News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Nature Boy

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 28, 2015, 07:33:24 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 28, 2015, 07:05:03 PM
It says Boston to stay on the Thruway, but coming into this interchange from the north on I-87 it says to use free I-90 to Boston.

Also the Mass Pike Shield is nice off to the side of the Thruway shield.
The free I-90 is the cheaper way. Some people don't know about this and take the more expensive route by staying on I-87.

I notice that states will always direct traffic onto the toll road, even when the free way is the best way.

See: Portland as a control city on I-95 at the I-295/95 junction in West Gardiner, Maine. Even though I-295 goes through downtown Portland.

cl94

Quote from: The Nature Boy on November 28, 2015, 08:34:37 PM
It says Boston to stay on the Thruway, but coming into this interchange from the north on I-87 it says to use free I-90 to Boston.

The free I-90 is the cheaper way. Some people don't know about this and take the more expensive route by staying on I-87.

I notice that states will always direct traffic onto the toll road, even when the free way is the best way.

See: Portland as a control city on I-95 at the I-295/95 junction in West Gardiner, Maine. Even though I-295 goes through downtown Portland.

No, it's called toll authorities encouraging traffic to use their highways. In most of these cases, the toll authority placed the signage.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

The Nature Boy

Quote from: cl94 on November 28, 2015, 08:38:04 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on November 28, 2015, 08:34:37 PM

No, it's called toll authorities encouraging traffic to use their highways. In most of these cases, the toll authority placed the signage.

Which I find problematic because the purpose of road signs is to navigate you to your destination, not to generate revenue for the people who put them there.

I understand the motivation.

roadman65

The KTA originally did not have "Kansas City" for I-35 north at Emporia  on the Kansas Turnpike until circa 2000.  I bet that must be a blow to their profits when they added "Kansas City" to the guide sign where I-35 leaves the Turnpike.

It still says "Kansas City" on the pull through signs though, but I am sure not many want to pay the toll and use the free I-35 to KC instead.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

machias

Quote from: dgolub on November 28, 2015, 08:33:57 PM

After you've already passed exit 21A telling you to get off there for the Berkshire Connector to Boston.

I'm pretty sure the original poster is referring to the Boston designation for I-90 EAST from I-87 SB before the 87/90 interchange.

I always found it interesting that as you drive by the Exit 24 ramp on the connector between I-90 EB and I-87 SB, you pass under signs that say "Boston" and then look to the left and can see "90 EAST Albany Boston" as overheads on I-90. 

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on November 27, 2015, 07:37:03 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 26, 2015, 08:12:46 PM
Technically it's only I-87 to the border and then becomes A-15 ;).

The Thruway isn't just a name that happens to be on part of the road.  It's its own system that I-87 just happens to overlap with for 148 miles.  The Thruway was there first.  In fact, many people along the Thruway don't even know I-90 and I-87 exist on it - it's just "the Thruway".  To someone from the Albany area, I-87 is ONLY the Northway, and I-90 is only the free section; we really do say things like "take I-87 until it ends, then take the exit for the Thruway" (and the road is pretty much signed that way).

I-90 has three sets of numbers as well: 61-24, 1-12, B1-B3.
I have heard someone in Glens Falls refer to it by number.  I used to think the Northway was called to it by name too until I heard a local say otherwise.

Yes between the NYS Thruway and Major Deegan, I would hear someone say if they were going NB, take the Major Deegan into the Thruway instead of saying I-87 or Route 87 north only.

Then again here if FL we have many who live in Tampa going to Miami say "Take I-75 southbound to Alligator Alley" instead of just saying "Take I-75 South."  In New Jersey my uncle lived in Linden, but worked in Secaucus, and took Route 1 & 9 North to Tonnelle Avenue to County Road to get to work.  Tonnelle Avenue, as most of us know, is part of Routes 1 & 9, but to non road geeks they call em as they see em, and most think Route 1 & 9 continues into NYC via The Holland Tunnel just like Route 3 is the route inside the Lincoln Tunnel because  NJ 495 is a continuous freeway  with NJ 3 at its east end.

It's like 128 in Mass.  Most of Tonnelle is part of 1-9, but most of 1-9 is not Tonnelle.  "Tonnelle Ave." refers to a specific part of the road.

roadman65

Its also like St. George Avenue being part of NJ 27, and NJ 35.  It amazing, though, how many think that NJ 27 ends in Rahway at the place it becomes St. George Avenue.  Then you have a friend of mine from High School who thinks that NJ 35 goes all the way up St. George where NJ 27 is assigned to it.

Of course, Elizabeth has to be the oddball out, as they call it Rahway Avenue, which I am sure a lot of people think its still St. George Avenue at that point.  Just like in Kissimmee, FL everyone thinks that Main Street is Orange Blossom Trail because it is connected to it.

In fact Old Dixie Highway in Orange County, FL was erroneously referred to as "Orange Avenue" for decades before both Orange and Osceola Counties renamed Old Dixie Highway to Orange Avenue to please the people who are ignorant which is most of the non road geeks when it comes to roads.

Sheryl Crowe

Buffaboy

Interesting conversation (but I am late to it and don't feel like joining in, because the whole Albany mess is like Breezewood in a way and it always hurts my head).

This is my favorite video of the Thruway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtEv8yozV7Y

Also, when did they pave asphalt over the concrete (if that's what they did, because a car was driving on just concrete at the end), and why/where?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

vdeane

Often that's done to extend the life of the pavement.  Overlaying the concrete with asphalt is like resurfacing.  I'd guess that a majority of freeway miles in NY (possibly even overall state route miles) are overlays.  Often time overlays have been widened too for wider travel lanes and shoulders, especially on surface streets.  Having a concrete roadbed that's barely a lane wide (dating back to the 1900s in many cases) with the rest being widened out with asphalt is not uncommon.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on November 30, 2015, 02:03:25 PM
Often that's done to extend the life of the pavement.  Overlaying the concrete with asphalt is like resurfacing.  I'd guess that a majority of freeway miles in NY (possibly even overall state route miles) are overlays.  Often time overlays have been widened too for wider travel lanes and shoulders, especially on surface streets.  Having a concrete roadbed that's barely a lane wide (dating back to the 1900s in many cases) with the rest being widened out with asphalt is not uncommon.

Correct. A significant majority of freeway mileage in New York consists of overlays, as does a majority of major arterial mileage. I can't readily find data to prove it, but judging by crack patterns and the NYSDOT highway inventory, the vast majority of state highway mileage is overlays, as is mileage of some major county routes. An overlay is a relatively cheap way to resurface the road, as the foundation is typically sound. Combined with mill-and-fill operations, the base concrete can often last several decades. A lot of New York's state highway mileage consists of overlays over concrete placed well before the Interstate system was begun.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Buffaboy

So this is just normal road construction I take it.

Does that mean that this will be resurfaced in the coming years as well?

Also where are these "composite" roads?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

ixnay

Nice video, Buffaboy, and nice jazz tune to go along with it.

ixnay

cl94

In FHWA terminology, composite, as defined at the bottom of my link, is the technical term for an overlay.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on November 30, 2015, 08:22:03 PM
In FHWA terminology, composite, as defined at the bottom of my link, is the technical term for an overlay.
I've seen "flexible" used for asphalt in some contexts. Really wish they could just use the actual name of the substance.

SignBridge

The term "flexible" pavement refers to asphalt paving. Concrete is known as "rigid" pavement.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on November 30, 2015, 09:30:45 PM
I've seen "flexible" used for asphalt in some contexts. Really wish they could just use the actual name of the substance.

There are types of flexible pavement that are not "standard" asphalt concrete. "Flexible" is used when they lump chipseal and stuff that isn't asphalt concrete into the same category as asphalt.

noelbotevera

Quote from: cl94 on November 30, 2015, 11:06:42 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 30, 2015, 09:30:45 PM

There are types of flexible pavement that are not "standard" asphalt concrete. "Flexible" is used when they lump chipseal and stuff that isn't asphalt concrete into the same category as asphalt.
So all they do is just shovel dirt, lay grass over it, whine to the FHWA saying it's flexible, then they say ok? Wow, looks like paving is way easier now.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

odditude

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 01, 2015, 01:42:36 AM
So all they do is just shovel dirt, lay grass over it, whine to the FHWA saying it's flexible, then they say ok? Wow, looks like paving is way easier now.
...where did that idea come from?

roadman65

...have no clue.  At least he is not that dzlabe character who was the talk of the town last week.  However, we have to expect this here.  Some of us come from different walks and some think differently than others especially when our community is made up of a lot of those who fit the developmentally challenged category.

I am not saying that he is, but expect the unexpected here like you have to driving the roads.

Sheryl Crowe

cl94

Quote from: odditude on December 01, 2015, 09:39:56 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on December 01, 2015, 01:42:36 AM
...where did that idea come from?

No. An unpaved or gravel road is not flexible pavement. A flexible pavement has to have a binding coat.

odditude

Quote from: roadman65 on December 01, 2015, 09:47:58 AM
especially when our community is made up of a lot of those who fit the developmentally challenged category.
...and where did that come from?

cl94

Quote from: odditude on December 01, 2015, 12:37:50 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 01, 2015, 09:47:58 AM
especially when our community is made up of a lot of those who fit the developmentally challenged category.
...and where did that come from?

The person who made the statement I think he's referring to is 11. Give him a break.

Rothman

Often that's done to extend the life of the pavement.  Overlaying the concrete with asphalt is like resurfacing. 

Like what they've done to NY 85 so far.  I've been wondering if the asphalt will kink where those old rotten concrete joints were.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on December 01, 2015, 02:31:37 PM
Often that's done to extend the life of the pavement.  Overlaying the concrete with asphalt is like resurfacing. 

Like what they've done to NY 85 so far.  I've been wondering if the asphalt will kink where those old rotten concrete joints were.

It will unless they rebuilt the bad joints. Always does.

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on December 01, 2015, 03:03:50 PM
Quote from: Rothman on December 01, 2015, 02:31:37 PM

It will unless they rebuilt the bad joints. Always does.

Yay.  I thought the original plan was to replace the concrete, which made a heckuva lot more sense to me than the overlay they've done...

...but I'm getting off the thread's topic.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.