Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignGeek101

1995hoo

Rather odd BGS to the left over the yet-to-open I-75 express lanes approaching the I-595 interchange. The 700-foot distance is odd too. I saw this sign this summer but wasn't able to get a picture and then forgot about it until another thread here prompted me to remember it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1010246,-80.3604975,3a,75y,29.53h,78.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scy9X5zIacGp89WjDQjN44g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

paulthemapguy

I've never seen a sign like this before!  A cane indicating the presence of handicapped people in Toledo, Ohio

OH-US24-BlindpplS by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

thenetwork

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 17, 2016, 12:08:59 PM
I've never seen a sign like this before!  A cane indicating the presence of handicapped people in Toledo, Ohio

Those have been around in Toledo for decades.  They had those by the University of Toledo in the early 80s. 

One problem with that sign -- they forgot to add the white tip to the cane, like the ones by the university had.

kphoger

Seriously, how big of a danger is this?  I can only assume it's for crop dusters.

85th Street, between Valley Center (KS) and I-135

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on October 17, 2016, 01:10:27 PM
Seriously, how big of a danger is this?  I can only assume it's for crop dusters.

That's actually a common sign used on roads around airports where planes take off and land very near the road.  Probably just to help stop drivers be stunned by a big plane which may appear closer to the ground than it actually is.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on October 17, 2016, 03:09:52 PM

That's actually a common sign used on roads around airports where planes take off and land very near the road.  Probably just to help stop drivers be stunned by a big plane which may appear closer to the ground than it actually is.

Ah.  I'd never seen one before.

I do, however, note an absence of airports anywhere near Valley Center.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on October 17, 2016, 03:16:08 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 17, 2016, 03:09:52 PM

Ah.  I'd never seen one before.

I do, however, note an absence of airports anywhere near Valley Center.

Here's one on I-90 WB (Mass Pike) near Barnes Airport in Westfield, MA.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cjk374

20161017_131547 by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

Definitely an add-on by the Claiborne Parish highway dept.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jbnv

"House Crossing"

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

mrsman

I understand the push for internationalization of signs, but some concepts can be quite  insulting in picture format.

Blind typically have a different cane, so I would never guess that this sign referred to the blind.  But what would an alternative be, a man with red X's over the eyes?

spooky

There doesn't need to be a unique sign. You're supposed to yield to pedestrians no matter their sightedness.

kphoger

Quote from: spooky on October 19, 2016, 12:54:38 PM
There doesn't need to be a unique sign. You're supposed to yield to pedestrians no matter their sightedness.

Exactly.
OTOH, it's a warning plaque, not regulatory.  Not sure if I should obey it or not.

Quote from: mrsman on October 19, 2016, 12:26:30 PM
But what would an alternative be, a man with red X's over the eyes?

A standard pedestrian, with a cane added.
Male pronouns, please.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2016, 01:14:54 PM

Exactly.
OTOH, it's a warning plaque, not regulatory.  Not sure if I should obey it or not.

If a similar warning sign showed a curve ahead, would you obey it or ignore it and continue straight?

kphoger

I would be warned of the proximity of a curve.  That's what warning signs do.  Absent the sign, nothing changes as to what I'm expected to do as a driver.  Without a warning sign, I'm expected to not go straight where the road curves; in the presence of a warning sign, that still applies but not because there's a sign.

The plaque below it that might say '45 MPH' would be advisory in nature.  I would take that into consideration when choosing what speed to decelerate to, but such speed would not constitute a new speed limit because it's not regulatory in nature.
Male pronouns, please.

amroad17

Maybe the sign should say "YIELD TO VAUDEVILLE ACTS".  :D

Besides, blind people do not use that kind of cane.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

TR69

At first it looks like this street sign might be honoring Eli Whitney's invention (especially when zipping by at 55 mph). But, not quite. (It's a local family name. This road leads to their farm.)

Shelbyville, Kentucky.

TR69

It could very well be that I lead too sheltered of a life, but I don't think I've ever before seen "Highway" abbreviated like this:

Shelbyville, Kentucky

mrsman

Of course. But warning drivers that you are passing a location that is more likely to have disabled people is helpful, which is why the warnings exist.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/news/article/13043607/whats-the-deal-with-deaf-child-signs-how-do-parents

cl94

I was poking around GSV and found this interesting street blade thing in Reagan, TN. Seem to be a bunch of them around Reagan. Any idea why places would use these difficult-to-read signs?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kphoger

Glen Ellyn, IL has those, except they're stone posts painted white.
Male pronouns, please.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: kphoger on October 24, 2016, 10:44:40 PM
Glen Ellyn, IL has those, except they're stone posts painted white.
Chattahoochee, FL still uses those, IIRC. Huntsville, AL and Fort Payne, AL also used to use them, but they no longer do, though several still remain in both cities.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

bzakharin

Quote from: cl94 on October 24, 2016, 10:32:28 PM
I was poking around GSV and found this interesting street blade thing in Reagan, TN. Seem to be a bunch of them around Reagan. Any idea why places would use these difficult-to-read signs?
I've seen similar signs in NJ. Most are very old and black on white, but here is a newer looking blue one at Main Street and Woodbridge Avenue in Metuchen:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5400609,-74.3604708,3a,37.5y,153h,82.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6YyH5o71kkJGpOf61AFYKw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

Edit: it seems they are all over that part of Metuchen. Here's another one:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5424045,-74.3523315,3a,37.5y,213.8h,73.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slIHXTyk-g12kuwfDSYe2Sw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

KEVIN_224

New Britain, CT used to have tall white wooden street sign posts with black lettering. Somehow, one is still standing a few blocks from here...sort of!

https://goo.gl/maps/LZGKXz5rvDL2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.