News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

route17fan

Uh oh.. US 22 makes an appearance in R8 for an I-684 pavement rehab project from Hardscrabble Rd north to I-84

Link: https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263441
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

vdeane

Quote from: route17fan on March 07, 2017, 04:00:25 PM
D263387 - a project to improve the interchange with I-390, I-490, and Lyell Ave in the Rochester area.

Link: https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263387
I was honestly starting to wonder if that project would ever see the light of day.  Of course, this is SIGNIFICANTLY scaled back from what it once was.  Last I saw, it would have had more extensive interchange modifications, including express lanes.  Over 15 years ago, the plan was to completely rebuild the interchange and do a full depth reconstruction from there all the way to NY 104.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

I am fairly sure preliminary phases of the project have already been underway under different contracts. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Buffaboy

The intersection of Walden Ave and Galleria Dr. in Cheektowaga is an insidious one, that's for sure. If you're going southbound on Galleria Dr, there are 3 movements at the intersection: left,through and right.

People will turn left from the center lane, and someone almost collided with me in an attempt to cut across to the I-90 WB ramp. On paper, the vehicle should have continued straight to Anderson Rd. I was in the left turn lane, so I had the right of way to continue onto Walden Ave.

I wonder if the interchange reconstruction will correct these flaws. The best thing that can be done is the installation of a wire pylon with three "ONLY" shields indicating the movements.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

amroad17

This has nothing to do with traffic safety--it has everything to do with ignorant, stupid drivers.  Most drivers need to pay attention and stay off the f'ing phones.  Remember when it was turning the radio dial that caused distracted driving?  Now it is texting and talking on phones that cause it.  Drivers just need to read the signs and be attentive.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

PHLBOS

Quote from: route17fan on March 07, 2017, 04:00:25 PM
D263387 - a project to improve the interchange with I-390, I-490, and Lyell Ave in the Rochester area.

Link: https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263387
Is it me or do those LEFT EXIT tabs shown on the drawings for Exit 9B appear a bit too wide?   

On many of the proposed BGS', the tabs are so wide (& given NYSDOT's insistence on not having exit tabs mounted fully flush with the 'outer' edge of the main sign panel) that such doesn't appear to be left-justified at a glance.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on March 07, 2017, 08:42:31 PM
I am fairly sure preliminary phases of the project have already been underway under different contracts. 
Quite possibly (the area of NY 390 to be reconstructed did receive an overlay after that version of the project was cancelled; it was originally to be done around the same time as the work on I-490 east of there; there was also a project in the works to reconstruct NY 590 from Norton Street to Lake Ontario, as I recall).  All I know is that they've been talking about this interchange since I was in elementary school, and the cost of the project has had some questioning whether the revived project (after the original was cancelled) would actually go through or not.  Kinda like the exit 4 flyover around here.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Exit 4 Phase 1 was completed in 2015 with the bridge replacements. I know the rest is on CDTC's priority list, but failing bridges come first.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on March 08, 2017, 02:14:03 PM
Exit 4 Phase 1 was completed in 2015 with the bridge replacements. I know the rest is on CDTC's priority list, but failing bridges come first.

Now there's a project that came out of nowhere.  In my personal opinion, someone with major influence got phase 1 onto the letting schedule and completed.  That happened faster than with any other project to which I've been a witness.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

I've been poring over this new route log, and also noticing a number of the Wikipedia articles have been updated based on it. But I'm not convinced that some of these updates reflect actual changes, so much as discrepancies between the route log and, say, NYSDOT inventory files. For example:

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on January 09, 2017, 03:28:00 PM
- NY 220's extension to the Veterans Home in Oxford is gone, now just to NY 12 in Oxford Village.

The 2004 route log shows the same terminus at NY 12. (I also have logs from 2009 and 2012, which I assume will also be the same.) However, the 2006 inventory file still shows the extension to CR 32 (the vets' home). The 2014 file (the most recent available) corroborates this. So either this was changed by 2004 and the inventory files are wrong, or–more likely–the route log isn't accurate.

Quote- NY 261's county-maintained northern terminus lopped off.

Again, the 2004 and 2017 logs show the same terminus, and it's Manitou Beach–east of the parkway. (The terminus is indicated by parentheses.)

Quote- NY 314 truncated to the spur between 87 and 9.

This is legit, and confirmed by GSV. However, I'm just struck by how short a route NY 314 is left as. Must be in the bottom 3 or 4 statewide!

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on January 15, 2017, 03:00:21 PM
So apparently, checking it again, NY 8 has been truncated to the northern end of the concurrency with NY 10 instead of running to NY 17, lopping off 2.16 miles.

NY 102 has been truncated by 2.5 miles from NY 24 to William Street. It was county-maintained as CR 106 west of the junction, so it makes sense.

NY 204 east of I-390 lopped off.

Again, none of these is a change in the log since 2004, and all are refuted by the most current inventory file. And turning back those few hundredths of a mile of NY 204 between I-390 and the city line would be very odd–who would take it over, the county?

I went ahead and reverted the WP pages for NY 96 and NY 80 that cited the 2017 log as a change, but in fact are cases where all recent route logs agree and are in conflict with the inventory file. My feeling is that the inventory files are more accurate, but is there another school of thought on this?

cl94

NY 220's extension was signed as of a month ago. NY 8 was still signed to NY 17 last weekend.

The ONLY confirmed removals are in Region 7 and I, along with many others, have confirmed most personally. In cases where the log and inventory files disagree, inventory files trump.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

dgolub

Quote from: route17fan on March 07, 2017, 04:41:37 PM
Uh oh.. US 22 makes an appearance in R8 for an I-684 pavement rehab project from Hardscrabble Rd north to I-84

Link: https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263441

There's also a US 22 shield on NY 22 in North White Plains.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on March 10, 2017, 12:39:53 AM
NY 220's extension was signed as of a month ago. NY 8 was still signed to NY 17 last weekend.

The ONLY confirmed removals are in Region 7 and I, along with many others, have confirmed most personally. In cases where the log and inventory files disagree, inventory files trump.

That's always been my belief. It looks like what happened is that somebody looked at maintenance jurisdiction rather than posted numbering and thought, "Oh hey, that section isn't state maintained; it's county. Better remove it from the list."

(MODS: Possible to split off this side-topic?)

vdeane

What is interesting is that street view indicates that the signage DOES claim that NY 261 ends at the Parkway.

cl94

I-88 WB rest area in Sidney reopened at some point between last Saturday and today. All signage has been changed to reflect this.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on March 10, 2017, 01:16:53 PM
What is interesting is that street view indicates that the signage DOES claim that NY 261 ends at the Parkway.

Yeah, but I seem to recall it's "always" been that way.

NY 96 is another example. It officially ends at Main St., but when was the last time you saw any markers west of Winton Road?

While on that subject, the route log gives the northern terminus of that route as "Inner Loop"–and I have a theory that they actually mean the western leg of the Inner Loop, back when it ran along Plymouth Ave.

vdeane

Signage on NY 96 just disappears (same for NY 404, even though it actually ends around NY 590; signage erroneously says it heads west and then vanishes).  NY 261 has an "END" shield prior to the LOSP, the ramps from the LOSP only snow NY 261 south, and coming from the county-maintained part there's a "JCT NY 261" sign on the same assembly as the "JCT LOSP" sign.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on March 11, 2017, 05:05:12 PM
Signage on NY 96 just disappears (same for NY 404, even though it actually ends around NY 590; signage erroneously says it heads west and then vanishes).  NY 261 has an "END" shield prior to the LOSP, the ramps from the LOSP only snow NY 261 south, and coming from the county-maintained part there's a "JCT NY 261" sign on the same assembly as the "JCT LOSP" sign.

This. I can name a handful of routes that just disappear under local maintenance. NY 261 is the only one I know of with an end sign. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. But it is curious. Stuff like NY 80 and US 9W just die out. Not 261.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on March 11, 2017, 06:01:52 PM

This. I can name a handful of routes that just disappear under local maintenance. NY 261 is the only one I know of with an end sign. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. But it is curious. Stuff like NY 80 and US 9W just die out. Not 261.

I don't know that 261 has always had END signage; that may indeed be a change. But even if it is, the route log doesn't reflect it. (Neither does the inventory, although that may have changed since 2014.)

This would not be the first case of a route's "official" alignment differing from its signed alignment. NY 15 was never "officially" overlapped onto I-390 and NY 17, but signage unambiguously said it was so for quite some time.

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on March 12, 2017, 12:13:58 AM

I don't know that 261 has always had END signage; that may indeed be a change. But even if it is, the route log doesn't reflect it. (Neither does the inventory, although that may have changed since 2014.)

This would not be the first case of a route's "official" alignment differing from its signed alignment. NY 15 was never "officially" overlapped onto I-390 and NY 17, but signage unambiguously said it was so for quite some time.

Certainly. It's still signed as overlapping. There are more NY 15 reassurance markers on that section than NY 17 ones.

Alps

Touring Route.

empirestate

Quote from: Alps on March 12, 2017, 12:45:01 AM
Touring Route.

Yes...??

D-Dey65

Quote from: route17fan on March 07, 2017, 04:41:37 PM

I saw a US 9A shield in Riverdale at the Henry Hudson Parkway, and an NY 9 shield on Broadway at the George Washington Bridge early yesterday morning.

Yes, I'm home from my big road trip. It's not the worst I've ever been on, but it wasn't that great either.

D-Dey65

Hey, new idea (or maybe not so new);

Why won't the New York City DOT and Parks Department combine Exit 13 on the Major Deegan Expressway with the entrance to the northbound gas station?

compdude787

I'm surprised there even is a gas station on a free Interstate highway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.