News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

September 2022 Central Pennsylvania Road Meet Is now set for 9/24/22

Started by jpi, July 11, 2021, 06:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here are the dates in April for this meet, I will be spending time in the area for other activities

April 16
3 (30%)
April 23
7 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: September 10, 2021, 10:26:06 AM

Alps

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on September 19, 2022, 12:17:50 AM
I'll be thinking of you from Oregon!

Well if you are on US 30 that day, there is at least some sort of commonality.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 19, 2022, 06:28:18 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 19, 2022, 12:17:50 AM
I'll be thinking of you from Oregon!

Well if you are on US 30 that day, there is at least some sort of commonality.
No, I'll just be heading straight up US 395. Sowwy.

jpi

Here is the final draft of the itinerary-

South Central York County Pennsylvania Road Meet Itinerary 9/24/22

We will depart from South County Brewery and get on I-83 at Leaders Heights exit and go south to exit 4 PA 851 Shrewsbury, we will get off and take 581 east through the diverging diamond interchange and turn around at Wolfe Rd ( there is an old gas station on the right) then go west on 851 back through the interchange and take 851 to Main St (Susquehanna Trail) and make a right, we will then follow the Susquehanna Trail north to Loganville and will make a drink\ restroom stop at the Rutters convenience store at the intersection with PA 214 on the north side of Loganville.

From Loganville Rutters we will go west on PA 214 for about 5 miles, the first mile of 214 is a newer alignment done back around 2007, this took traffic off an old alignment in Loganville which included a sharp turn from the trail on to PA 214 that big rigs could hardly do it. The new alignment is much nicer and more modern and goes through a newer development call Logans Reserve. We will follow PA 214 through Springfield Township and even past where my first childhood home was (it’s gone now) and will come to a fork in the road with Glatfelter’s Station Rd.

At Glatfelter’s Station Rd we will turn right on to it and follow it about a mile to the rail trail, there is a parking area and even an outhouse restroom. From there we will walk 1.8 miles to Howard Tunnel where we will check it out and get our group picture taken (again make sure you have good walking shoes\ sneakers) there is benches to sit every few yards if we need to stop and rest. The time for the round trip walk to the tunnel is around 90 minutes. The trail is level since it does follow an active rail line that is only used for excursion passenger trains and very little freight, but I do plan to talk about the history of this rail line including how the rain from Tropical Storm Agnes washed away a lot of bridges over the nearby Codorus Creek in June 1972 (6 months before I was born).

After seeing the tunnel, we will walk back to the Glatfelter’s Station parking area and if we have time and it’s not too late we can decide on a few other options, one is Indian Rock Dam which is roughly 3 miles from the tunnel, it is an earth dam built to control potential flooding on the west branch Codorus Creek. We can also go back over to I-83 and see the now finished after 7 years Mt Rose Ave interchange and as I mentioned before trace the Susquehanna Trail north from North York and Bus I-83 north to Lemoyne.

From there I will have to peal off to Hershey to get set up for my diecast toy show. So far, the weather is looking good, partly sunny and a high of 70 as of 5 days out. For those who need my # it is 615-519-3686. Also, I will only have rom for 1 person in my mini van and I do plan on driving so you all can follow me, the directions are pretty easy and I have the route marked on the map below (from Rutters and Sus.Trail to the parking area for the rail trail)

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

I'll be in a rental again because getting my car in my shop is much easier said than done these days so I have no issue taking people this time.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

I may end up driving myself and peeling off as well, depending on how likely it is that we'd be going up Susquehanna Trail to Lemoyne.  My hotel for the weekend is in Harrisburg, so that would save me an hour of riding back and driving back up.  The dam and the Mt. Rose Ave interchange both sound interesting.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Maybe I can incorporate some of the stuff that I wanted to show recently as part of a post-meet/pre-dinner tour.

jpi

I know it has been over a week since the meet, Steph and I got back to our home in middle TN fine last week, I want to say thank you to all who attended, we had around 15 people show up for the lunch part of the meet and a half dozen of us who made the 3 mile round trip walk to Howard Tunnel from Gladfelters station, my pics are posted on my Facebook page including the group photo at South County Brewery and a good selfie group pic that Mark Sinsabaugh posted. I am also getting an idea for another meet with a rail trail aspect to it for next year or 2024, this would take place in Lancaster County just across the Susquehanna River. 
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

Quote from: jpi on October 03, 2022, 09:35:43 AM
I know it has been over a week since the meet, Steph and I got back to our home in middle TN fine last week, I want to say thank you to all who attended, we had around 15 people show up for the lunch part of the meet and a half dozen of us who made the 3 mile round trip walk to Howard Tunnel from Gladfelters station, my pics are posted on my Facebook page including the group photo at South County Brewery and a good selfie group pic that Mark Sinsabaugh posted. I am also getting an idea for another meet with a rail trail aspect to it for next year or 2024, this would take place in Lancaster County just across the Susquehanna River. 

I really wish I knew when the US 30/US 222 interchange construction would begin right now.   :nod:

jpi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 03, 2022, 11:34:54 AM
Quote from: jpi on October 03, 2022, 09:35:43 AM

I really wish I knew when the US 30/US 222 interchange construction would begin right now.   :nod:

Not sure on that one either but it is MUCH needed, too bad we can't take a trip back in time to about early 80's so some you younger people can see what 30 looked like around Lancaster then, I remember is well and it was quite an adventure! I even got to drive it in my early days of driving in the early 90's
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.