News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

National Park Service delayed $11 billion in maintenance last year because of bu

Started by cpzilliacus, March 25, 2015, 09:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: National Park Service delayed $11 billion in maintenance last year because of budget challenges

QuoteThe National Park Service is increasingly neglecting its trails, roads and visitor centers because of recent budget constraints, according to a report from the agency this week.

QuoteThe park service said it delayed an estimated $11.5 billion worth of needed maintenance projects last year due to funding shortages, with the total growing nearly 2 percent compared to 2013.

QuoteRising construction costs have heightened the agency's budget challenges, with upkeep growing more expensive as park facilities fall further into disrepair, according to the report. (Here's a list of deferred projects by state and by park).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bandit957

This is inexcusable.

The government can spend trillions on a war, but can't lift a finger to pay for national parks?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

nexus73

Just another sickening story about where the USA is today.  We are crumbling away on all transportation infrastructure fronts it seems.  In my town of around 10K it is figured that it would take $20 million to do all needed street repairs and upgrades.  The scale of the rotting away of America only goes up from the small town level.  I am hopelessly sad over this situation.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Pete from Boston

Here's what you do: donate to your favorite park's Friends group.  This is how parks get money now, and there is no way for the government to reallocate those funds.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 25, 2015, 10:55:52 AM
Here's what you do: donate to your favorite park's Friends group.  This is how parks get money now, and there is no way for the government to reallocate those funds.

A modest personal suggestion - federal taxpayers should stop funding the federal parkways in the Washington, D.C. region.  Now.  The money spent on those parkways can be put to better use maintaining the core assets of our national parks.

Full disclosure: I use those parkways on a frequent basis.

Their upkeep and improvement should be funded by their users through tolls instead (and the revenue should not go back to the U.S. Treasury, but should stay with NPS to maintain, patrol and otherwise operate the "motor roads" (NPS term) in D.C. and nearby Maryland and Virginia). 

It might be worthwhile to charge tolls on longer and generally rural parkways like the Blue Ridge Parkway, Natchez Trace Parkway and the Colonial Parkway, but that's not what I am proposing here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.