News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Alex Trebek diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer

Started by LM117, March 06, 2019, 06:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

I wonder if he hears "A Time for Tony" in his sleep ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Takumi on November 08, 2020, 12:47:56 PM
The Guardian has reported that Alex has lost his battle. Sad news.
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/nov/08/alex-trebek-host-jeopardy-dies

Sad indeed. I wonder how many more episodes were shot before he died. It will be weird watching them. Also wondering who replaces him.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

LM117

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 08, 2020, 01:05:35 PM

Sad indeed. I wonder how many more episodes were shot before he died. It will be weird watching them. Also wondering who replaces him.

According to this article, there are no current plans to announce a new host. The last time Alex was in the studio was on Oct. 29.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alex-trebek-beloved-jeopardy-host-dies-after-cancer-battle-age-n990066
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

1995hoo

The report I heard on the radio said new episodes with him will air thru approximately Christmas.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 08, 2020, 03:29:22 PM

The report I heard on the radio said new episodes with him will air thru approximately Christmas.

Multiple sources on Fakebook say Christmas Day.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

On Philadelphia's 6ABC Action News Facebook Page, they posted a short video clip recorded a few weeks ago that was to be played during the annual Thanksgiving Day Celebration (rather than a parade this year). 

https://6abc.com/entertainment/alexs-last-message-for-the-delaware-valley/7772369/

LM117

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1 on November 23, 2020, 09:05:06 PM
Quote from: LM117 on November 23, 2020, 09:00:28 PM
Looks like Ken Jennings will be the first interim host.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/ken-jennings-will-be-first-interim-jeopardy-host-following-death-n1248722

Fun fact: Ken Jennings has made 7 posts on this forum.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=1285

Now that's what I call a fun fact. It would be amusing to see AARoads actually show up on a Jeopardy question.

Also, because I have not said so yet, Rest in Peace, Mr. Trebek.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

US71

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 24, 2020, 08:56:21 PM
Quote from: 1 on November 23, 2020, 09:05:06 PM
Quote from: LM117 on November 23, 2020, 09:00:28 PM
Looks like Ken Jennings will be the first interim host.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/ken-jennings-will-be-first-interim-jeopardy-host-following-death-n1248722

Fun fact: Ken Jennings has made 7 posts on this forum.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=1285

Now that's what I call a fun fact. It would be amusing to see AARoads actually show up on a Jeopardy question.

Also, because I have not said so yet, Rest in Peace, Mr. Trebek.

AARoads may offer a question (Route 66 related or something similar), but a direct reference I have my doubts.

LM117

US71

iowahighways

Quote from: US71 on November 26, 2020, 11:25:52 PM
I wonder if they will flash "pre-recorded" on the screen like Hollywood Squares did for Wally Cox and Charlie Weaver.?

On the episodes that have aired so far, they haven’t. But each episode has a dedication to Trebek at the end.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

michravera

Quote from: iowahighways on November 27, 2020, 11:14:02 AM
Quote from: US71 on November 26, 2020, 11:25:52 PM
I wonder if they will flash "pre-recorded" on the screen like Hollywood Squares did for Wally Cox and Charlie Weaver.?

On the episodes that have aired so far, they haven't. But each episode has a dedication to Trebek at the end.

I'm hoping that Brooke Burns, host of "Dog Eat Dog", "The Chase", and "Masterminds" will get the gig when all is said and done. When I saw Ken do a category, his delivery was what I thought was too slow for the pace or Jeopardy!. Anne Robins, British host, or Jane Lynch, the current host of "The Weakest Link" would both be good as well. Brooke, Anne, and Jane all can read clues fast enough and slow enough and can do interviews as well as explain rules of the game. Brooke and Anne have had the good experience of multi-lingual clues and I am sure that Jane could do so as well with a little advanced preparation.

wanderer2575

^^  It's about more than just reading the answers and explaining the rules.  Alex's will be difficult shoes to fill because he (I think uniquely) demonstrated two completely different personalities simultaneously:  He was a seemingly aloof, authoritarian master over the show, maybe even showing a little superiority in overpronouncing accents and foreign words.  But at the same time, he had genuine warmth, often cracking a joke with (not at) a contestant and putting him or her at ease, and he never belittled a contestant. 

I haven't seen the current iteration of The Weakest Link, but the host of the original behaved (by design) like a snot and I assume that quality has carried over.  Hardly the appropriate persona for what Jeopardy watchers are accustomed to.  Ken Jennings brings immediate recognition value but that won't count for much very long if he doesn't have the game show host skills.  And it really is a skill.

Scott5114

Quote from: michravera on November 27, 2020, 02:37:09 PM
When I saw Ken do a category, his delivery was what I thought was too slow for the pace or Jeopardy!.

One category is nowhere near enough to judge someone's hosting abilities. Finding the proper pacing and way of melding your personal style into the format is something that takes a few episodes at the very least. [ETA: Also, having looked up the relevant video on YouTube, he was standing in front of a green-screen in a series of prerecorded videos for those. They're not going to reflect a more natural delivery inherent to "doing it live", so to speak.]

Hell, it took Drew Carey two seasons (or more, according to your taste) to shed the new-host awkwardness when he took over The Price Is Right. Part of that is because hosting TPIR is a few orders of magnitude more complex than Jeopardy! (and requires instant-recall of the rules of 75 different mini-games, some of which show up once every few months or so, whereas J! is the same thing every day), but I don't think judging someone's performance by one category is remotely close to fair.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

michravera

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 27, 2020, 06:05:56 PM
Quote from: michravera on November 27, 2020, 02:37:09 PM
When I saw Ken do a category, his delivery was what I thought was too slow for the pace or Jeopardy!.

One category is nowhere near enough to judge someone's hosting abilities. Finding the proper pacing and way of melding your personal style into the format is something that takes a few episodes at the very least. [ETA: Also, having looked up the relevant video on YouTube, he was standing in front of a green-screen in a series of prerecorded videos for those. They're not going to reflect a more natural delivery inherent to "doing it live", so to speak.]

Hell, it took Drew Carey two seasons (or more, according to your taste) to shed the new-host awkwardness when he took over The Price Is Right. Part of that is because hosting TPIR is a few orders of magnitude more complex than Jeopardy! (and requires instant-recall of the rules of 75 different mini-games, some of which show up once every few months or so, whereas J! is the same thing every day), but I don't think judging someone's performance by one category is remotely close to fair.

I agree about the fairness of being judged by one category, but it's all that has aired. On the other hand, Brooke and Anne both have at least 10 years of experience and Jane has shown her abilities on 5 or 6 shows. I'd rather go with proven ability than stardom.

In broadcasting American Football, you go for the sportscaster first and the Football player or coach second. Of course, it's best to have someone (or a pair) who is both. But, sportscasters can do football with some preparation a lot better than football players can do sportscasting.

... and so, I would rather have a trivia gameshow host above a trivia legend who tries to host a trivia show. For that matter, I'd rather have the trivia host from Lily Macs in Sunnyvale (he's great, but I am sure that MGE can do better) than Ken Jennings.

In_Correct

Ken Jennings:

It is impressive that Ken Jennings is a member of AARoads, and that he won game shows including Jeopardy!, but I have other people I wish to see as host.

Anne Robinson:

Well of course she is a snot on the prime time version of The Weakest Link. It helped make it remarkable. What I did not like to see is the silly "Reality" interviews of The Weakest Links. ... such as the guy that said he would get hurt now that he lost. ... W.T.F.

Even more impressive about Anne Robinson's personality is that she resembles Judge Judy Sheindlin but Anne is not as extreme. I often fantasize about similar celebrities / personalities wondering how they feel about each other.

John O'Hurley:

Remembering the energy that Art Fleming had, particularly in The All New Jeopardy! (which that article did not even mention, despite being an N.B.C. programme at the time) John O'Hurley can easily represent both of the Jeopardy! hosts.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

vdeane

Quote from: In_Correct on November 28, 2020, 12:13:28 AM
What I did not like to see is the silly "Reality" interviews of The Weakest Links. ... such as the guy that said he would get hurt now that he lost. ... W.T.F.
Maybe the guy thought he was playing the Doctor Who version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saWmQ1-dz64
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rickmastfan67

Ken Jennings or Levar Burton would be my top 2 picks at the moment for Alex's replacement.  I personally wouldn't want somebody else that hosted another game show full time to be a replacement, as that would possibly bring too much baggage.

In_Correct

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 28, 2020, 11:22:08 PM
Ken Jennings or Levar Burton would be my top 2 picks at the moment for Alex's replacement.  I personally wouldn't want somebody else that hosted another game show full time to be a replacement, as that would possibly bring too much baggage.

Levar Burton would be another great choice. ... Does Omarosa count as a full time game show host? and why not choose a former game show host?? Would the fans hate them???

Another possibility I wish them to have is if they could bring back multiple versions of the game show ... such as the Syndicated version, a Prime Time version, and a Network Day Time version for example ... each with a different host to see how well they like it.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.