Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

There are also a few on US 20A approaching Warsaw due to the steep hill.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: TBKS1 on January 05, 2018, 12:02:53 AM
So let me get this straight...

It seems like most BRSs are used either for tunnels or giant "Do Not Enter/Wrong Way" signs.

Make sense.  Red means stop or a stern warning in most cases.

chays

This intersection in Winter Park, FL, forgoes the added "4 Way" sign for the stop signs.  Instead, it is written right on the stop sign itself.
In addition, as you can see across the street, the Yield to Peds signs are yellow octagons on the reverse side.  All 4 stops at this intersection receive the same treatment.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: chays on January 05, 2018, 03:49:53 PM
This intersection in Winter Park, FL, forgoes the added "4 Way" sign for the stop signs.  Instead, it is written right on the stop sign itself.
In addition, as you can see across the street, the Yield to Peds signs are yellow octagons on the reverse side.  All 4 stops at this intersection receive the same treatment.

That P also looks off.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MNHighwayMan

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

slorydn1

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

D-Dey65

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

PHLBOS

Speaking of old fashioned railroad signs; here's a survivor sign (next to the telephone pole) approaching a trolley crossing (SEPTA's Route 102).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 08, 2018, 09:02:47 AM
Speaking of old fashioned railroad signs; here's a survivor sign (next to the telephone pole) approaching a trolley crossing (SEPTA's Route 102).

I'm not sure what a "survivor" sign is, but that one's positively ancient! One of the oldest signs I've seen for quite a while.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on January 09, 2018, 03:11:02 AM
I'm not sure what a "survivor" sign is, but that one's positively ancient! One of the oldest signs I've seen for quite a while.

I think he just means a really, really old sign that somehow still "survives" being posted in the wild. ;-)

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 09, 2018, 03:47:15 AM

I think he just means a really, really old sign that somehow still "survives" being posted in the wild. ;-)

Hmm, yes. So he meant "surviving", then.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jakeroot on January 09, 2018, 04:26:30 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 09, 2018, 03:47:15 AM

Hmm, yes. So he meant "surviving", then.
Yes I did.  My reason for using the word survivor is due to others using the same word to describe such.  Had I not included the word sign in my previous post/hot-link; would the last three posts even occurred?  :)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

US71

I found two CAUTION signs last week in West Fork, AR.  Does anyone use these anymore?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: US71 on January 10, 2018, 02:56:08 PM

I found two CAUTION signs last week in West Fork, AR.  Does anyone use these anymore?

It's not uncommon but it's not common in Oregon. More often used now on walking paths.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 11, 2018, 02:27:21 AM
It's not uncommon but it's not common in Oregon. More often used now on walking paths.
I rarely see any Caution signs anymore. Furthermore I don't remember whether or not I've seen any on the Suncoast Trail or Withlacoochee State Trail. I should keep looking.

Michael

While looking around in Street View, I stumbled on this orange Share the Road sign in a construction zone on US 11 in Binghamton, NY.

D-Dey65

Makes me sorry I've never been there. But if you want old cast iron railroad signs, I recommend this story from Trains Are Fun:
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/far%20rockaway%20branch/farrockawaybranch.htm#Ozone Park Sign

jakeroot

WSDOT just posted this image on their Flickr, from a resurfacing project near Concrete last summer. I know it's a sign to indicate restrooms in 500 feet, but what standard dictates that shape? I rarely see signs that aren't anything but square. I seem to recall different shapes for National Forest Service areas and National Parks, but this sign is not in either. Up Hwy 20 about a half hour, is the Mt Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, but that's it.

Gmaps link: https://goo.gl/naUvSc

J N Winkler

Quote from: jakeroot on January 14, 2018, 03:52:47 AMWSDOT just posted this image on their Flickr, from a resurfacing project near Concrete last summer. I know it's a sign to indicate restrooms in 500 feet, but what standard dictates that shape? I rarely see signs that aren't anything but square.

Some states use the narrow-base symmetrical trapezoid shape for state-specific standard signs for scenic drives, ski areas, other destinations of recreational or cultural interest, etc.  Colorado has a cute template, with a pine tree at the bottom, that is available in blue, brown, and (I think) green.  AFAIK, only the asymmetrical bias-cut trapezoid is in the MUTCD and it is strictly for tourist signing only (brown background color).

I think this sign could be a one-off (not even a WSDOT standard), but this is something you could check in WSDOT's Sign Fabrication Manual.  It includes both signs that are in the federal Standard Highway Signs and Washington-specific designs.  The former have sign codes that match up with SHS, while the latter have codes that follow the federal sign coding scheme but with three digits in the second digit group.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 14, 2018, 11:18:26 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 14, 2018, 03:52:47 AMWSDOT just posted this image on their Flickr, from a resurfacing project near Concrete last summer. I know it's a sign to indicate restrooms in 500 feet, but what standard dictates that shape? I rarely see signs that aren't anything but square.

Some states use the narrow-base symmetrical trapezoid shape for state-specific standard signs for scenic drives, ski areas, other destinations of recreational or cultural interest, etc.  Colorado has a cute template, with a pine tree at the bottom, that is available in blue, brown, and (I think) green.  AFAIK, only the asymmetrical bias-cut trapezoid is in the MUTCD and it is strictly for tourist signing only (brown background color).

I think this sign could be a one-off (not even a WSDOT standard), but this is something you could check in WSDOT's Sign Fabrication Manual.  It includes both signs that are in the federal Standard Highway Signs and Washington-specific designs.  The former have sign codes that match up with SHS, while the latter have codes that follow the federal sign coding scheme but with three digits in the second digit group.

Thank you for the tip. I checked the fabrication manual. There's a restroom sign (D5-908) but it's square with a brown background. Part of the Recreational Facility Symbol Signs group.

Further down, there's also the Motorist Service and Recreational Facility Symbol Signs, where (when used as motorist service sign) another restroom sign (D9-7) can have a blue background, but a trapezoidal background is obviously not specified.

Kniwt

Here's an ancient postmile marker on San Bernardino County 66 (aka Route 66), taken today. There are several more like it in the area, all of which appear to be marking old bridges on the U.S. 66 alignment.

Why "interesting"? Because it shows the route marked as "40," which predates the actual I-40 just a little bit south.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.