News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ontario's Highways

Started by un1, January 19, 2009, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

The last gap of Hwy-407 will open Monday from what I saw on that article. https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/news-story/9765057-toll-highway-407-link-to-peterborough-opens-monday/

QuoteThe extension of Highway 407 through to Highway 115/35 will open Monday ahead of the schedule previously released by the Ministry of Transportation.

At the same time, Highway 418 will provide another north/south connection from Highway 407 to Highway 401. The 407 extension will add 14.2 kilometres to the toll highway.

"Connecting Highway 407 to Highway 35/115 will create a vital link between Peterborough and the GTA," Peterborough-Kawartha MPP Dave Smith stated in a news release. "The extension of this highway will help attract jobs and economic growth to this region."

In the same release, Minister of Infrastructure Laurie Scott – MPP for Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock – stated that "Ontario's highway infrastructure investments help people get where they need to go in a safe and efficient way, while allowing businesses to move goods and deliver services more quickly ... These investments help make Ontario open for business and open for jobs."

While the new stretch of the 407 and 418 will be fully owned and operated by the province, motorists will only receive one invoice for the use of the 407, 412, 418 or 407 ETR. This includes transponder leases, monthly account charges, and video toll charges.

Rhonda Keenan, president of Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development, said there is a lot more to consider when you ponder the benefits of a second fixed extension to the GTA.

cu2010

Of course... one week after I was there!
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

rickmastfan67

So, with the new extension of ON-407 & 418 opening, does anybody have confirmation on the new exit numbers yet?  :bigass:

cl94

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 11, 2019, 02:12:44 PM
So, with the new extension of ON-407 & 418 opening, does anybody have confirmation on the new exit numbers yet?  :bigass:

Paging AsphaltPlanet or cbeach40...  (shame there's no way to tag people here)
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: cl94 on December 11, 2019, 05:00:35 PM

That's coming soon in SMF 2.1.

X99

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 11, 2019, 09:32:57 PM
Quote from: cl94 on December 11, 2019, 05:00:35 PM

That's coming soon in SMF 2.1.
I don't know what that stands for, so I can't tell if you mean the highway extension or the ability to tag people in posts. If it's the latter though, anonymous likes would be nice too. Some roadway discussions end up being so dumb they're funny, and it would be nice if we had a way to save a link to them just for ourselves (like saved posts on Reddit).

Back on topic, the ON-407/ON-412 interchange looks like it was designed to possibly allow a future northern extension of ON-412. Are there any such plans to do this?
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

AsphaltPlanet

The exit numbers for the 418 are as follows:

Durham Highway #2 - Exit 3

Taunton Road - Exit 8

Neither the exits for the 401 or the 407 from the 418 have posted exit numbers.  I have photos of the 407 exit numbers, but not handy with right now.

I have driven both the 407 and the 418.  I'd say they are both nice new highways, though they are both somewhat unremarkable given they are just modern four lane expressways.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on December 12, 2019, 02:09:22 PM
The exit numbers for the 418 are as follows:

Durham Highway #2 - Exit 3

Taunton Road - Exit 8

Neither the exits for the 401 or the 407 from the 418 have posted exit numbers.  I have photos of the 407 exit numbers, but not handy with right now.

I have driven both the 407 and the 418.  I'd say they are both nice new highways, though they are both somewhat unremarkable given they are just modern four lane expressways.

Thanks.  Will be awaiting the 407 numbers so I can push the 418 & 407 updates @ TM together. :)

AsphaltPlanet

For the 407:

Hwy 418 is 135

Durham Road 57 is 138

Darlington/Clarke Townline is 145.

Hwy 35/115 doesn't have a posted exit number.

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on December 14, 2019, 10:44:24 AM
For the 407:

Hwy 418 is 135

Durham Road 57 is 138

Darlington/Clarke Townline is 145.

Hwy 35/115 doesn't have a posted exit number.

TY!  Will get both routes updated on TM sometime today. :)

Oh, and that reminds me, by some odd chance, did the ending interchange of ON-407 get an exit number on ON-35/115?

AsphaltPlanet

yeah, the 407 is exit 14 from the 35/115.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on December 15, 2019, 11:17:54 AM
yeah, the 407 is exit 14 from the 35/115.

Alright, it hadn't been pulled in yet, so I've changed the 'ON407' label to 14.

Any other of the 'exits' on ON-35/115 gain exit numbers too? lol.

AsphaltPlanet

No, exits are otherwise still just reserved for the portion of the 115 north of the 35 split.

bing101

Asphalt Planet just did a segment on Ontario 417 and in this scene some of the roads in Quebec and Ontario towards Ottawa were under construction at the time of video.

Kniwt

Quote from: bing101 on December 27, 2019, 12:09:30 PM
Asphalt Planet just did a segment on Ontario 417

What stands out for me is the very low number of semitrailers and other large trucks on this major route, especially compared to, say, I-10 and I-40.

AsphaltPlanet

In Quebec, this video was filmed on Fete Nationale, so nobody was at work (and traffic was incredibly light).  It was a normal Monday in Ontario, but the 417 isn't the truck route that the 401 is.

Dougtone

An oldie, but a goodie. Visiting the Caledonia Bridge in Caledonia, Ontario. For those not familiar with the bridge, it's a nine-span rainbow arch bridge.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/12/caledonia-bridge-caledonia-ontario.html

andrepoiy

So I think a month ago, the widening of Highway 404 has started between Highway 7 up north at least to Major Mackenzie (I don't know how far north it goes though because I get off at Major Mack). I believe they're adding an HOV Lane there.

AsphaltPlanet

Chris

'407 via 418'

Not '418 to 407'.

Which is the common standard in Canada?

mrsman

Don't know about common standards, but my personal preference 418 to 407, basically listing the highways in order that you will reach them.

Nexus 5X

cbeach40

Quote from: Chris on January 08, 2020, 05:25:55 AM
'407 via 418'

Not '418 to 407'.

Which is the common standard in Canada?

Canada doesn't have national standards for well, most highway related things.

As far as Ontario goes, it's based on what unfamiliar drivers are most likely to be looking for, so in the 418's case it's just a little connector highway for people travelling between 401 and 407.
and waterrrrrrr!

AsphaltPlanet

*edit* I started writing my post before Chris had made the above post, but since I had already written it, I'm leaving it below:

Via is pretty common on Ontario's highways.  I'm not sure the term is used anywhere else in Canada.

I think the basic idea is that it puts the more predominant destination ahead of the connector road.  For example, most traffic utilizign the 418 is probably destined for the 407, so I've always assumed that's why it is signed that way.

There are overhead signs that use "to" or "to/vers" though as well.

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_7_images/7_dv_187_east_Aug16_24x16.jpg

Chris

'Via' is a word that works in French as well, eliminating the need for dual names.

Stephane Dumas

There a interesting photo showing the construction of the new bridges on French River who'll be the new lanes of Hwy-69. https://www.northernontariobusiness.com/regional-news/sudbury/spanning-the-french-river-2423914

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.