News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Songs that single out another artist

Started by roadman65, March 03, 2015, 04:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: bulldog1979 on March 06, 2015, 10:59:18 PM
In fact, she told Rolling Stone that David Geffen is not the subject of the song 5 years ago.

I went by this Daily Mail article from five years ago:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1253964/Carly-Simon-finally-reveals-subject-Youre-So-Vain--record-producer-David-Geffen.html

Here is the Rolling Stone article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/carly-simon-refutes-theory-that-so-vain-target-is-david-geffen-20100301

I stand corrected. It seems like it was a "David", but simply not Geffen.  That said, since it's most probably not Geffen, then the song is an even better fit for this thread!

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on March 03, 2015, 03:29:16 PM
Quote from: Alps on March 03, 2015, 07:38:51 AM
First of all, Lynyrd Skynyrd had great respect for Neil Young. The lyric was not intended to be taken literally, and any misunderstanding was patched over within months.

There's one song several of us here are very familiar with that calls out another artist: "Ho" by "Ludacris." I'll add "Two Steps Back" from Saliva, calling out the Dixie Chicks.

Yes the Skynyrd Live album did clarify that as Ronnie Van Zandt did make a statement in the live version " There's good people in Alabama, and Mr. Young knows that."

I guess the words single out was a bit harsh to describe my meaning of songs that mention other artists other than tributes.
And don't forget lyrnrd skynrd are from Jacksonville, Florida not Alabama

allniter89

I'm showing my age here, from my favorite period of music (1960s-1970s).  Creeque (Creaky) Alley http://www.lipscomb.umn.edu/rock/creeque_alley_lyrics.htm from the MaMa's & PaPa's mentions many other musicians, John Sebastian & Zal Yanovsky from The Lovin Spoonful, Roger McGuin from The Byrds, Barry McGuire who sang "Eve of Destruction", Scott McKenzie who sang "San Fransisco" ("Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair").
A wonderful groovy time to be young! puff puff pass  :cool: ;-) :nod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVTC7Vggd2M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5bUmx-hk-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ_WG3d3GL8

BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

bugo

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 06, 2015, 04:52:42 PM
Mike Watt's "Drove Up From Pedro" states:

"What The Germs did at that gig
Made him do what he finally did"

But we get no explanation of what The Germs did.  It led the Pedro (San Pedro, Cal.) dude in the song to "fit the thunderbroom to the thundertune" and "[stuff] the thing in the hole," so draw your own conclusions.

I met Mike Watt at Lollapalloza 1995 in Dallas.

iowahighways

Quote from: formulanone on March 04, 2015, 04:34:57 PM
Quote from: spooky on March 04, 2015, 01:58:25 PM
I don't think any of Weird Al's parodies could be considered or were ever intended to be a slap at the original artist.

Supposedly, he asks the artist or their record label before releasing the work.

Prince has never allowed Weird Al to parody any of his songs. Weird Al took a jab at him in "Word Crimes", his parody of "Blurred Lines" from his latest album Mandatory Fun:

"You should never
Write words using numbers
Unless you're seven
Or your name is Prince."
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bugo on March 07, 2015, 08:58:53 AM

But we get no explanation of what The Germs did.  It led the Pedro (San Pedro, Cal.) dude in the song to "fit the thunderbroom to the thundertune" and "[stuff] the thing in the hole," so draw your own conclusions.

Does he use all those made-up words of his when speaking, too?

bugo

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 07, 2015, 02:37:01 PM

No, we just talked about his bass.

hbelkins

There's a song called "Paul Stanley" that sounds very much like it could be one of his Kiss tunes, or something off his 1978 solo album. I can't recall for sure the band who did it, but I think it might be The Hellacopters.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mrsman

Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats" has the following line:

"Right now, she's probably up singing some
white-trash version of Shania karaoke."

referring to Shania Twain.

KG909

Eminem - Won't Back Down
This song references Chris Brown and Rihanna in one line "I'ma hit you broads with
Chris's force like you pissed him off"
The Game - Where I'm From
Just references
"I'mma B-L-double-O-D
Been on songs with S-N-double-O-P
Inside a Ferrari with the D-R-E
Run up I let it sing like Nate D-O-double-G"
Eminem - Las Vegas
It references and disses many.
~Fuccboi

SidS1045

"When Smokey Sings," by ABC.

"Glass Onion" by the Beatles is, of course, self-referential:  "I told you 'bout Strawberry Fields, you know the place where nothing is real...And here's another clue for you all:  The walrus was Paul."
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

lepidopteran

The Motown Song by Rod Stewart, with The Temptations

"Bring over some of your old Motown records
We'll put the speakers in the window and we'll go
On the roof and listen to the Miracles
Echo to the alley down below"

Rock and Roll Heaven by The Righteous Brothers lists several, albeit by first name only, including Otis Redding, Bobby Darin, and Jim Croce. This one also belongs in the thread about songs mentioning other songs.

roadman

Jimmy Buffett's Life is Just A Tire Swing:

And Elvis would sing
And then I'd dream
About expensive cars
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

ARMOURERERIC

bing101

Weird Al Yankovic did Tacky. That song singled out Miley Cyrus and Kanye West in the Lyrics. Oddly enough Weird Al mentioned Yolo license plate in the song. I went what how did a county next door to Sacramento county get national attention? Then I found out Yolo has a different meaning "You Only Live Once"' outside of Sacramento and Solano counties.

Tacky was based on Pharell Williams "Happy"

bing101

Also Bruno Mars did "Locked Out of Paradise" the tone seemed to follow The Police two hits "Roxanne" and "Message in a Bottle" the early hits of the Police.

bing101

Quote from: roadman65 on March 05, 2015, 02:54:06 AM
Speaking of Weird Al, many misconceptions about his parodies on Michael Jackson's Beat it.  Many who loved the song Eat It seemed to be those who thought Michael Jackson was a weirdo or did not get into the type of genre he had so they thought it was funny and that Weird Al was poking fun at the pedophile.  However, Weird Al actually loved Jackson's music and did his song because he liked him and his work.

The same with I Lost On Jeopardy, which was Al's parody on Greg Kihn's song Our Love's In Jeopardy as Kihn himself made a cameo in the video of the song.

Sting seemed to have a special appearance in Weird al Version of King of Pain. It was King of Suede.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: bugo on March 07, 2015, 08:45:51 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 07, 2015, 02:37:01 PM

No, we just talked about his bass.
Nice.  I liked Watt in fIREHOSE.

yakra

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 03, 2015, 04:21:47 PM
And finally (for now), there's Roger Waters's um, jab at Andrew Lloyd Weber, who he believed stole some material from Pink Floyd, in "It's a Miracle":

We cower in our shelters
With our hands over our ears
Lloyd-Webber's awful stuff runs for years
And years and years and years and years

An earthquake hits the theater
But the operetta lingers
Then the piano lid comes down
Breaks his fucking fingers
It's a miracle

And on the same album  (Amused to Death), in Too Much Rope, an off-the cuff goof on Bob Dylan was left in "as a little gift for Bob Ezrin".

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 06, 2015, 09:56:51 PM
Phish  has a song called David Bowie that is mostly instrumental. 
See also: Michael Jackson, by Fatboy Slim.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

formulanone

Quote from: yakra on March 20, 2015, 02:13:36 PMSee also: Michael Jackson, by Fatboy Slim.

Don't forget: Tina Turner, Tina Turner, Tina Turner, Tina Turner...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.