News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on December 20, 2014, 04:45:08 PM
I agree that upstate is spoiled by cheap tolls. Grand Island bridges are $1 (people complained like the world was ending when they got that high) and the Harriman-Ripley segment costs only $21.50 cash, a mere 4.63 cents per mile for 464.7 miles. Compare that to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, where the longest distance (Ohio-Clarks Summit) costs $51.95 (~20 miles shorter for approximately 11.7 cents/mile) and the mainline is $43.90 for 356.68 miles at 12.3 cents/mile. Yeah, there are alternates to the Thruway, but they could probably charge 50-75% more and still see increased revenue because the truckers and long-distance travelers would still use the road.

Even with the full interstate not finished yet, I-86/NY 17 is a much better alternative. And who is going to use the PA Turnpike system from the Ohio state line to Clarks Summit, unless you're trying to clinch roads?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on December 20, 2014, 09:26:51 PM
Quote from: cl94 on December 20, 2014, 04:45:08 PM
I agree that upstate is spoiled by cheap tolls. Grand Island bridges are $1 (people complained like the world was ending when they got that high) and the Harriman-Ripley segment costs only $21.50 cash, a mere 4.63 cents per mile for 464.7 miles. Compare that to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, where the longest distance (Ohio-Clarks Summit) costs $51.95 (~20 miles shorter for approximately 11.7 cents/mile) and the mainline is $43.90 for 356.68 miles at 12.3 cents/mile. Yeah, there are alternates to the Thruway, but they could probably charge 50-75% more and still see increased revenue because the truckers and long-distance travelers would still use the road.

Even with the full interstate not finished yet, I-86/NY 17 is a much better alternative. And who is going to use the PA Turnpike system from the Ohio state line to Clarks Summit, unless you're trying to clinch roads?

Nobody would. Just as how nobody would use the entire length of the Thruway. Just makes calculations a little more reliable.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Basically, nobody travels the entire Thruway, so people upstate only really know the mainline ticket system.  I didn't know that barrier tolls even existed outside of bridges until I started looking at roadgeek websites.  If you're from Buffalo and Rochester heading to downstate, you take 17.  Actually, that's not true - you probably take Amtrak, because NYC and its suburbs are, in your mind, nothing but 24/7/365 gridlocked carmageddon.  Most Thruway travelers take small sections.  When I was little, I'd see 45-44 most often, 45-36 came in second, 47-50 was once in a blue moon.  I've been on the Erie section exactly once - a clinching trip that I still don't know how I got my parents to agree to.  East of I-81 was rare.  Before I started attending non-NY roadmeets in 2011, the only times I saw it were a family trip to Boston (B3), a school field trip to Cape Cod (ditto), and a school trip to West Point (17).  Now that I've moved to Albany, I see a lot more of the Thruway than I ever did before, with 24-43/45 being a relatively frequent drive.

I had a much longer post that covered different points, but Chrome ate it when I bumped the network cable.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

machias

Quote from: vdeane on December 21, 2014, 08:34:48 PM
Basically, nobody travels the entire Thruway, so people upstate only really know the mainline ticket system.  I didn't know that barrier tolls even existed outside of bridges until I started looking at roadgeek websites.  If you're from Buffalo and Rochester heading to downstate, you take 17.  Actually, that's not true - you probably take Amtrak, because NYC and its suburbs are, in your mind, nothing but 24/7/365 gridlocked carmageddon.  Most Thruway travelers take small sections.  When I was little, I'd see 45-44 most often, 45-36 came in second, 47-50 was once in a blue moon.  I've been on the Erie section exactly once - a clinching trip that I still don't know how I got my parents to agree to.  East of I-81 was rare.  Before I started attending non-NY roadmeets in 2011, the only times I saw it were a family trip to Boston (B3), a school field trip to Cape Cod (ditto), and a school trip to West Point (17).  Now that I've moved to Albany, I see a lot more of the Thruway than I ever did before, with 24-43/45 being a relatively frequent drive.

I had a much longer post that covered different points, but Chrome ate it when I bumped the network cable.

When I was a young lad and at college at SUNY Fredonia back in the mid 80s, several fellow students in my dorm were from Long Island and remarked on how long the Thruway was. I asked them why in the world they were traveling the length of the Thruway to get from Long Island to Fredonia (Thruway exit 59) and they basically didn't know. I guided several of them to Jamestown and then over NY 17 and they were quite thankful.

While I agree with Valerie that upstate folks tend not to drive the entire length of the Thruway, I have a hunch that, at least based on my experience, that downstate folks don't know anything but the Thruway for getting upstate. Back when NYS license plates identified the county of origin, it was easier to see who was driving long distances on the Thruway.

ARMOURERERIC

I dated someone from SUNY Fredonia they went there 1977-81

cl94

Eh, everyone I know from downstate at UB takes NY 17 or I-80. Now that everyone has GPS, the peoole with GPS use 80 (as that's how they get routed) instead of following the Thruway and those in the know take NY 17 (as they did before GPS). Before technology, the Thruway was the easiest way, but everyone just trust their phone or other device to route them the fastest way.

I will note that women traveling alone are much more likely to take the Thruway as it is better patrolled, while no man I know will waste the money on tolls.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

mtantillo

I-80 to I-380 to I-81 is typically faster than Thruway to NY 17, but many people choose Thruway to NY 17 just because it seems odd to drive from NYC to Upstate NY via such long distances in other states.

cl94

Quote from: mtantillo on December 22, 2014, 03:25:51 PM
I-80 to I-380 to I-81 is typically faster than Thruway to NY 17, but many people choose Thruway to NY 17 just because it seems odd to drive from NYC to Upstate NY via such long distances in other states.

With the traffic on I-80, it's usually no slower to take NY 17. Heck, the toll money you'd save by taking Tappan Zee or Bear Mountain would make up for any extra gas you'd use.

hbelkins

Quote from: mtantillo on December 22, 2014, 03:25:51 PM

I think I've mentioned this before, but my colleague from the two western Kentucky highway districts (Paducah and Madisonville) lives near Marion, Ky. If he's going to Frankfort, it's shorter for him to take I-64, I-164 I-69, US 41 and US 60 than it is to take the Western Kentucky Parkway. That, of course, involves a trip through southern Indiana. That route may be shorter, but it's not always faster because if he hits Louisville traffic, that can slow him down considerably.

He gets some funny looks from the bean counters if he goes through Indiana. They cannot comprehend that it might possibly shorter to get from one Kentucky point to another by going out of the state.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

New York Post: Thruway Authority executives forced out amid agency investigation

QuoteTwo top executives at the New York State Thruway Authority submitted their resignations Wednesday – ahead of a scathing investigative report on the agency's operations, sources said.

QuoteExecutive Director Tom Madison and his chief of staff, John Bryan, have been forced out, sources told The Post.

QuoteThe report by state Inspector General Catherine Leavy Scott is said to be damaging.

QuoteGov. Andrew Cuomo appointed Madison, a former state transportation commissioner, as the authority's executive director in August 2011.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

The Nature Boy

I somehow have managed to clinch the New York Thruway through a series of trips.

I clinched the I-90 portion (and obviously the Berkshire Extension) in my various trips from the Midwest to Boston

I clinched the I-87 portion driving from New York City to Vermont via Albany.

I clinched the Niagara Thruway (is that correct?) when I crossed into Niagara Falls, ON in route to Detroit from Boston.

I clinched the New England Thruway along I-95 from traveling from NC to Boston.

I used to hate damn Thruway but I've grown to have a weird love of it.

cl94

Quote from: The Nature Boy on January 05, 2015, 12:16:37 AM
I somehow have managed to clinch the New York Thruway through a series of trips.

I clinched the I-90 portion (and obviously the Berkshire Extension) in my various trips from the Midwest to Boston

I clinched the Niagara Thruway (is that correct?) when I crossed into Niagara Falls, ON in route to Detroit from Boston.

Did you get I-287? It's effectively become a toll-free section of the Thruway that's going nowhere anytime soon.

Buffaboy

I clinched I-87 when my parents didn't know about I-86 or I-86 about 10-15 years ago.

Then we've traveled on the Erie portion many times going to down south via Erie, Cleveland or Chicago. Would be much easier to head south of the 219 could be expedited, hence my avatar.

The rest of the 90 I've clinched going to W. Ma.

Then I've been on the Niagara Thriway countless times. What's your opinions on the toll removal that happened about a decade ago to them?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on January 05, 2015, 12:19:43 AM

Did you get I-287? It's effectively become a toll-free section of the Thruway that's going nowhere anytime soon.

And don't forget the Garden State Parkway connection!

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Buffaboy on January 05, 2015, 12:36:47 AM

I clinched I-87 when my parents didn't know about I-86 or I-86 about 10-15 years ago.

Then we've traveled on the Erie portion many times going to down south via Erie, Cleveland or Chicago. Would be much easier to head south of the 219 could be expedited, hence my avatar.

Then I've been on the Niagara Thriway countless times. What's your opinions on the toll removal that happened about a decade ago to them?

I've only been on it within the last couple of years so I have no opinion either way. I thought I remembered paying a toll but then again I'm probably just remembering the toll to cross into Canada.

And dammit, I need to go back and drive I-287 to get a full clinch of the Thruway. This is going to nag me until I get back up there.

route17fan

I found it interesting that going from Albany NY to Erie PA is a difference of only 10 miles (I-90 vs taking I-88 to I-86/NY 17) :)
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

vdeane

Quote from: The Nature Boy on January 05, 2015, 06:09:02 AM
Quote from: Buffaboy on January 05, 2015, 12:36:47 AM

I've only been on it within the last couple of years so I have no opinion either way. I thought I remembered paying a toll but then again I'm probably just remembering the toll to cross into Canada.

And dammit, I need to go back and drive I-287 to get a full clinch of the Thruway. This is going to nag me until I get back up there.
I-190 still has tolls at the Grand Island bridges.  The ones approaching downtown Buffalo were removed a few years ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

Is 84 still a non-Thruway-but-Thruway-maintained road?

cl94

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 05, 2015, 01:42:08 PM

No. Back to NYSDOT, but last I checked, it lacks reference markers.

cu2010

I-84 has reference markers in Dutchess County now.

Oddly enough, they say "I-84" on them, not the NYSDOT-standard "84I".
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 05, 2015, 01:42:08 PM
Not anymore.  The now-blank (where the Thruway logo was) mile markers along I-84 are an indication of such.  Note: this MM was MILE 69 prior to its faded/salted washout.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Quote from: cu2010 on January 05, 2015, 01:58:51 PM

Region 5 does this in a few places, notably on I-290, where they're either "I290" or plain "290"

machias

I think I-84 in New York State is the red-headed step cousin whether it's maintained by the Thruway or NYSDOT. The guide signs are erratically designed (mostly Thruway foolishness), the aforementioned I-84 reference markers in Dutchess County match nothing that is in any manual or documentation within NYSDOT and the basic condition of the row is substandard at best. I drove through there on New Year's Day and I can't believe that there are so many signs faded beyond comprehension along that road. It's like nobody wants it.

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on January 05, 2015, 08:29:03 PM

I think I-84 in New York State is the red-headed step cousin whether it's maintained by the Thruway or NYSDOT. The guide signs are erratically designed (mostly Thruway foolishness), the aforementioned I-84 reference markers in Dutchess County match nothing that is in any manual or documentation within NYSDOT and the basic condition of the row is substandard at best. I drove through there on New Year's Day and I can't believe that there are so many signs faded beyond comprehension along that road. It's like nobody wants it.

Problem is that we're just getting to the time when NYSDOT sign contracts for the highway could first be acted on. From what I can tell, they plan everything 5-10 years ahead of time. Partial maintenance was transferred 8 years ago and NYSDOT got full control in 2010. Signs probably would have been replaced faster if Orange County politicians didn't block the full transition in 2007, as NYSDOT didn't really do any "everyday" work until NYSTA was able to leave.

02 Park Ave

The Thruway is closed west of Rochester is closed due to "lake-effect" snowfall.
C-o-H

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.