presidents with Trump's approval ratings ought to have a tough time getting reelected. Further, an incumbents' margin almost always diminishes from his/her original election. In Trump's case, any diminishment of margin would almost certainly cost him reelection.

Say there's a 30% chance he will be assassinated or removed from office or a challenger will win the primary.
That leaves a 70% chance he will be on the ballot in November 2020. If he's on the ballot, maybe he has a 10% chance of winning. That means his total chance of winning a second term is 0.7 × 0.1, or 7%.
A slim chance, but an existent chance nonetheless.

Quote from: US71 on January 01, 2019, 10:07:58 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 07:17:02 AM
Quote from: US 89 on January 01, 2019, 12:30:37 AM
That this thread hasn't been locked already.
Only because someone hasn't said something controversial yet.
And right on cue, came NE2

His first statement actually wasn't controversial. Trump is in office; that's a fact. Now, though... yep, we're pretty much in controversial territory!  :-D

abefroman329

Quote from: nexus73 on January 01, 2019, 10:00:04 AM
Quote from: NE2 on January 01, 2019, 09:53:32 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on January 01, 2019, 09:49:30 AM
Quote from: NE2 on January 01, 2019, 08:36:02 AM
Trump is still living in the White House.

He'll be there at the start of 2021 as well.  Hope that makes your day :-)

Rick
There's a better chance of him being dead.

Odds are he is alive.  The last POTUS to die in office was JFK.  Since then we have seen Ford and Reagan survive assassination attempts while Bush II managed to deal with his choking incident and an Iraqi throwing a shoe at him.  Politics aside, if you are betting on dead President occurrences, don't bet a wad of dead presidents on it happening.

Rick
Early 70s + poor diet + sedentary lifestyle is a bad combination for anyone, even someone with round-the-clock monitoring. Though I guess it's possible he eats well and exercises, but hides it from his base because he thinks it'll make him less popular.

1995hoo

Glad everyone is weighing in with their two pence on politics and that I had the chance to make a dumb pun about it before the thread gets locked.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 01, 2019, 10:47:28 AM
Glad everyone is weighing in with their two pence on politics and that I had the chance to make a dumb pun about it before the thread gets locked.
Glad I got to tell you how clever your pun is before the thread got locked.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 01, 2019, 10:47:28 AM
The no politics rule will inevitably Trump this thread.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

abefroman329

Quote from: 1 on January 01, 2019, 10:02:50 AM
Trump will be a 1-term president. (If Clinton won, she would also have been a 1-term president.) However, this is because he will lose re-election (or possibly replaced by Pence early in one of several ways), not because of death.
He's not doing much to get re-elected currently (he mainly panders to his ever-dwindling base, even after getting his ass handed to him in the midterms), but stranger things have happened. His election, for example.

And this idle chatter about milquetoast "unity"  primary challengers in 2020 is just that, and seems to ignore the fact that his approval rating among Republicans has hovered around 90% since his inauguration.

webny99

^ Well, if you won the presidency by accident, you wouldn't be worrying too much about your reelection strategy either, would you?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 10:53:52 AM
He's not doing much to get re-elected currently (he mainly panders to his ever-dwindling base, even after getting his ass handed to him in the midterms), but stranger things have happened. His election, for example.

And this idle chatter about milquetoast "unity"  primary challengers in 2020 is just that, and seems to ignore the fact that his approval rating among Republicans has hovered around 90% since his inauguration.
His election would not of happened if not for a loophole in the constitution. An accident, maybe.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Big John

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 01, 2019, 09:25:39 AM
Quote from: 1 on January 01, 2019, 12:06:11 AM
It's not butter.

People are still making this thread every year.

Kids. Missing the good ole days.

Where's the beef? Anyone found it yet?

prego. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kZejc2-h_s

abefroman329

Quote from: Big John on January 01, 2019, 12:09:06 PM
It's not butter.

That's spectacular, I've never seen that before.

US71

Quote from: Big John on January 01, 2019, 12:09:06 PM
It's not butter.

And she lost her Wendy's job over this.

jp the roadgeek

Face it.  The Democrat Party isn't what it used to be.  It has gone so far left that it is losing its base.  It used to be the party of the working man and middle class; it has now become the party of the out of touch social elite who would sit in their ivory towers and throw crumbs down to the minions. It has embraced the concept of government control of your life from cradle to grave.  And President Trump won because of the Electoral College, which is necessary, otherwise the deep blue states of New York and California; or more specifically, NYC, LA, and the Bay Area, would control the entire country.  And why are people trying to impeach him?  Just because they don't agree with him politically?  Enjoy the ride till 1/20/25.   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

US71

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 01, 2019, 02:03:49 PM

Face it.  The Democrat Party isn't what it used to be.  It has gone so far left that it is losing its base.  It used to be the party of the working man and middle class; it has now become the party of the out of touch social elite who would sit in their ivory towers and throw crumbs down to the minions. It has embraced the concept of government control of your life from cradle to grave.  And President Trump won because of the Electoral College, which is necessary, otherwise the deep blue states of New York and California; or more specifically, NYC, LA, and the Bay Area, would control the entire country.  And why are people trying to impeach him?  Just because they don't agree with him politically?  Enjoy the ride till 1/20/25.   

Neither is the Republican Party, and hasn't been since Ike.

abefroman329

Quote from: US71 on January 01, 2019, 02:05:36 PM

Hell, since Reagan.  Or W.

abefroman329

The Democrats weren't supposed to retake the House until 2022 at the earliest, and that was assuming generally favorable census results.  They managed to do it four years earlier thanks to Trump's massive unpopularity and the fact that he's taken the party so far to the right.  Including huge wins in what you people charmingly refer to as Real America.  Doesn't sound like a party on the decline to me.

Hurricane Rex

Can we keep politics out of this? Also I don't understand the point of this thread.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

abefroman329

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 01, 2019, 02:18:15 PMAlso I don't understand the point of this thread.
Probably supposed to be fill-in-the-blank.  "It's 2019 and I still can't believe that...I don't own a flying car."  Or "people still have landlines."  Or "people still drink root beer."

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 02:08:29 PM
Quote from: US71 on January 01, 2019, 02:05:36 PM

Hell, since Reagan.  Or W.

Like that booming economy after Ronnie robbed Social Security to pay for tax breaks for the wealthy?

hotdogPi

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 02:21:26 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 01, 2019, 02:18:15 PMAlso I don't understand the point of this thread.
Probably supposed to be fill-in-the-blank.  "It's 2019 and I still can't believe that...I don't own a flying car."  Or "people still have landlines."  Or "people still drink root beer."

It started in 2014: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13587
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.