News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Driving 40 km/h on the 401 (with high beams on in the passing lane!)

Started by 7/8, December 08, 2017, 10:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

7/8

Oh boy...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/woman-accused-of-driving-60-km-h-under-speed-limit-on-ontario-highway-1.3711897

QuoteFRONT OF YONGE TOWNSHIP, Ont. -- Police say an Ottawa-area woman is facing charges for allegedly driving 60 km/h under the speed limit on Highway 401 in eastern Ontario.

Ontario Provincial Police say they received numerous calls Wednesday night about an eastbound car travelling at 40 km/h in Front of Yonge Township, about 25 kilometres west of Brockville.

They say the callers said the car was in the passing lane with its high beams on.

OPP made several attempts to get the driver to pull onto the right shoulder, but eventually had to make a tandem stop with cruisers at the front and rear of the vehicle to move it off the highway.

They say the driver told officers she believed the speed limit was 50 km/h.

A 47-year-old woman is charged with unnecessary slow driving, failing to obey signs and not having an insurance card.

SP Cook

Needs to happen a lot more often.  Obviously she should not be allowed to drive, probably some sort of mental issue.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: 7/8 on December 08, 2017, 10:58:46 AM
Oh boy...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/woman-accused-of-driving-60-km-h-under-speed-limit-on-ontario-highway-1.3711897

QuoteFRONT OF YONGE TOWNSHIP, Ont. -- Police say an Ottawa-area woman is facing charges for allegedly driving 60 km/h under the speed limit on Highway 401 in eastern Ontario.

Ontario Provincial Police say they received numerous calls Wednesday night about an eastbound car traveling at 40 km/h in Front of Yonge Township, about 25 kilometers west of Brockville.

They say the callers said the car was in the passing lane with its high beams on.

OPP made several attempts to get the driver to pull onto the right shoulder but eventually had to make a tandem stop with cruisers at the front and rear of the vehicle to move it off the highway.

They say the driver told officers she believed the speed limit was 50 km/h.

A 47-year-old woman is charged with unnecessary slow driving, failing to obey signs and not having an insurance card.

How do you think the speed limit is 50 km/h when the sign clearly states "Maximum 100"? And why were you in the passing lane going that slow?

Quote from: SP Cook on December 08, 2017, 11:02:09 AM
Needs to happen a lot more often.  Obviously, she should not be allowed to drive, probably some sort of mental issue.

Agreed and well said.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

SignGeek101

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 08, 2017, 11:17:47 AM
How do you think the speed limit is 50 km/h when the sign clearly states "Maximum 100"?

I could understand it more if it were the US and the sign said "SPEED LIMIT 60" and someone thought that meant 60 km/h (not that like that ever happens though).

Come to think of it, does Ontario even have a legal minimum? Like what is "unnecessary slow driving" as referenced in the article? I know Quebec is the only province in the country to post minimum signs on freeways.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 09, 2017, 01:00:05 AM
How do you think the speed limit is 50 km/h when the sign clearly states "Maximum 100"?

I could understand it more if it were the US and the sign said "SPEED LIMIT 60" and someone thought that meant 60 km/h (not that like that ever happens though).

Come to think of it, does Ontario even have a legal minimum? Like what is "unnecessary slow driving" as referenced in the article? I know Quebec is the only province in the country to post minimum signs on freeways.

To my knowledge, Onterio like most other states/provinces uses unnecessary slow when you are impeding the traffic flow and/or your slow driving creates a road hazard.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

7/8

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 09, 2017, 03:02:15 AM

To my knowledge, Onterio like most other states/provinces uses unnecessary slow when you are impeding the traffic flow and/or your slow driving creates a road hazard.

Exactly. Here's the section in the Highway Traffic Act:

Quote"132. (1) No motor vehicle shall be driven on a highway at such a slow rate of speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic thereon except when the slow rate of speed is necessary for safe operation having regard to all the circumstances. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 132 (1)."

I couldn't find any info on minimum speed limits in Ontario, so I'm guessing the above section is used to determine if someone is driving too slow.

cbeach40

Quote from: 7/8 on December 09, 2017, 09:31:58 AM

Quote"132. (1) No motor vehicle shall be driven on a highway at such a slow rate of speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic thereon except when the slow rate of speed is necessary for safe operation having regard to all the circumstances. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 132 (1)."

I couldn't find any info on minimum speed limits in Ontario, so I'm guessing the above section is used to determine if someone is driving too slow.

You really don't want to set minimum limits as speed should be adjusted to conditions. There are plenty of occasions where due to weather and road conditions the safe operating speed is well below the posted limit, and potentially below where a minimum speed would sit.
and waterrrrrrr!

SD Mapman

Quote from: cbeach40 on December 11, 2017, 08:50:54 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on December 09, 2017, 09:31:58 AM

You really don't want to set minimum limits as speed should be adjusted to conditions. There are plenty of occasions where due to weather and road conditions the safe operating speed is well below the posted limit, and potentially below where a minimum speed would sit.
Yeah, I've been in conditions where I had to drive 30 mph in a 80/40 mph zone because of blowing snow and darkness... and that was in the States so Canada probably gets worse in the winter.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

oscar

One other exception, which I had the misfortune to use this summer, is if you're slowed down by mechanical problems. Due to a bad fuel pump in my old pickup truck, I was stuck traveling at about 35mph on I-90 in Montana, for about 25 miles to limp into Bozeman where I was planning to stay overnight and also could put the truck in for repair the next day. Believe me, it sucked to be going less than half the posted 80mph speed limit! Fortunately traffic was light, so I just stayed in the right lane with my emergency flashers on, and faster traffic had no trouble passing me on the left.

Perhaps a more common situation, which I've also experienced, is if you have a blown tire, and have to use a space-saver "donut" spare which will get you to a tire shop but not at full freeway speeds.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kphoger

Quote from: oscar on December 11, 2017, 10:18:10 PM
One other exception, which I had the misfortune to use this summer, is if you're slowed down by mechanical problems. Due to a bad fuel pump in my old pickup truck, I was stuck traveling at about 35mph on I-90 in Montana, for about 25 miles to limp into Bozeman where I was planning to stay overnight and also could put the truck in for repair the next day. Believe me, it sucked to be going less than half the posted 80mph speed limit! Fortunately traffic was light, so I just stayed in the right lane with my emergency flashers on, and faster traffic had no trouble passing me on the left.

Perhaps a more common situation, which I've also experienced, is if you have a blown tire, and have to use a space-saver "donut" spare which will get you to a tire shop but not at full freeway speeds.

I've had to go far under the limit a couple of times.

Once was in a turbo diesel box truck on which the turbo hose kept blowing off.  I eventually managed (after flagging down my third helper that day) to get it tightened down enough to stay, but then I limped along at no more than 48 mph to a point where I could meet my mother-in-law (who was coming into town that day) at a truck stop and buy a new hose clamp.  That included 54 miles of I-64 in southern Illinois; I kept my hazards on, and I occasionally drove on the shoulder.

The other time was when the PCM went out in our old minivan.  I had slammed on my brakes on the Interstate for a truck while I was coming home from work, then I hammered down on the gas again to get back up to speed.  When I did so, the PCM fritzed out and stopped telling one bank of cylinders (2 out of 6 sparks) to fire.  I limped along at under 50 mph for a week or two until I could diagnose the problem and get it fixed.  Rush hour traffic at 15 mph under the flow of traffic is not fun.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.