News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on November 20, 2014, 01:37:53 PM
Quote from: cl94 on November 19, 2014, 04:08:21 PM
Quote from: route17fan on November 19, 2014, 04:00:55 PM
Just curious - does the University staff/faculty live on campus or no?

Heck no. A little under 1/4 lives within a couple miles, but many live within the areas most affected. I have professors who live an hour away and commute in. It got to the point where bus service was stopped, half of the food places are closed because they don't have the workers while those that remain open are short-staffed, travel bans are causing eateries in academic buildings to run out of food, and everything involving people from outside the University except the football game was cancelled.
Come to think of it, are there any plans in place to make sure people don't starve?  I'm sure many homes are running out of food if UB is!

None that I know of. UB actually closed today. Rumor is that Cuomo put pressure on them to do so. My apartment has enough to last me another week, but there's no way to get shipments in. SUNY requires local suppliers and all of them are in areas affected. I've heard that stores in the area are running low even though there's little snow up here (Tops distribution facility is buried under 6+ feet and in a travel ban, while Wegmans can't get stuff here because major roads are closed). Milk, eggs, bread, chips, dip, and beer are in short supply. Main milk facility in the region is in West Seneca under 7 feet. Even though many of us aren't dealing with the snow, we're all dealing with the effects, as most of Buffalo's industry is buried.

Quote from: Zeffy on November 20, 2014, 12:57:14 PM
I would think the Thruway should at least partially re-open during the weekend depending on the weather today and tomorrow.

Might open east of Buffalo, but southwest of here will be shit on until the warmup on Saturday. They still haven't gotten half of the vehicles free, it's still falling hard, and NY 5 and US 20 are blocked by stuck trucks trying to avoid the Thruway. To give you an idea, they haven't even set an end date for the driving bans because most highways aren't clear. My parents are on US 20 east of Buffalo. That barely has 2 lanes cleared. Thruway in Cheektowaga and West Seneca had ~1.5 in each direction this morning, but the snow moved back north.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

The Nature Boy

Isn't there going to be a flooding threat when all of this clears out?

Lake effect snow melts are a mystery to me but that HAS to be a threat.

cl94

Quote from: The Nature Boy on November 20, 2014, 02:36:42 PM

Yeah. 10 inches of snow is an inch of water. 7 feet of snow is 8.4 inches of water. Multiply that by the several hundred acres covered. That all has to drain. I expect water levels to rise by several feet. Much of West Seneca, Clarence, and south Buffalo will be underwater next week.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

The Nature Boy

cl94

Quote from: The Nature Boy on November 20, 2014, 03:23:33 PM
http://nesn.com/2014/11/report-jets-bills-likely-to-be-played-in-either-detroit-or-pittsburgh/

Looks like either Detroit or Pittsburgh are getting the game.

As I already have tickets, I'm going either way. I'd prefer Detroit as it's easier to get there if the Thruway isn't yet open, but I'd get to either city.

Zeffy

Quote from: cl94 on November 20, 2014, 03:42:37 PM
As I already have tickets, I'm going either way. I'd prefer Detroit as it's easier to get there if the Thruway isn't yet open, but I'd get to either city.

You might be in luck, because according to various tweets, Pittsburgh is out as well.

Quote from: cl94 on November 20, 2014, 02:55:05 PM
Yeah. 10 inches of snow is an inch of water. 7 feet of snow is 8.4 inches of water. Multiply that by the several hundred acres covered. That all has to drain. I expect water levels to rise by several feet. Much of West Seneca, Clarence, and south Buffalo will be underwater next week.

Um, wow. Buffalo is getting it rough this week. I bet several highways will close again (assuming they reopen) once the snow melts and floods the roadways.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

cl94

Quote from: Zeffy on November 20, 2014, 03:56:35 PM
Quote from: cl94 on November 20, 2014, 03:42:37 PM

You might be in luck, because according to various tweets, Pittsburgh is out as well.

Um, wow. Buffalo is getting it rough this week. I bet several highways will close again (assuming they reopen) once the snow melts and floods the roadways.

Most of the major roads are on high ground. What'll be submerged are some of the residential areas. NY 240 and 277 might will see some problems in West Seneca, US 62 might be closed near the Buffalo River, and NY 78 will almost certainly be closed in Depew (those underpasses flood several times a year from rain).

vdeane

Quote from: The Nature Boy on November 20, 2014, 02:00:22 PM
Would you recommend just taking the Southern Tier Expressway then?
If you're coming from the west.  Your location says North Carolina, which suggests the Catskills rather than Buffalo.  I-87 is totally fine.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Wow, I'd say we're long overdue for a topic split, but then we always seem to circle around back to the Thruway at the last second.  ;-)

And yes, flooding is now a serious concern, as temps are predicted to rise through the weekend and into next week, with some rain thrown in to boot.

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on November 20, 2014, 06:41:42 PM
Wow, I'd say we're long overdue for a topic split, but then we always seem to circle around back to the Thruway at the last second.  ;-)

I tried to throw everything non-Thruway in the New York thread, but others didn't feel the same

The Nature Boy

Quote from: vdeane on November 20, 2014, 05:15:23 PM
If you're coming from the west.  Your location says North Carolina, which suggests the Catskills rather than Buffalo.  I-87 is totally fine.

I'll be coming from the west so I'll need to figure out a way around the road closures/hazardous conditions. I'm in school, I just haven't updated my location.

empirestate

Quote from: The Nature Boy on November 20, 2014, 06:49:14 PM

I'll be coming from the west so I'll need to figure out a way around the road closures/hazardous conditions. I'm in school, I just haven't updated my location.

You should be fine on the Southern Tier; it is a nicer drive overall than I-80/I-84. You'll pass through snow, but it branches off well southwest of the crippled area.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: empirestate on November 20, 2014, 06:56:36 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on November 20, 2014, 06:49:14 PM

You should be fine on the Southern Tier; it is a nicer drive overall than I-80/I-84. You'll pass through snow, but it branches off well southwest of the crippled area.

Thanks. I've taken that drive before. It's absolutely beautiful (and much more scenic) than the Thruway.

02 Park Ave

Are there any plans forthcoming for a more direct connexion between the Thruway and the Mid-Hudson Bridge?

There are already almost direct connexions between the Thruway and both the Kingston-Rhinecliff and Rip Van Winkle Bridges.  I would think that there would be more traffic going over to Poughkeepsie.
C-o-H

cl94

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on November 20, 2014, 08:35:07 PM
Are there any plans forthcoming for a more direct connexion between the Thruway and the Mid-Hudson Bridge?

There are already almost direct connexions between the Thruway and both the Kingston-Rhinecliff and Rip Van Winkle Bridges.  I would think that there would be more traffic going over to Poughkeepsie.

No, but the connection is pretty direct as it is. Most vehicles to Poughkeepsie use the Taconic or US 9. Mid-Hudson Bridge has an AADT just under 40,000 as it is and, due to it being 3 narrow lanes, it can't handle much more traffic. Unless another bridge is built (not anytime soon), there's no reason to entice more people to use the bridge.

WNYroadgeek

Eh, Clarence shouldn't have any problems. Didn't get nearly as much snow as West Seneca and the rest of the southern suburbs did.

cl94

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on November 20, 2014, 10:07:25 PM

Eh, Clarence shouldn't have any problems. Didn't get nearly as much snow as West Seneca and the rest of the southern suburbs did.

Problem isn't the stuff in Clarence, but Tonawanda Creek. Upstream got hit and it all has to go somewhere. We all know how often that thing floods.

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times: Agency Cites Improper Loan Approval for New Tappan Zee Bridge

QuoteNew York State officials proceeded in almost furtive fashion – without sufficiently informing the public or holding enough open meetings – in approving a $511 million loan from federal clean-water funds for the construction of a new Tappan Zee Bridge, an investigation by an independent state budget office reported on Thursday.

QuoteThe federal Environmental Protection Agency ultimately rejected most of the loan request because it was going to be used for basic construction rather than cleaning water or helping the environment. Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo's administration regarded the loan as a crucial source of money for a project shepherded by the New York State Thruway Authority that is expected to cost $3.9 billion.

QuoteBut the report by the State Authorities Budget Office, a watchdog over public authorities and public benefit corporations created in 2009, found that the board of the Environmental Facilities Corporation did not exercise sufficient scrutiny of the loan.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Buffaboy

I've been in Utica and have missed this amazing weather even. Not an inch of snow here. I hope when I go back soon I can witness what I missed. The highest I've seen is 4 ft really, and I've lived in the southtowns forever.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

Thruway reopening at 3 PM, along with I-190, I-290, and US 219. NY 400 remains closed.

Exits 51-60 will be closed until further notice. I assume Exits 53 (I-190) and 55 (SB only, US 219) will be open, but cannot confirm.

vdeane

I looked at the traffic cameras on the Thruway earlier today.  Most of it looks pretty clear, so I wonder when they'll open it.  If they were willing to open in sections instead of all at once, it looks like I-390 to NY 33 could be opened now.  It would certainly help people to not starve.

Quote from: cl94 on November 21, 2014, 12:55:49 PM
Exits 51-60 will be closed until further notice. I assume Exits 53 (I-190) and 55 (SB only, US 219) will be open, but cannot confirm.
Seems pretty clear on that stretch.  When I was looking at the cameras, it appeared that more work was needed to clear snow around exit 52, Ripley, and a few random spots on the Erie ticket section.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on November 21, 2014, 01:00:55 PM
I looked at the traffic cameras on the Thruway earlier today.  Most of it looks pretty clear, so I wonder when they'll open it.  If they were willing to open in sections instead of all at once, it looks like I-390 to NY 33 could be opened now.  It would certainly help people to not starve.

Quote from: cl94 on November 21, 2014, 12:55:49 PM
Seems pretty clear on that stretch.  When I was looking at the cameras, it appeared that more work was needed to clear snow around exit 52, Ripley, and a few random spots on the Erie ticket section.

It's still snowing near the state line, so that's expected. Driving bans being lifted might actually allow Tops and Wegmans to restock their stores. It's pretty tense over here. I know on campus, one of the dining halls has little more than cereal because they couldn't restock and all 810 people in that complex had to stay in the building for 3 meals/day.

Jim

The way I heard the governor's statement, the Thruway from 51 to 61 will be open for through traffic and the onramps will be open, but no one will be allowed to exit in that stretch.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

roadman

Quote from: Jim on November 21, 2014, 01:55:29 PM
The way I heard the governor's statement, the Thruway from 51 to 61 will be open for through traffic and the onramps will be open, but no one will be allowed to exit in that stretch.
Correct.  From the Thruway web page:

QuoteNEW YORK STATE THRUWAY (I-90) TO REOPEN AT 3 PM FRIDAY - The New York State Thruway Authority has announced that the New York Thruway (I-90) in western New York from exits 46 - 61 including all service areas will reopen at 3 p.m. today.

The following restrictions will apply:
-Thruway (I-90) between exit 50A (Cleveland Drive) and exit 61 (Ripley — Pennsylvania state line) will be limited to essential travel only, including travel needed to exit the region, deliver necessary supplies, and remove snow. In this section, motorists will be allowed to enter the Thruway but will not be able to exit, with the exception of exit 53 (I-190), exit 54 (State Route 400) and exit 55 (US Route 219).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cl94

Thruway is open. East of I-290 is as usual. West of there, only exits 51, 53, 54, and 55 are open. One can get on at every entrance, but all other exits are restricted to commercial and emergency vehicles. I-190 is open, but exits 1-5 remain closed, as they are in the snowed-on area. US 219 is open. Traffic is high, recommended that non-essential traffic remain away.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.