Liquor

Started by OCGuy81, May 05, 2021, 07:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Much like the thread about wine, do you have a preference for certain types of liquor whenever you choose to partake?

My brother in law recently poured me some 18-year Glenlivet.  It was pretty good, but honestly, I couldn't have told the difference between that and "lesser" types of whiskeys.  I guess it's like wine, where you have to kind of know how to properly taste, savor, note certain flavors, etc.  Granted I'm sure I could tell the difference between the fancy stuff and some cheap ass Clan MacGregor, but as far as ages, single malt, etc goes I guess I'm flying blind.

Certainly wine is my default when I do drink, but I do keep some of the following around the house.

- Tito's.  I think this is incredibly smooth vodka, and I could almost sip it just straight.

- Hornitos.  Not a bad buy for tequila, and certainly not as rough as some Cuervo.

- Jameson.  Kind of the one whiskey I normally gravitate towards.

I think the wife has some flavored vodkas she'll bust out on occasion, but those are my proverbial three amigos.  What're yours?

csw

Liquor? I hardly know her.

OCGuy81

Roadgeekteen

Never had liquor (duh). Isn't liquor generally stronger than wine?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Takumi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2021, 07:47:49 PM
Yes. Typically liquor is over 20% alcohol volume.

I can't drink liquor anymore. The buzz lasts too short for me, so if I want to have a sustained one I have to overindulge and I'd rather not do that.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

OCGuy81

Whaaaa? When I was your age I used a combination of a fake ID or a friend's older sibling for that.

My reminiscing aside, yes, it's generally much stronger.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 05, 2021, 08:06:59 PM

Whaaaa? When I was your age I used a combination of a fake ID or a friend's older sibling for that.

I have had a couple of sips of alcohol before. I didn't like it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

OCGuy81

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2021, 08:12:02 PM

I have had a couple of sips of alcohol before. I didn't like it.

I was just giving you a bad time. :-)

It's definitely not for everybody. I barely drink much of it nowadays. Hits me a bit too hard

Max Rockatansky

As long as it isn't cheap liquor I'm generally game for anything.  I kind of have an affinity for Gin for some reason and often get bottles as Christmas gifts.

jeffandnicole

Alcohol is often an acquired taste...not many people say they loved their first sips.

For me, my go to is just a general lager. Yuengling, Corona, etc. For wine, I like sweet, fruity wines. Vodka over most other liquors.

There's also some truth in that tequila makes the clothes come off. Or my wife's jello shots.

Good times. Who wants a beer? NE2's buying.

SSOWorld

Whiskey's good taken in moderation and mixed appropriately.

straight up? I'll pass.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

OCGuy81

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 05, 2021, 08:58:06 PM
Alcohol is often an acquired taste...not many people say they loved their first sips.

For me, my go to is just a general lager. Yuengling, Corona, etc. For wine, I like sweet, fruity wines. Vodka over most other liquors.

There's also some truth in that tequila makes the clothes come off. Or my wife's jello shots.

Good times. Who wants a beer? NE2's buying.

I'm in. Thanks NE2!

ilpt4u

I like some Makers Mark bourbon - Neat, On the Rocks, or in a nice Cocktail (makes a yummy Old Fashioned)

I agree that Tito's is good vodka

If I want to get st00p1d, a bottle of Wild Turkey American Honey is basically my Kryptonite...It is sweet and smooth, and a full "fifth" /bottle can disappear very quickly in an evening. My older brother likes to get a bottle when I visit at holidays or other functions

allniter89

Boones Farm b4 I was legal. Crown Royal now, smooth
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

jeffandnicole

kkt

kkt

Scotch, Lagavulin is very nice
Brandy

that said, I don't have it very often and only about a thimbleful at a time.

SSOWorld

Quote from: csw on May 05, 2021, 07:16:07 PM
Liquor? I hardly know her.
You win the thread. :bigass: 🤣😂
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

NWI_Irish96

Bruichladdich is a Scotch that I love. It's expensive, about $60/bottle, so I usually just get one a year at my birthday.

My years living near Kentucky got me drinking bourbon. Four Roses small batch is my favorite moderately priced bourbon.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Besides wine, I also keep gin in the house.  Each weekend, either Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon, I make a cocktail.  Either a Gin & Tonic (with a squeeze of lime and a few dashes of Peychaud's bitters), a Tom Collins (with a few dashes of Angostura bitters), a grapefruit gin fizz (with an egg white), or a Salty Dog.  Usually one of the first two.

I've tried several different gins:
  Gordon's London Dry
  Tanqueray Rangpur Lime
  Beefeater London Dry
  Bombay Sapphire London Dry
  Bluecoat American Dry

Of those, the ones that mix the best into my cocktails are Beefeater and Bombay Sapphire.  Those two don't impart any "off" flavors to the drink.  The Bombay Sapphire adds some interesting other flavors, so I think that's going to be my go-to gin from now on.  (Beefeater is basically all juniper, which is fine too.)  I find it interesting that Bombay Sapphire is also the brand I grew up seeing in the house for my dad's occasional martini.  It's also the brand my sister and her husband buy.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Vodka - They're essentially all the same, so normally just what's cheap.  I use Marble quite a bit (local Colorado brand)
"Traditional" Gin - Hendrick's or Leopold's Summer Gin (local Colorado brand)
Old Tom Gin - Ransom
Tequila Blanca - ArteNOM 1579
Tequila Reposado - Casamigos
Tequila Añejo - Don Julio
Tequila Extra Añejo - Organic Diablito
Mezcal - Alipús Destilado en Barro
Rum - Foursquare 2007
Bourbon - Weller 12 Year
Rye Whiskey - A.D. Laws' (local Colorado brand)
Corn Whiskey - A.D. Laws' (local Colorado brand)
Irish Whisky - Knappogue Castle 12 Year
Scotch Whisky - Balvenie 14 Year Caribbean Cask
Japanese Whisky - Akashi White Label
Brandy - Germain-Robin
Cognac - Hennessy Paradis
Miscellaneous Spirits - Fernet Branca and Green Chartreuse

Chris

OCGuy81

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2021, 10:24:14 AM
Besides wine, I also keep gin in the house.  Each weekend, either Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon, I make a cocktail.  Either a Gin & Tonic (with a squeeze of lime and a few dashes of Peychaud's bitters), a Tom Collins (with a few dashes of Angostura bitters), a grapefruit gin fizz (with an egg white), or a Salty Dog.  Usually one of the first two.

I've tried several different gins:
  Gordon's London Dry
  Tanqueray Rangpur Lime
  Beefeater London Dry
  Bombay Sapphire London Dry
  Bluecoat American Dry

Of those, the ones that mix the best into my cocktails are Beefeater and Bombay Sapphire.  Those two don't impart any "off" flavors to the drink.  The Bombay Sapphire adds some interesting other flavors, so I think that's going to be my go-to gin from now on.  (Beefeater is basically all juniper, which is fine too.)  I find it interesting that Bombay Sapphire is also the brand I grew up seeing in the house for my dad's occasional martini.  It's also the brand my sister and her husband buy.

I've had a gin fizz in New Orleans before, and I really recall liking them.  It's something I've never attempted to make at home, however.

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 06, 2021, 11:14:03 AM
Vodka - They're essentially all the same, so normally just what's cheap. 

Them's fightin' words!   :)

Also:  Gin is just flavored vodka.  Change my mind.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2021, 11:21:05 AM
Quote from: jayhawkco on May 06, 2021, 11:14:03 AM
Vodka - They're essentially all the same, so normally just what's cheap. 

Them's fightin' words!   :)

Vodka is meant to be an odorless, flavorless spirit.  So yes, they should all be basically the same.  The only differences in vodka are the water source (which obviously could have other dissolved solids giving different flavors) and the heads/hearts/tails ratio.  Outside of the absolute cheapest vodkas (Barton, McCormick, Viaka, etc.), those ratios are nearly the same with all other brands.  No need to spend $40 on a bottle of Belvedere when a $16 bottle of Monopolowa is the same quality level.

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2021, 11:21:05 AM
Also:  Gin is just flavored vodka.  Change my mind.

No need to change your mind. I'm in 100% agreement.

Chris

jmacswimmer

My go-to's are Tito's for vodka, and Captain Morgan (spiced) for rum.  With those I'll typically make vodka+ginger ale & rum+coke.

In a bar setting, my fiancée & I agree that the Long Island Iced Tea is only to be ordered if we desire an especially rowdy evening... :sombrero:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.