Interstate 11 alignment, though Vegas and points north

Started by swbrotha100, October 16, 2012, 09:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splashflash

US 6 should be known as the "loneliest highway" in the US, not US 50.  Having it numbered NV 120 might make as much sense as its retaining its US Highway designation.

US 89

Quote from: pderocco on November 20, 2023, 02:14:40 AM
The only piece of that section of US-6 that isn't multiplexed with or adjacent to another US or I route is from US-191 to US-89, which isn't very long.

But the majority of traffic on the overlaps with US 89 and US 191 isn't following those routes. So that doesn't quite seem like a fair comparison. The common name for that whole section from Spanish Fork to Green River is "Highway 6" regardless of any other overlaps.

I suppose one idea that might not be horrible is to designate a single US number over the entire corridor from Bernalillo to Spanish Fork. That way, you have one consistent main SLC to Albuquerque highway, probably numbered something x85 or x89. You'd be able to decommission 550 south of Bloomfield (or reroute it to Farmington like it historically went), decommission 491 north of Shiprock, and get rid of US 6 everywhere west of Sterling CO. Existing 6 west of I-15 could either become a new route (US 450, perhaps) or be deleted entirely.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: vdeane on November 18, 2023, 09:45:07 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 18, 2023, 09:28:19 PM
The Summerlin Parkway would probably need to connect with CC-215 via a freeway-to-freeway interchange for it to become an Interstate. I would leave the roadway NV 613.
I think I remember reading somewhere that there are long-term plans to make that interchange freeway-freeway.

Fun fact: on the west side of the current interchange there is a buried bridge. Presumably it will be uncovered and used for a future ramp for the s/b to e/b movement when the interchange is reconfigured to eliminate intersections.

I'm not sure how they're going to route the e/b to n/b and n/b to w/b movements once the intersections are eliminated, though.

roadfro

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on November 21, 2023, 02:08:59 AM
Quote from: vdeane on November 18, 2023, 09:45:07 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 18, 2023, 09:28:19 PM
The Summerlin Parkway would probably need to connect with CC-215 via a freeway-to-freeway interchange for it to become an Interstate. I would leave the roadway NV 613.
I think I remember reading somewhere that there are long-term plans to make that interchange freeway-freeway.

Fun fact: on the west side of the current interchange there is a buried bridge. Presumably it will be uncovered and used for a future ramp for the s/b to e/b movement when the interchange is reconfigured to eliminate intersections.

I'm not sure how they're going to route the e/b to n/b and n/b to w/b movements once the intersections are eliminated, though.

I wouldn't say the bridge is "buried" since traffic flows atop it, but the undercrossing has not been excavated. Thus, it's not immediately obvious there's a bridge there unless you happen to notice it from the SB off ramp.

It's quite possible that the EB>NB and NB>WB (and maybe EB>SB) ramp movements will remain signalized at their current locations. Summerlin Pkwy is planned to be an arterial roadway, not a freeway, west of the 215 such that free-flow movements wouldn't necessarily be warranted.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

elsmere241

Quote from: splashflash on November 20, 2023, 04:56:25 PM
US 6 should be known as the "loneliest highway" in the US, not US 50.  Having it numbered NV 120 might make as much sense as its retaining its US Highway designation.

Back in 1996, I saw a sign in Eureka, UT that read "America's loveliest town, on America's loneliest road."  Of course, that could have been put up when US 50 followed US 6 through there.

Occidental Tourist

Maybe a Spring Mountain Road-type situation where they leave the stoplight on the east side of the bridge in place and just make the movements off of CC-215 e/b free-flowing.  Don't know why'd you need to keep the stoplight on the west side of the bridge, unless there's a downstream spacing concern about moving the eb to sb ramp from the north to the south side of the bridge.

The Ghostbuster

Speaking of CC-215, how soon will it be until it becomes part of Interstate 215?

mgk920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 24, 2023, 05:44:41 PM
Speaking of CC-215, how soon will it be until it becomes part of Interstate 215?

There still is cross street interchange work to complete on 215 before that is on the table, correct?

Mike

roadfro

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 24, 2023, 05:44:41 PM

Probably just as soon as NDOT and CCPW agree to the jurisdictional swap and NDOT petitions AASHTO to approve the I-215 designation around the rest of the loop (I believe they still only have the original approval from I-515/I-11 westward to Tropicana Ave).

Quote from: mgk920 on November 25, 2023, 12:14:47 PM
There still is cross street interchange work to complete on 215 before that is on the table, correct?

The last at-grade section of the 215, which is the immediate vicinity around the US 95 Centennial Bowl interchange, has been under construction for the last year or two—the scope of work including conversion of the beltway to full freeway and completing the remaining system interchange ramps with US 95 (among other things). If a recent edit to the Las Vegas Beltway article on Wikipedia is to be believed, the mainline beltway improvements may already be complete.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cl94

As of 2 weeks ago, CC 215 was full freeway. Just a few minor things left to finish at the Centennial Bowl.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

DenverBrian

And...is CC215 the nation's longest full freeway county road?

Alps

Quote from: DenverBrian on November 25, 2023, 06:35:24 PM
I don't see anything that could compete with that many miles.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on November 25, 2023, 08:57:03 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on November 25, 2023, 06:35:24 PM
I don't see anything that could compete with that many miles.

Depends how you want to count E-470, which is maintained by what is basically a county toll authority. But for something pure county, CC 215 is the longest county road freeway.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Scott5114

Of course, to become I-215, Clark County would have to transfer the road to NDOT. I'm not sure how long all of the bureaucracy for such a thing would take.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cl94

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 26, 2023, 04:09:37 PM
Of course, to become I-215, Clark County would have to transfer the road to NDOT. I'm not sure how long all of the bureaucracy for such a thing would take.

Maintenance swaps happen all the time in Nevada, especially in Clark County. I wouldn't be shocked if they time it all to happen with the new route log coming in January. The transfer has been in the works for a while, so it is possible that they have something ready to go as soon as the Centennial Bowl work is complete.

I will also note that a lot of the internal systems such as cameras, sensors, etc. on the NDOT side already refer to CC 215 as "I-215". And the I-11 transition is certainly underway even if it won't be official for a couple of months.

roadfro

Quote from: cl94 on November 27, 2023, 01:09:10 AM
Maintenance swaps happen all the time in Nevada, especially in Clark County. I wouldn't be shocked if they time it all to happen with the new route log coming in January. The transfer has been in the works for a while, so it is possible that they have something ready to go as soon as the Centennial Bowl work is complete.

Maintenance swaps seem to be happening more and more, but even about 10-15 years ago it was a relatively uncommon occurrence. NDOT adopting a policy within the last decade or so  about jurisdictional transfers and what types of roads they should maintain has led to more of this—especially in Clark County.

I will also note that a lot of the internal systems such as cameras, sensors, etc. on the NDOT side already refer to CC 215 as "I-215". And the I-11 transition is certainly underway even if it won't be official for a couple of months.

A lot of those ITS devices are operated by RTC's FAST center though...

DenverBrian

On I-515, many light stanchions have arrived in the median for install on the new median barrier. Still several miles of median work to be completed. I'm guessing no I-11 signage until all this construction is complete.

Scott5114

Quote from: cl94 on November 27, 2023, 01:09:10 AM

I keep forgetting the speed at which Nevada government operates—it's blazing fast compared to what I'm used to. Planning ahead for a known occurrence in the future? Who does that?  :-D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

This is technically not an "of course" - for years, most of the existing segment of I-215 between 15 and 515 by the airport was county maintained despite being fully signed and authorized as an interstate.

cl94

Quote from: US 89 on November 27, 2023, 11:33:09 PM

This is technically not an "of course" - for years, most of the existing segment of I-215 between 15 and 515 by the airport was county maintained despite being fully signed and authorized as an interstate.

Yes. For a while, I-215 was the sole county-maintained Interstate. This is no longer the case due to maintenance swaps in the 2010s.

roadfro

Quote from: cl94 on November 27, 2023, 11:44:05 PM
Quote from: US 89 on November 27, 2023, 11:33:09 PM

Yes. For a while, I-215 was the sole county-maintained Interstate. This is no longer the case due to maintenance swaps in the 2010s.

The section of I-215 between Warm Springs and Stephanie St didn't appear in NDOT's state-maintained highways book until the 2020 version, so that maintenance swap appears to have happened sometime in 2019.

RZF

I drove CC-215 from Summerlin to the airport this morning. The freeway has lots of lanes and has potential to be an Interstate beltway (and the heavy traffic for it too!), but the shoulders seem too narrow to make the transition to Interstate as is.

DenverBrian

Quote from: RZF on November 28, 2023, 09:35:39 PM
I drove CC-215 from Summerlin to the airport this morning. The freeway has lots of lanes and has potential to be an Interstate beltway (and the heavy traffic for it too!), but the shoulders seem too narrow to make the transition to Interstate as is.
Weird. I've never noticed an issue. In some cases there may be an 8-foot paved/black shoulder on the right, but it's immediately backed up by 6-8 feet of hardpack. So a car can get off the road pretty easily. Given what the feds allow in some urban areas, I'd see no obstacles at all to CC215 being signed as I-215.

cl94

CC 215 generally has 10-foot shoulders, which meet standards.

cl94

Back on the topic of I-11, NDOT posted on Facebook today that the Centennial Bowl will reach substantial completion next week. This is the last item along US 95 between I-15 and Exit 96 that required upgrades, as well as the last project required to bring CC 215 to Interstate standards. They teased that more information will be coming, but unknown what this will entail.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.