News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Brick State Highway Segments

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 01, 2019, 12:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on February 08, 2019, 10:29:38 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 08, 2019, 09:59:57 PM
The odd thing about Orlando is that there are various county islands which essentially means pedestrian features are city and miss.  Much of FL 15 on Conway and Hoffner exists in unincorporated Orange County hence why it is so substandard.  Oddly Orlando has annexed much of the land south of FL 528 almost to Fells Cove and the CR 15 portion on Narcoossee Road is pretty high quality by comparison.

I see. Seattle has this issue, where they've annexed county properties over the decades, but King County never built sidewalks. Now the city has to go back and add them, which it's doing...slowly.

Quote from: NE2 on February 08, 2019, 10:09:57 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 08, 2019, 09:26:41 PM
Hoffner Avenue is odd given how narrow it is with no pedestrian features.
For a few months it's been four lanes with sidewalks: http://www.cflroads.com/project/239266-3/SR_15_Hoffner_Avenue_from_North_of_Lee_Vista_Boulevard_to_West_of_SR_436_Semoran_Boulevard http://www.cflroads.com/project/239266-4/SR_15_Hoffner_Avenue_from_West_of_SR_436_Semoran_Boulevard_to_Conway_Road

I had ignored that part of Max's comment because I thought he might be mistaken (street view clearly shows plenty of sidewalks), but I didn't realize it had just been upgraded. I see now on historic imagery that it once looked quite a bit more like one of those roads you saw Crockett and Tubbs flying down in the 80s!

I left the Orlando area in January of 2016, suffice to say I would have found the Hoffner upgrades incredibly useful.  Too bad, had there been more time on my recent trip I would taken a drive on FL 15 for old times sake and seen the changes.  Personally I always thought that a maintenance swap with Lee Vista Road would have been more viable, the upgrades on Hoffner genuinely surprised me. 

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 08, 2019, 10:35:44 PM
I left the Orlando area in January of 2016, suffice to say I would have found the Hoffner upgrades incredibly useful.  Too bad, had there been more time on my recent trip I would taken a drive on FL 15 for old times sake and seen the changes.  Personally I always thought that a maintenance swap with Lee Vista Road would have been more viable, the upgrades on Hoffner genuinely surprised me.

Which parts of Lee Vista? Seems that Hoffner was the crappy road in comparison, with Lee Vista being 4/5 lanes w/ sidewalks for its entire length.

I guess I should ask, what do you mean by "maintenance swap"?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on February 08, 2019, 10:38:39 PM

Which parts of Lee Vista? Seems that Hoffner was the crappy road in comparison, with Lee Vista being 4/5 lanes w/ sidewalks for its entire length.

Between FDOT and Orange County.  I was referring to Lee Vista east of Conway to Narcoossee Road specifically.  Only a small portion between Conway and Semoran was substandard when I lived in Orlando which was far better than Hoffner. 

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 08, 2019, 10:41:17 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 08, 2019, 10:38:39 PM

Between FDOT and Orange County.  I was referring to Lee Vista east of Conway to Narcoossee Road specifically.  Only a small portion between Conway and Semoran was substandard when I lived in Orlando which was far better than Hoffner.

Gotcha. I failed to notice that stretch. On Google Maps, most of it's labelled "Judge Rd".

You can definitely see where the plan to widen was started, but not carried through (at least not yet, since the widening near Conway only occurred in the late 2000s).

SSR_317

Quote from: SGwithADD on February 08, 2019, 05:25:09 PM
Quote from: SSR_317 on February 05, 2019, 01:19:14 PM
Didn't the Squirrel Hill Tunnel (I-376/US 22/US 30) in Pittsburgh used to have a travel surface composed of paving bricks? Does anyone know exactly when it was paved over?

I did not know that before... cool!  The tunnel had paving bricks when it opened in 1953, and the bricks were replaced during a 1980 rehabilitation.
Thanks for the update!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.