News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Quote from: empirestate on May 07, 2015, 06:42:13 PM
commercial purpose of the vehicle, not necessarily its physical characteristics.

One reason I heard for the change  allowing passenger registrations on pickup trucks was that so many had become "family cars" with no business ties at all. Families were paying more to register a compact pickup than a heavier full-size car, and still being excluded from the LOSP on their weekend camping trips to Hamlin Beach, etc.

I think the Thruway charged by axle, so pickups and cars paid the same toll regardless of reg type, but I think you couldn't get a commuter permit on a pickup because of the commercial reg, even if it was your personal "car".

Sam

Quote from: Sam on March 30, 2015, 08:35:05 PM
Somewhere I once found a list of the official names of each segment of the Thruway system. In addition to the Niagara and Berkshire sections, there is a Mohawk Trail, Iroquois Path, etc. I'd love to be able to find that again.

Found it! Starts on page 5.

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/about/compliance/thruwaystatutes.pdf

vdeane

The Ontario section should be called "the boring section".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

Quote from: Sam on May 07, 2015, 08:16:17 PM
I think the Thruway charged by axle, so pickups and cars paid the same toll regardless of reg type, but I think you couldn't get a commuter permit on a pickup because of the commercial reg, even if it was your personal "car".

The Thruway still charges by axle. At least, a Uhaul van pays the same cash toll as a car at the New Rochelle toll plaza. This has been confirmed empirically.

MTA meanwhile charges double the car toll to cross one of their bridges in the same vehicle. And you have to pay the highly inflated cash rate since you can't use your EZpass tag in there (different vehicle class).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on May 07, 2015, 11:14:39 PM
MTA meanwhile charges double the car toll to cross one of their bridges in the same vehicle. And you have to pay the highly inflated cash rate since you can't use your EZpass tag in there (different vehicle class).
Who would know?

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on May 07, 2015, 11:39:43 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on May 07, 2015, 11:14:39 PM
Who would know?

Any one of the several cops walking around at every MTA toll plaza? I wasn't going to risk getting a ticket over $10 in toll money.

That said it looks like you can request a van tag on your existing account. In fact you can request a tag for any type of vehicle that doesn't require a CDL to drive without creating a separate account for it. Okay, good to know for next time.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Buffaboy

Went on the Thruway yesterday from exit 31 to 55, first time in a while. Here are some thoughts:

• I saw the scenic Heritage Park near Pt. Byron, but it's on the EB side
  • It may be just me, but I saw some bridges that looked "new", esp. near Syracuse. Have they been built in the past 6-8 months?
  • I also saw a few bridges torn down for replacement near Rochester, specifically Bergen Road (and I forgot the other)
  • West of Syracuse, for about 10-15 miles it's a concrete roadbed. Why is that?
  • There's construction going on at the Williamsville barrier and it's been holding up traffic for a while
  • Saw the cantilever tube pylon installed under the former Cleveland Dr. bridge, it looks very different for the Thruway
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

yanksfan6129

Quote from: Buffaboy on May 09, 2015, 12:41:02 AM
Went on the Thruway yesterday from exit 31 to 55, first time in a while. Here are some thoughts:

That section of Thruway was reconstructed around 2010 or 2011, if my memory serves.

cl94

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on May 09, 2015, 10:40:19 AM

That section of Thruway was reconstructed around 2010 or 2011, if my memory serves.

Correct
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on May 09, 2015, 11:30:21 AM

Correct

Do you think the monotube cantilevers will be the preferred type of gantry for the NYTA?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on May 09, 2015, 02:10:08 PM
Quote from: cl94 on May 09, 2015, 11:30:21 AM

Correct

Do you think the monotube cantilevers will be the preferred type of gantry for the NYTA?

Exit 50 is likely a test case, as I have not seen any more in plans at this time. It might be a one-and-done, might not. When I start my summer job, I might learn more about what's going on with that.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

route17fan

To quote many a New York roadgeek - I think the short answer to that is because it's consistently inconsistent.

Another example of that is NY 17/I-86 near Newtown Battlefield is new concrete as well. Another thread to be sure, but another example of random new surfacing.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

cl94

Quote from: route17fan on May 09, 2015, 09:56:20 PM

To quote many a New York roadgeek - I think the short answer to that is because it's consistently inconsistent.

Another example of that is NY 17/I-86 near Newtown Battlefield is new concrete as well. Another thread to be sure, but another example of random new surfacing.

That's concrete because the entire thing was realigned 4-5 years ago when they removed the at-grade intersections.

route17fan

understood - I was just pointing out that it was new (and very very smooth) concrete just like the thruway section.  :bigass:

route17fan

I guess, now that I think about it, is that a better example is that section between Rochester (45) and is it 43 (?) that also happens to be concrete...just because. :)   it also keeps it on topic.

cl94

Quote from: route17fan on May 09, 2015, 10:52:22 PM

I guess, now that I think about it, is that a better example is that section between Rochester (45) and is it 43 (?) that also happens to be concrete...just because. :)   it also keeps it on topic.

A really good example of that is a ~75 ft rough concrete section on the SB side of I-190/Niagara Spur between Exit 1 and I-90. Why it wasn't overlain with asphalt like the surrounding 1/2 mile or so remains a mystery to me. Reversing it, there's a ~0.9 mile asphalt section of I-190 in the middle of a 14 mile stretch of concrete surface just north of downtown Buffalo.

Then you have the reconstructed section of the mainline SW of Hamburg. The northern/eastern half of the EB side in this area is concrete with asphalt shoulders, while the rest of the project area, including the entire WB side, is asphalt.

At this point, I'm convinced NYSTA just picks surfacing material out of a hat, because there's no consistency, even within the same project.

route17fan

Excellent point - I forgot about 190   :nod:

froggie

I think a few people were missing /quote tags.  Hard to tell who wrote what...

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on May 10, 2015, 12:32:53 AM
A really good example of that is a ~75 ft rough concrete section on the SB side of I-190/Niagara Spur between Exit 1 and I-90. Why it wasn't overlain with asphalt like the surrounding 1/2 mile or so remains a mystery to me. Reversing it, there's a ~0.9 mile asphalt section of I-190 in the middle of a 14 mile stretch of concrete surface just north of downtown Buffalo.
I assume that's because those sections are located at the former Buffalo and Black Rock barriers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on May 10, 2015, 07:22:04 PM
I assume that's because those sections are located at the former Buffalo and Black Rock barriers.

Nope. The odd concrete section is under a bridge on the side opposite the barrier and the odd asphalt section is around Exit 8. Buffalo barrier was overlain and the Black Rock barrier got a new concrete roadbed.

Buffaboy

Quote from: route17fan on May 09, 2015, 10:52:22 PM

Then you have the reconstructed section of the mainline SW of Hamburg. The northern/eastern half of the EB side in this area is concrete with asphalt shoulders, while the rest of the project area, including the entire WB side, is asphalt.

At this point, I'm convinced NYSTA just picks surfacing material out of a hat, because there's no consistency, even within the same project.

There is concrete right outside of Hamburg? I'm guessing it goes to 57b. Must've been added within the past couple of years, because I remember the reconstruction was going on but I thought it was just going to be asphalt.

It really is "consistently inconsistent."

vdeane

The limits of a specific paving job and the type of project (simple resurfacing, major rehabilitation, full depth reconstruction) is determined largely by the surface crack rating and funding, as is the type of pavement to be selected.  After many decades of projects being done, it certainly can appear random, especially since projects spanning entire corridors are becoming more and more rare as NYSDOT and NYSTA are currently in "preservation mode".

vdeane

Just visited the canal park in Port Byron today...

More pics/full size on the bottom of my I-90 page: http://nysroads.com/photos.php?route=i90&state=NY

cl94

Alright, I've got the monotube shot:

As you can see, the Cleveland Drive overpass is gone (the assembly is immediately before where the overpass was/will be). Clearview, Interstate shield is Series C FHWA (thankfully...NYSTA has Clearview numerals a few exits down). Ramp splits away at the sign, so the sign is in error by not having upward-slanting arrows to the right and no mention is made of this being the last free exit, the latter of which was on the sign it replaced. Sorry for the bad picture, but I was driving and it was raining when I took it.

It might look like something straight out of Pennsylvania but, unfortunately, this is a good 70 miles from the PA border.

Buffaboy

Great picture, I saw it I think the day it went up actually; I was coming home from school a few weeks ago, but it was blocked by oncoming traffic and construction equipment preparing to tear down the bridge.

Also vdeane, can you actually drive through the heritage canal lock? That would be insane and definitely a must see when I go back.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.