News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

Quote from: rellis97 on February 17, 2021, 08:53:50 PM
I also never understood why MDOT uses "Chicago" for the westbound control city. Cities such as Ann Arbor, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Benton Harbor / St. Joseph would be sufficient to use while within Michigan. The same goes for eastbound travel where MDOT uses "Detroit" for the entire I-94 corridor into Detroit, with a few exceptions.

Interestingly, most interchange signage between Marshall and Ann Arbor shows Marshall, Jackson, and Ann Arbor as controls.

PurdueBill

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 17, 2021, 03:37:58 PM
I see Detroit has seceded from Michigan, joining the state of Chicago.

Looks like the Clearviewizing of the sign that I got a photo of in 2007 for Steve's M-39 page didn't change the layout of the sign at all!  Although the cute MICH state name is gone from the I-94 shield now. 

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MCRoads

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on February 16, 2021, 06:59:49 PM
New Mexico:

In a dust storm

Pull off roadway

Turn vehicle off

Feet off breaks

Stay buckled

Well, that is an interesting idea. I had no idea that is what you are supposed to do. I always thought that it would just be like a dens fog, but brown. Do they really get to the point where you can't drive?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kphoger

Quote from: MCRoads on February 18, 2021, 02:14:14 PM
Well, that is an interesting idea. I had no idea that is what you are supposed to do. I always thought that it would just be like a dens fog, but brown. Do they really get to the point where you can't drive?

Yes.  I can only imagine trying to maintain highway speeds through a dust storm.  See below for my experience in a Mexican dust storm.

Quote from: kphoger on June 13, 2012, 10:58:44 AM
Driving through a dust storm (shortly after driving right through the middle of a dust devil) on the way to Ganivete.  It was worse than a blizzard, especially since I couldn't watch for obstacles on the road.

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: MCRoads on February 18, 2021, 02:14:14 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on February 16, 2021, 06:59:49 PM
New Mexico:

In a dust storm

Pull off roadway

Turn vehicle off

Feet off breaks

Stay buckled

Yes.  I got into one once that was so bad I couldn't see past the front end of the vehicle.  I had to stop.  Luckily I was north of Roswell which was pretty desolate so I wasn't worried about being rear ended by someone else in the dust storm. 

JoePCool14

I also never understood why MDOT uses "Chicago" for the westbound control city. Cities such as Ann Arbor, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Benton Harbor / St. Joseph would be sufficient to use while within Michigan. The same goes for eastbound travel where MDOT uses "Detroit" for the entire I-94 corridor into Detroit, with a few exceptions.

As someone who lives in the Chicagoland area, it is incredible how powerful Chicago as a control city really is.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on February 17, 2021, 03:50:26 PM

Actually, if there was a vertical line between Detroit and Chicago, I wouldn't mind that at all. You could even put EAST in one top corner and WEST in the other.

As noted above, MUTCD standard (not just MDOT standard) would be a spaced hyphen ("Detroit - Chicago"). British standard (which OTA uses on at least one sign) would be a comma ("Detroit, Chicago"), and I believe Quebec would use a bullet ("Detroit ⬤ Chicago").
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J3ebrules

Is it just me, or did the letters a, g, and o seem slimmer than the "Chic"  part? It's like they ran out of white halfway and had to skimp on the letter thickness.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

Scott5114

Quote from: J3ebrules on February 19, 2021, 12:00:20 AM

Is it just me, or did the letters a, g, and o seem slimmer than the "Chic"  part? It's like they ran out of white halfway and had to skimp on the letter thickness.

The sun is directly behind the camera–you're seeing the effects of halation.

thenetwork

Typically, MDOT uses a hyphen (-) to separate control cities (or destinations) in opposite directions of travel. In this case, it should read "Detroit - Chicago". I also never understood why MDOT uses "Chicago" for the westbound control city. Cities such as Ann Arbor, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Benton Harbor / St. Joseph would be sufficient to use while within Michigan. The same goes for eastbound travel where MDOT uses "Detroit" for the entire I-94 corridor into Detroit, with a few exceptions.

Don't forget that Indiana also uses Detroit as the control city for I-94 East.  So at least MDOT remains consistent through the corridor.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 19, 2021, 12:08:08 AM

Which is what Clearview was supposed to put an end to, right?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on February 19, 2021, 09:46:12 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 19, 2021, 12:08:08 AM

Which is what Clearview was supposed to put an end to, right?

The only way to put an end to halation is to stop using high-intensity retroreflective sheeting. And that's not going to happen.

Clearview was designed with larger counter spaces (holes in the letters) so that even with the effects of halation, the spaces should theoretically remain open. With Series E(M), the counter spaces are small enough that they get washed out by halation. EEM has larger counter spaces than E(M) does, which is why it performs at least as well as Clearview does.

mrsman

hbelkins

Saw a picture of this sign on a TV news story's Facebook thumbnail, so I went to the KYTC Photolog to get this picture. There are several signs for KY 2632 in this font along the route and its intersecting routes. This is just off US 231 in Warren County, not far from Bowling Green.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JoePCool14

Quote from: hbelkins on February 20, 2021, 11:49:11 PM
Saw a picture of this sign on a TV news story's Facebook thumbnail, so I went to the KYTC Photolog to get this picture. There are several signs for KY 2632 in this font along the route and its intersecting routes. This is just off US 231 in Warren County, not far from Bowling Green.

Mmm, gotta love that Arialveticverstesk in the morning.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

formulanone

If you told me it was a prop for a movie in New Jersey, I would almost believe it.

roadman65

Interesting that the 128.0 Mile post I-70 in MO is one mile away from the exit that has its number.

Autocorrect again.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on February 22, 2021, 05:32:36 AM

If you told me it was a prop for a movie in New Jersey, I would almost believe it.

From WandaVision (airing right now on Disney+), which takes place in the fictional village of Westview, New Jersey:

Scott5114

Amazing that they got the black background of the route marker right when everything else about the sign is wrong.

hotdogPi

Okay, where is the exit actually located?

• I don't recognize the plate style of the foreground car, but the background car looks like an authentic New Jersey plate. Of course, this could be part of the show and not reality.
  • The gore sign has no exit number.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 23, 2021, 08:52:22 PM
Amazing that they got the black background of the route marker right when everything else about the sign is wrong.

Remarkably good attention to detail...apart from almost everything. But the black background is like +1000 points so maybe it's okay.

Quote from: 1 on February 23, 2021, 08:57:45 PM
Okay, where is the exit actually located?

• I don't recognize the plate style of the foreground car, but the background car looks like an authentic New Jersey plate. Of course, this could be part of the show and not reality.
  • The gore sign has no exit number.

I would bet somewhere in Georgia. The show is primarily filmed on sets in California and Georgia, but what I see looks nothing like any freeways in California.

The plate is a SWORD plate (Avengers-universe thing).

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.