Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 23, 2021, 08:52:22 PM
Amazing that they got the black background of the route marker right when everything else about the sign is wrong.

The arrow looks okay, although the placement is obviously terrible.

Quote from: jakeroot on February 23, 2021, 09:49:54 PM
I would bet somewhere in Georgia. The show is primarily filmed on sets in California and Georgia, but what I see looks nothing like any freeways in California.

I actually don't think so. If you squint closely, the exit gore sign in the background kinda looks like it's in Clearview.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on February 23, 2021, 09:49:54 PM

Quote from: 1 on February 23, 2021, 08:57:45 PM
Okay, where is the exit actually located?

• I don't recognize the plate style of the foreground car, but the background car looks like an authentic New Jersey plate. Of course, this could be part of the show and not reality.
  • The gore sign has no exit number.

I would bet somewhere in Georgia. The show is primarily filmed on sets in California and Georgia, but what I see looks nothing like any freeways in California.

The plate is a SWORD plate (Avengers-universe thing).

I'm not sure if you're onto something there, or if you're leading us all astray in the location hunt.  The yellow warning signs first appeared to me like they might be "BRIDGE ICES BEFORE ROAD" signs, similar to those visible here.  But then I noticed the Yield signs on the opposite on-ramp:  does Georgia even use those?

One key to identifying the location might actually be that the highway goes over the crossroad rather than under it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mapmikey

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadman65 on February 24, 2021, 12:07:02 PM
One shield would do.

Those old shields are beautiful though.  Double the pleasure.  No chewing gum necessary.

Is it a one-way pair thus the two shields?  (Still wouldn't be necessary, but could be an excuse)

jakeroot

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 24, 2021, 11:31:01 AM
It is GA 74 in Tyrone GA

https://goo.gl/maps/ynBuHhatfbJcXo5G7

No surprise that it's barely a couple miles from the studio (Trilith) where the show is filmed.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

riiga

Some temporary signage put up since nearby construction blocks a lane. Except someone decided the orange signs should be in blue and white instead. Our normal merge signs don't even use this color scheme.

For reference, regular temporary sign and regular merge sign (both mirrored):

hotdogPi

Do you know any signs anywhere that say (with any equivalent wording) "Private property – you may stay on the path to get to the other side; no trespassing off the path"?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

wanderer2575

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 17, 2021, 03:37:58 PM
I see Detroit has seceded from Michigan, joining the state of Chicago.

Unrelated to the control city display is the oddity of the exit numbers.  This is exit 1, although the southern end of the interchange is a little more than two miles north of M-39's southern terminus.  Then the numbering gets on track by making Van Born Road (1/2 mile farther) exit 2 and Outer Drive (another 1/2 mile farther) exit 3.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on February 26, 2021, 11:14:10 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/yRf8oHUe9v7gkv39A
Quebec's way of signing a three way stop.

They do the same for four-way stops. The alternative would be a plaque that says "Toutes Directions." I've seen those in places, too. I kind of like the little graphical sign you posted.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on February 26, 2021, 12:38:56 PM
Do you know any signs anywhere that say (with any equivalent wording) "Private property – you may stay on the path to get to the other side; no trespassing off the path"?

Not that I have any pics, but yes in certain parks in Massachusetts there are trails that are effectively easements thru private property to get to some sort of public property (or a private but opened to the public reservation). I presume that is a fairly standard thing nationwide.

The development my mother lives in in Hudson NH just provided an easement for such a purpose, and likely will have such signage reflecting something along the lines of "stay on the path".

1995hoo

I suspect this may be somewhat common in the UK based on their footpaths. I also wouldn't be surprised to see this sort of thing in beach towns where there's an easement between properties. In North Myrtle Beach there were "Public Beach Access" signs indicating such places, for example, although I haven't been there since 1995 aside from one time passing through the area on SC-31 on my way south, so I don't know if they're still there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 27, 2021, 12:34:21 PM

I suspect this may be somewhat common in the UK based on their footpaths. I also wouldn't be surprised to see this sort of thing in beach towns where there's an easement between properties. In North Myrtle Beach there were "Public Beach Access" signs indicating such places, for example, although I haven't been there since 1995 aside from one time passing through the area on SC-31 on my way south, so I don't know if they're still there.

Folly Beach SC has these in a few places along Ashley Ave which is 2 blocks off the beach.  Simple green letter on white sign that says "public beach access"

wanderer2575

Ironically, you could crash while reading all the text on this sign.  Interstate 96, Ingham County, Michigan.

JoePCool14

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 27, 2021, 10:45:36 PM
Ironically, you could crash while reading all the text on this sign.  Interstate 96, Ingham County, Michigan.

It's a nice looking sign though. One of the few new Highway Gothic signs that we'll get from MDOT in the short renaissance age.

Steve.S

I noticed this one yesterday.  It's on KY-53 just south of I-71 in La Grange.  Seems like a good idea.  I-71 is two lanes between Louisville and Cincinnati, and a crash anywhere in there really fouls up the works.

Location is here:
https://goo.gl/maps/SqNCmVA4SREwfd3i6
Semper ubi sub ubi.

jakeroot

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 27, 2021, 10:45:36 PM

In order to read the sign about distracted driving, doesn't it technically have to distract you? That's insane irony for a road sign.

ErmineNotyours

Shortly after a popular Maui lava field was closed to the public.  Sign is missing from more recent views, by which time they put up fences.

stevashe

There was a discussion about some interesting milepost equation signs posted by WSDOT a bunch of pages back, and in a similar vein, I've noticed the SR 99 tunnel has these milepost signs on the walls that not only include tenths of a mile (rare in WA), but also survey stationing!

JoePCool14

I see my civil engineering education is finally paying off. :nod:

noelbotevera

Dumb question: I've seen survey stationing numbers on structures like bridges; do these correspond to the coordinates of the marker (and thus the structure) or something else entirely?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

JoePCool14

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 02, 2021, 10:29:09 AM
Dumb question: I've seen survey stationing numbers on structures like bridges; do these correspond to the coordinates of the marker (and thus the structure) or something else entirely?

To the best of my current knowledge, station numbers are not absolute numbers. They're not related to real coordinates. They're used for laying out a linear build, such as a road, and the first number represents 100 feet. To answer your question, they are just relative to whatever the plans define the initial station (0 + 00 or 1 + 00) to be.

Someone who knows more, please feel free to correct me or add on.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.