News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Map organization

Started by Scott5114, September 15, 2009, 02:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

How do you organize your map collection?

I have a big Rubbermaid clear plastic box that all of mine go in. But it's rather unwieldy and hard to find things in so I was wondering if anyone else out there can point me to a better solution.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

froggie

I have more maps than I have storage space for.

Most of them...the state official maps (which by far is the majority of my collection) are organized by state and then organized into a few "shoe cubicle" things I picked up.

Alex

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 15, 2009, 02:04:47 AM
How do you organize your map collection?

I have a big Rubbermaid clear plastic box that all of mine go in. But it's rather unwieldy and hard to find things in so I was wondering if anyone else out there can point me to a better solution.

I lost most of my map collection a couple of years ago, so I had to start all over again and was using plastic storage bins for a couple of years. Unfortunately the bins were not designed for maps, so ones of abnormal height were bent when I closed the lids. So last year I purchased new shallow rectangular bins and now have my maps stacked in there with them lying face up.

I generally have them separated by region. My southeastern map collection is my largest (it did not get lost with the original collection), so it gets its own bin. I have Midwest and Western maps in another bin, and Northeastern and current maps in a third bin.

Additionally I have a large number of road atlases, and they have a shelve dedicated to them, but are not in chronological order these days.

Anyone who is interested in regional and U.S. maps, I have a number of those I am willing to give away. They are stored in my Midwest/West bin.

mightyace

My collection of maps is mostly in and some on top of a collection of Banker's boxes and the contents are not organized in any way.

My Atlases are stored in a bookcase when not in use. (like AARoads not in chronological order)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

My maps have finally graduated from drawer to bookshelf.  I have four neat piles (Foreign, US General-F, US G-N, US O-W) of the most current state/province/country maps I have.  Then I have two piles of older maps organized the same way.  Maps for trade/taking are in a large paper bag and awaiting homes at upcoming meets.

Michael

My maps are stored on the servers of Google, Bing, Wikipedia, and TerraServer.  :sombrero:

BigMattFromTexas

I have a big black container with dividers that are alphabetically divided, then i also have a list of all my maps so if any go missing i'll know which one it is.

Scott5114

Quote from: BigMatt on September 16, 2009, 10:09:12 PM
I have a big black container with dividers that are alphabetically divided, then i also have a list of all my maps so if any go missing i'll know which one it is.

Sounds feasible! Can you get a photo of it?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

BigMattFromTexas

^that sounds doable!
BigMatt

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.