News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Alex Trebek diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer

Started by LM117, March 06, 2019, 06:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: In_Correct on November 30, 2020, 02:57:01 PM
and why not choose a former game show host?? Would the fans hate them???

The problem I can see is that Jeopardy! is a format from the 1960s that was revived in the 1980s, and functions like a game show of that era–that is, there are enough actual game mechanics going on to fill the whole episode, and the host's job is to facilitate the contestants' interactions with the game mechanics. The only fluff not having to do with the game is the contestant interviews at the start of Act 2.

Contrast this with the modern, post Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? style of game show, where you have about one fourth of the episode doing actual gameplay and the rest sitting around a dramatically-lit set trying to build tense moments. A host of that era of game show would do pretty poorly with Jeopardy!, because they require vastly different skill sets, so you'd basically be having to train someone from the ground up anyway. At that point you might as well just go with someone with good diction and no game show experience, like LeVar Burton.

The only game show hosts with any relevant experience are dead, retired–Wink Martindale is an excellent example of the game show host archetype of this era but is 86 years old–or hosting one of the few legacy formats still on the air: Pat Sajak of course, Drew Carey, and Wayne Brady. I wouldn't consider Family Feud adequate hosting experience for Jeopardy! because, as it was originally created as a vehicle for Richard Dawson, it's one of the weakest of all the Goodson-Todman formats, and is far more host-dependent than J! is.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

I think the issue with just staying with people that have already hosted game shows is that you'll eventually run out of people that have just hosted game shows. 

Along with Ken, I think a good, all around news person actually would be a good fit. They tend to have a steady, serious demeanor that would continue the approach Trebek had to hosting. The biggest issue with that, especially today, would be people have a tendency to play the politics card simply because of the network that person was on.

In referencing Drew Carey, I'm not sure I like him as host of TPIR, even after all these years. Although in fairness, maybe what I actually don't like is how the game show changed audiences, from an older aged audience to a younger aged audience, even though the show never did a single thing on their own that caused this to occur.

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 30, 2020, 04:14:33 PM

The problem I can see is that Jeopardy! is a format from the 1960s that was revived in the 1980s, and functions like a game show of that era–that is, there are enough actual game mechanics going on to fill the whole episode, and the host's job is to facilitate the contestants' interactions with the game mechanics. The only fluff not having to do with the game is the contestant interviews at the start of Act 2.

Contrast this with the modern, post Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? style of game show, where you have about one fourth of the episode doing actual gameplay and the rest sitting around a dramatically-lit set trying to build tense moments. A host of that era of game show would do pretty poorly with Jeopardy!, because they require vastly different skill sets, so you'd basically be having to train someone from the ground up anyway. At that point you might as well just go with someone with good diction and no game show experience, like LeVar Burton.

The only game show hosts with any relevant experience are dead, retired–Wink Martindale is an excellent example of the game show host archetype of this era but is 86 years old–or hosting one of the few legacy formats still on the air: Pat Sajak of course, Drew Carey, and Wayne Brady. I wouldn't consider Family Feud adequate hosting experience for Jeopardy! because, as it was originally created as a vehicle for Richard Dawson, it's one of the weakest of all the Goodson-Todman formats, and is far more host-dependent than J! is.

There's Peter Marshall, but he's 94.

It's almost like good game hosts are from another generation.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

brad2971

Quote from: US71 on November 30, 2020, 05:42:25 PM

Alfonso Ribeiro would be an underrated Jeopardy! host.

In_Correct

About Family Feud:

Perhaps, but the Fast Money round requires them to read it quickly.

About From Another Generation:

Bob Eubanks is 82 - 83.

David Ruprecht just turned 72.

Ross Shafer turns 66 next week.

Chuck Woolery is 79 - 80.

Tom Kennedy died one month before Alex Trebek.

About Broadcasters:

Gordon Elliott just turned 64. Unlikely to return as a game show host and instead be came a producer for day time talk shows.

Kevin O'Connell just turned 72. He seems to be retired, and was a game show host for only a few weeks. He spent most of his time as a Meteorologist.

Lynn Swann is 68 - 69. ... This host is interesting as he paneled and later hosted To Tell The Truth with Alex Trebek taking over.

Robin Ward is 76 - 77 ... a Canadian. and a Meteorologist.

Using Journalists, Meteorologists, and Sportscasters as game show hosts has been done several times.

About The Price Is Right:

Rich Fields is also a Meteorologist.

In defense of Drew Carey, he resembles Bill Cullen, but this is a coincidence.

About Fluff In Game Shows:

Not every classic game show is filled with Questions And Answers. Or even Panels. Truth Or Consequences is one. Beat The Clock is another. Another very good example is: Treasure Hunt.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

michravera

Quote from: brad2971 on November 30, 2020, 05:53:38 PM
Quote from: US71 on November 30, 2020, 05:42:25 PM

Alfonso Ribeiro would be an underrated Jeopardy! host.

I missed Alfonso Ribeiro as a possible host. He has hosted a "lockout" format game show also, "Catch 21" and was great at it. In my opinion, "slow solo game" and "take turns" format game show hosts need not apply.  "The Weakest Link" is a "fast solo" format. "MasterMinds" is a "lockout" format. So is part of "The Chase" and so was "Dog Eat Dog". Small parts of "Family Feud" and "Wheel" are lockout also. However, "Wheel" doesn't require questions to be asked during the lockout.

golden eagle

Someone mentioned Jane Lynch as a possible replacement. Not a bad idea. Though she has a daily show of her own, how about Ellen Degeneres?

I'm not expecting Pat Sajak to die or retire anytime soon, but who would be a good replacement for him on Wheel of Fortune? Would Vanna White stay or leave when Pat's gone?

US71

Quote from: golden eagle on December 03, 2020, 09:50:05 PM
Someone mentioned Jane Lynch as a possible replacement. Not a bad idea. Though she has a daily show of her own, how about Ellen Degeneres?

I'm not expecting Pat Sajak to die or retire anytime soon, but who would be a good replacement for him on Wheel of Fortune? Would Vanna White stay or leave when Pat's gone?

Ellen is a bit controversial.

NWI_Irish96

It's really important for Jeopardy to get this right the first time and not end up with a series of hosts that leave or get pushed out after a year or two.

There is an opportunity to expand the audience, so the new host should be younger, and if it's a person of color and/or a woman that will help as well.

If Jane Lynch were younger she'd be the perfect fit. Her harsh persona from Glee and Weakest Link wouldn't play on Jeopardy but that's just a shtick and she could easily leave that behind. At 60, I don't know if she would want to take on something this big.

Ellen would be great at the job but realistically it would be a step down from the brand she's built up around her current shows so I can't imagine she would be interested.

Alfonso Ribeiro is the best idea I've heard so far. Previous experience, not tied down to anything huge right now, under 50.

An off-the-wall idea would be Mike Golic. Just ended his 20 year morning radio run and definitely has the personality for it. Not sure if he has enough name recognition outside the sports world though.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

brad2971

Quote from: US71 on December 03, 2020, 09:54:50 PM

In this day and age, Ellen is no more controversial than Pat Sajak is. Speaking of Pat, his name and persona (along with Vanna White's) is much more tied to "Wheel of Fortune" than Alex Trebek was to Jeopardy! The TV business would likely have to let "Wheel of Fortune" die for a few years after Pat and Vanna leave the show together before Game Show Network tries to revive it on their app (we're about two years away from live/ondemand streaming video becoming majority TV viewing, so best to start thinking apps as opposed to cable/broadcast channels for new talent).

In_Correct

I agree about Ellen not being a good host for Jeopardy! also Jane. ... and  Alfonso Ribeiro is not ideal either.

Levar Burton, Lynn Swann, Omarosa, and perhaps Baron James would be good.

Mike Golic is not Off The Wall. He would be a good host as well. He reminds me of John O'Hurley and Tim Ryan.

If Pat Sajak is ever replaced: just replace him with Chuck Woolery. Pat Sajak is just as controversial, ... there is one episode from the early 21st Century where he could not handle an excited contestant. While the contestant was not disqualified, Pat seemed to call the police on him. Vanna would probably stay, just like Kelly Ripa.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

US71

Quote from: In_Correct on December 04, 2020, 05:54:31 PM

I agree about Ellen not being a good host for Jeopardy! also Jane. ... and  Alfonso Ribeiro is not ideal either.

Levar Burton, Lynn Swann, Omarosa, and perhaps Baron James would be good.

Mike Golic is not Off The Wall. He would be a good host as well. He reminds me of John O'Hurley and Tim Ryan.

If Pat Sajak is ever replaced: just replace him with Chuck Woolery. Pat Sajak is just as controversial, ... there is one episode from the early 21st Century where he could not handle an excited contestant. While the contestant was not disqualified, Pat seemed to call the police on him. Vanna would probably stay, just like Kelly Ripa.

Woolery is 79...probably not a good fit for Wheel. Then again, Sajak is 74

Scott5114

Quote from: brad2971 on December 04, 2020, 07:42:39 AM
In this day and age, Ellen is no more controversial than Pat Sajak is.

Ellen is controversial, not because of her orientation (because, as you note, it's 2020 and who cares), but because it's come out how much of a douche she is to her staff.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Big John

Quote from: In_Correct on December 04, 2020, 05:54:31 PM

Woolery was the emcee of Wheel of Fortune in the 1970s

In_Correct

Another good host would be Bob Bergen.

If Pat and even Vanna were to leave Wheel Of Fortune, perhaps David Sidoni and Tanika Ray.

I-39

Quote from: In_Correct on December 05, 2020, 05:54:02 AMIf Pat and even Vanna were to leave Wheel Of Fortune, perhaps David Sidoni and Tanika Ray.

Pat and Vanna will never leave WOF. They are arguably even more iconic and it will never be the same once their gone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.