News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Should Las Vegas switch to Mountain Time and drop DST?

Started by Pink Jazz, January 09, 2015, 11:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US81

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 07, 2015, 05:59:04 PM
Quote from: swbrotha100 on March 07, 2015, 05:06:56 PM
Don't more clocks reset automatically these days?

I know on computers and phones they do, but many people still use watches that don't reset automatically.

A lot of the "automatic" updates still have glitches. I have worked many time changes and seen the time change on, say, my cell phone network, not occur until an hour and and half after the time change officially occurred. [Meaning the phone continues to display (C)ST until 3:20 at which time the display jumps ahead one hour to (C)DT.] It's also pretty common to see a shift of two hours that doesn't get resolved until 4 or 5am. Sometimes I've seen display "fast-forward" like a stopwatch one hour - or twenty-three hours. Usually it's correct by 0530 or 0600...

We old fogeys tell the kids to wear a watch on the time-change nights.

Laura

Stupid electricity. We wouldn't need to worry about DST if it didn't exist because then we'd easily be up at 4 am in the summer. Whenever I go backpacking, my body eventually resets back to its natural rhythm: falling asleep a couple hours after sunset, waking up partway through the night, going back to sleep, then waking up with the sun feeling completely refreshed.

As for the comments a while back regarding kids getting up early...all of my female friends who work and have children get them up insanely early to get them dressed, fed, and to day care. Why bother making high school kids wake up early when the babies, toddlers, and elementary ones have to get up early anyway?

02 Park Ave

There are a number of older devices which were programmed when DST started on the last Sunday in March which will not adjust automatically tonight.  I have an astronomical timer for my post light which is one of them.  I'll just wait for it adjust in two weeks.
C-o-H

Pink Jazz

Quote from: US81 on March 07, 2015, 06:57:34 PM

A lot of the "automatic" updates still have glitches. I have worked many time changes and seen the time change on, say, my cell phone network, not occur until an hour and and half after the time change officially occurred. [Meaning the phone continues to display (C)ST until 3:20 at which time the display jumps ahead one hour to (C)DT.] It's also pretty common to see a shift of two hours that doesn't get resolved until 4 or 5am. Sometimes I've seen display "fast-forward" like a stopwatch one hour - or twenty-three hours. Usually it's correct by 0530 or 0600...

We old fogeys tell the kids to wear a watch on the time-change nights.

Good point.  I live in Arizona and the clock my phone incorrectly sprung forward one hour.

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 07, 2015, 10:46:22 PM
There are a number of older devices which were programmed when DST started on the last Sunday in March which will not adjust automatically tonight.  I have an astronomical timer for my post light which is one of them.  I'll just wait for it adjust in two weeks.

Last Sunday in March is the European standard.  In the United States it was previously first Sunday in April.

english si

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 08, 2015, 11:41:32 AMGood point.  I live in Arizona and the clock my phone incorrectly sprung forward one hour.
Surely there's a specific Arizona time zone to set it to that doesn't do DST? Or, better, some sort of GPS system that works out the local time where you are

Pink Jazz

Quote from: english si on March 08, 2015, 12:04:00 PM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 08, 2015, 11:41:32 AMGood point.  I live in Arizona and the clock my phone incorrectly sprung forward one hour.
Surely there's a specific Arizona time zone to set it to that doesn't do DST? Or, better, some sort of GPS system that works out the local time where you are

My phone syncs with the network time.  Apparently AT&T accidentally set their clock forward at the nearest tower.  The issue has since been corrected.

Duke87

Quote from: Laura on March 07, 2015, 08:25:01 PM
As for the comments a while back regarding kids getting up early...all of my female friends who work and have children get them up insanely early to get them dressed, fed, and to day care. Why bother making high school kids wake up early when the babies, toddlers, and elementary ones have to get up early anyway?

Because high schoolers are better capable of taking care of themselves than elementary schoolers and therefore in households where both parents work (or the only parent works) you want the high schoolers to get home first because otherwise it fits better with the parents' schedules.

Yeah, this doesn't help in the argument of "stupid modern life messing us up", but there you go.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kkt

Quote from: Duke87 on March 08, 2015, 11:59:23 PM
Quote from: Laura on March 07, 2015, 08:25:01 PM

Because high schoolers are better capable of taking care of themselves than elementary schoolers and therefore in households where both parents work (or the only parent works) you want the high schoolers to get home first because otherwise it fits better with the parents' schedules.

Yeah, this doesn't help in the argument of "stupid modern life messing us up", but there you go.

Also, high schoolers may have after school jobs, or be in sports teams or other activities with 2+ hours of practice after school.  One could argue that neither of those is as important as being awake for the first couple of hours of class, but they are very important to some people.

Crazy Volvo Guy

I'd certainly not mind getting to see the sunrise without having to wake up in the late wee hours.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Crazy Volvo Guy

And with efficient LED lighting now a thing, there's no reason why golf courses couldn't be illuminated for 24-hour play, nor any reason street lighting couldn't be vastly expanded
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.