News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffaboy

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 25, 2016, 09:04:27 AM
Quote from: Buffaboy on April 25, 2016, 01:46:33 AMI'm usually a vigilant driver and keep my eyes on my mirrors and U-Turns for Ford Crown Victorias and Mustangs.
Are highway patrols still even using Mustangs?  The last official Police-Packaged (as opposed to a retail model in police colors) Mustangs were the 1993 models.

I don't get pulled over often and try to avoid cops, but I feel like I've seen a couple over the past few years. I could be wrong through.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Snappyjack

The police cars in use right now by the State Police and most other agencies are a mix of the Ford Crown Victoria, Ford Taurus, Dodge Charger, Chevy Caprice, and Chevy Tahoe.

Henry

Quote from: Buffaboy on April 25, 2016, 01:46:33 AMI'm usually a vigilant driver and keep my eyes on my mirrors and U-Turns for Ford Crown Victorias and Mustangs.
Are highway patrols still even using Mustangs?  The last official Police-Packaged (as opposed to a retail model in police colors) Mustangs were the 1993 models.
Yes, they were sold as the Mustang SSP from 1982 to 1993. Originally, the CA Highway Patrol used Camaros, but they proved troublesome with their camshaft and engine issues.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PHLBOS

Quote from: Henry on April 25, 2016, 10:44:47 AM
Yes, they were sold as the Mustang SSP from 1982 to 1993. Originally, the CA Highway Patrol used Camaros, but they proved troublesome with their camshaft and engine issues.
The posted Wiki link article is missing some key information regarding why such vehicles were even considered and used as police vehicles (the CAFE-related downsizing that took place back then making big-block engines for large sedans no longer available) and why such vehicles ultimately fell out of favor (engine performance on large sedans improved to an acceptable level (among state police agencies) again).

Patrol vehicles like the Mustang and Camaro packages were, IMHO, basically used by departments as enclosed motorcycles.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Quote from: SignBridge on April 24, 2016, 09:16:47 PM
You're right about the eastern L.I.E. Roadman. Originally it was 65mph "out east" before the "double-nickel".  The road was designed for it and NYSDOT should restore it.
There was a bill in the legislature to raise the speed limit east of exit 40 to 65 about 15 years ago.  Too bad it never went anywhere.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on April 25, 2016, 12:56:42 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on April 24, 2016, 09:16:47 PM
You're right about the eastern L.I.E. Roadman. Originally it was 65mph "out east" before the "double-nickel".  The road was designed for it and NYSDOT should restore it.
There was a bill in the legislature to raise the speed limit east of exit 40 to 65 about 15 years ago.  Too bad it never went anywhere.

I could see why they might want to keep it at 55 MPH in Nassau, but they could raise it to 65 MPH in Suffolk, especially east of NY 112 where the exits get much more sparse.

Buffaboy

Sound barriers are going up east of Henry St south of Exit 52a. Is this in preparation for a potential widening?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on May 13, 2016, 05:24:49 PM
Sound barriers are going up east of Henry St south of Exit 52a. Is this in preparation for a potential widening?

It is in the long-term plans. As of last year, nobody at the MPO knew of anything that would happen in the near future other than a minor rearrangement at Exit 51, and they're the people who typically know that stuff.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cl94

Rest area on the WB side between Exits 28 and 29 opens tomorrow (press release). Might have to swing out there tomorrow afternoon to see for myself.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

vdeane

Looks like they pulled the press release.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on May 24, 2016, 01:01:34 PM

That was fast. They pulled it from Facebook as well.

Tuesday means plans day at NYSTA and today's release is huge. Widening to 9 lanes between Exits 50A and 51, with the extra lane in the EB direction. This will eliminate the merge at the cloverleaf that causes the only significant traffic issue unrelated to toll booths in the Buffalo area. Also in the contract is diamond grinding on I-190.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on May 24, 2016, 01:03:37 PM

That was fast. They pulled it from Facebook as well.

Tuesday means plans day at NYSTA and today's release is huge. Widening to 9 lanes between Exits 50A and 51, with the extra lane in the EB direction. This will eliminate the merge at the cloverleaf that causes the only significant traffic issue unrelated to toll booths in the Buffalo area. Also in the contract is diamond grinding on I-190.

Damn that's huge!

cl94

The new Rest Area west of Exit 28 was open this afternoon. I got a few pictures and will post when I have access to a computer. Within view are some hideous Clearview signs intended for boaters that I will post as well.

cl94

Sorry for the delay in posting pictures. The new rest area opened no later than Wednesday. 1 mile advance signage lists "Lock 13 Living History Rest Area" in all-caps Clearview. Gore signage is the standard "rest area" gore sign. I did not get a picture of either sign located on the Thruway due to traffic.

At the gore and midway down the ramp:

A couple exterior shots of the building. I did not get any interior shots, but I can tell you that, when entering under the "Taste NY" sign, there is a store area with restrooms in the back.

Pictures of the lock, dam, and informational signage:

And then there's that Clearview I was talking about:

I apologize for the relatively poor image quality. I am not the best photographer and all of these were taken on my phone, the first 2 while driving.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on May 28, 2016, 11:53:01 PM

When we were kids, we called these "bridges to nowhere". Unfortunately there was no easy way at the time to satisfy our curiosity as to what these structures were; this interpretive rest area might have helped.

And I didn't know any of them actually were proper bridges; which two carry roadways?

Jim

Quote from: empirestate on May 29, 2016, 09:57:02 AM
And I didn't know any of them actually were proper bridges; which two carry roadways?

NY 103 crosses over the Mohawk on the Lock 9 "bridge" between Rotterdam Junction and Glenville, and Lock 12 (I think that's the right number) carries a road between Fort Hunter and Tribes Hill.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on May 28, 2016, 11:53:01 PM
1 mile advance signage lists "Lock 13 Living History Rest Area" in all-caps Clearview. Gore signage is the standard "rest area" gore sign. I did not get a picture of either sign located on the Thruway due to traffic.
Fortunately, I do have pictures of the Thruway signs.  Unfortunately, they probably won't get uploaded until next Saturday with my next site update.

Rothman

I know why it was so quickly pulled and I suspect you may as well.

*smug*

:D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on June 08, 2016, 12:08:46 PM

*smug*

Oh? Do tell. I know the thing was open on the day.

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on June 08, 2016, 12:14:13 PM
Quote from: Rothman on June 08, 2016, 12:08:46 PM

*smug*

Oh? Do tell. I know the thing was open on the day.

As HAL 9000 said, "I'm sorry, Dave.  I'm afraid I can't do that."  It'll hit the news sooner or later.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

That reminds me... I took pictures of the advance signs over Memorial Day.

Buffaboy

What's going on with NY-400/I-190 in Buffalo? The backups are pretty bad and I can't seem to figure out what the work is.

You'd think they are building new interchanges.

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on July 16, 2016, 01:14:32 AM
What's going on with NY-400/I-190 in Buffalo? The backups are pretty bad and I can't seem to figure out what the work is.

You'd think they are building new interchanges.

400 is a bridge replacement.

Buffaboy

How can the backups at the Williamsville Toll barrier be mitigated?

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on July 18, 2016, 01:29:05 PM
How can the backups at the Williamsville Toll barrier be mitigated?

All-electronic tolling or people in Buffalo being less paranoid about government surveillance and getting E-ZPass. Dead serious. I've heard way too many people say they're afraid of Big Brother tracking them, as if license plate cameras and cell phones don't already do that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.