News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways, Bridges, Ect Named After In-town Celebrities

Started by BigMattFromTexas, July 26, 2009, 09:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njroadhorse

In Pittsburgh, there's:

- Art Rooney Drive
- Tony Dorsett Drive
- Negley Run Blvd (for Major General Negley in the Civil War)
- Roberto Clemente Bridge (6th Street Bridge)
- P J McArdle Roadway
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

WNYroadgeek

Part of US 20A near Ralph Wilson Stadium is designated "Tim Russert Way".

SP Cook

I will not bore you with the three dozen WV things named after RCB.

I-64 from KY to its JCT with I-77 is named for Cecil Underwood, twice governor, his terms being 40 years apart.  No one calls it that.

I-77 from VA to the start of the WV TPK is named for Hugh Ike Shott, a senator for two months, and a major media person.  No one calls it that.

What used to be 16th Street in Huntington, which is a signed exit from I-64, is named for Hal Greer, a local basketball player at Marshall and later in the NBA HOF.  Locals still call it 16th Street.

What used to be Broad Street, which is a signed exit off 64/77 in Charleston is named for Leon Sullivan, a local product who boycotted business who did not hire blacks and was on the GM board, before selling "Africa Bonds" that were supposed to pay 15% interest.  Locals still call it Broad Street.

About every bridge on every interstate is named for somebody killed in the various Middle Eastern wars.  A bridge on the WV TPK is even named for a state trooper and a retired one who crashed the state helicopter while engaging in an unauthorized joyride.  Prior to recent times naming were more selective.  The WV TPK had four named structures, the Yeager Bridge, named for Chuck Yeager, WWII fighter pilot and first man to fly faster than sound; the Memorial Tunnel, named for all WWII and Korean veterans, which ended at the Bender Bridge, named for WWII MH winner Stanley Bender; and the Charlton Bridge named for CH Charlton, the first black MH winner, who was killed in Korea fighting in one of the last segregated USA units.  Later, when the Memorial Tunnel was bypassed and the material used to bypass it was used to fill the valley and thus bypass the bridge as well, Bender's name was assigned to a much smaller bridge.  He was bitter about it and wanted the bypass named "Memorial Tunnel - Bender Bridge bypass project".

The first bridge on I-64 eastbound after it leaves the TPK is named for Phill McDonald, a MH winner from Vietnam.

Jerry Dove Road, the federally run access road to the FBI Labratory near Clarksburg is named for Jerry Dove, an FBI agent from Charleston (MU and WVU grad, BTW) who was killed in a shootout.  Some people mistakenly call this WV 279, but actually 279 ends at the exit.

Bryant5493

Max Cleland Blvd. (Lithonia, Ga.)

Ralph David Abernathy Fwy. (I-20 between I-285/Westside and I-285/Eastside)

Tom Murphy Fwy. (I-20 from Georgia-Alabama line to I-285/Westside)

Tom Moreland Interchange/Spaghetti Junction
(Named for the DOT commissioner who helped to reconstruct the interchange at I-285 and I-85.)

Bobby Jones Expressway (Portion of I-520 in Augusta, Georgia)

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Alps

golden eagle

In Jackson, there's Medgar Evers Blvd., named for the late, famed civil rights leader. The airport was also renamed Evers-Jackson International Airport.

Margaret Walker Alexander Drive was named for a poet and writer who was a professor at Jackson State University. Ironically, the street that's now named for her was the street Medgar Evers lived on before his assassination in 1963.
There's also a library here named for her as well.

J.R. Lynch Street in Jackson was named for the first black speaker of the House in Mississippi and one of the first black congressmen during Reconstruction.

Also in Jackson, a street that leads up to the Mississippi Sports Hall of fame is named James "Cool Papa" Bell Drive, after the Negro League baseball player. Bell is not actually from Jackson, but from Starkville (two hours north). He also has a street named for him in St. Louis, where he once played.

There's been a push to rename a downtown street here after the late Jackson mayor Frank Melton, who also once owned NBC station WLBT. So far, that effort has failed.

Faith Hill has a street named for her in Ridgeland, MS, a suburb north of Jackson. Ironically, she was born and raised south of Jackson.

In Yazoo City, the Haley Barbour Parkway was named after the current governor of the state, who's from the area. Also in Yazoo, Jerry Clower Blvd. was named for the late country comedian.

In the Hattiesburg-Petal area, the newly-opened Evelyn Gandy Parkway is the namesake of the late former lieutenant governor, a native of the area.

Bryant5493

Herman Talmadge Highway is the designation for portions of U.S. 19/41/S.R. 3 in Clayton and Henry counties (GA), along with Tara (Clayton) and Bear Creek Blvds. (Henry).

Cynthia McKinney Parkway is the designation for S.R. 10 & 154 in DeKalb County, Ga.

Ivan Allen, Jr. Blvd. connects Peachtree St. with the new World of Coke and the Ga. Aquarium.

Jimmy Carter Blvd. is the designation of S.R. 140 south-southeast of Holcomb Br. Rd. to the state highway's end at I-85.

Ronald Reagan Parkway's a county-maintained limited-access highway that connects Snellville and Pleasant Hill Road, east of Duluth.

Martin Luther King, Jr. Parkway is the designation of U.S. 19/41/S.R. 3 in Spalding County, Ga.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

mightyace

Quote from: Bryant5493 on September 02, 2009, 08:49:18 PM
Jimmy Carter Blvd. is the designation of S.R. 140 south-southeast of Holcomb Br. Rd. to the state highway's end at I-85.

Ronald Reagan Parkway's a county-maintained limited-access highway that connects Snellville and Pleasant Hill Road, east of Duluth.

Since Reagan followed Carter into the White House, do these two highways intersect?  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

golden eagle

PAHighways

Quote from: njroadhorse on August 07, 2009, 05:00:31 PM
In Pittsburgh, there's:

- Art Rooney Drive
- Tony Dorsett Drive
- Negley Run Blvd (for Major General Negley in the Civil War)
- Roberto Clemente Bridge (6th Street Bridge)
- P J McArdle Roadway

Andy Worhol [7th Street] Bridge
Rachel Carson [9th Street] Bridge
Mario Lemieux Place
Senator Robert D. Fleming [62nd Street] Bridge
George Westinghouse Memorial Bridge

There is an Arnold Palmer Place in Latrobe next to his car dealership, but it isn't much.  Old US 30 between PA 981 and Youngstown, which goes past his residence and golf course, is named Arnold Palmer Drive.

Alex

Quote from: Bryant5493 on September 02, 2009, 08:49:18 PM

Cynthia McKinney Parkway is the designation for S.R. 10 & 154 in DeKalb County, Ga.

I thought they reverted that to Memorial Drive or whatever its original name was after her incident with the DC Police?

akotchi

A couple from my travels.

The B-W Parkway is named for Gladys Spellman, I believe a former Maryland congresswoman.

Most of the interchanges along I-95 in South Carolina are named for (I presume) local folks.

The Tip O'Neill and Ted Williams Tunnels in Boston.  Better known folks, but local nonetheless.

The Ohio Turnpike is/was named for James Shocknessy.

Just a few off the top of my head . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

golden eagle

Speaking of Pittsburgh, wasn't there a road renamed after Ben Roethlisberger?

Bryant5493

Re: AARoads' post about McKinney Pkwy.

I've not been up there in awhile, but the last time I went up that way on 285, the Memorial Drive exit still had the designation for McKinney. Even with the designation for the former congresswoman, street name signs still had "Memorial Drive" on them, along with the exit signage. The designation just was on those green signs on the shoulders of the roadway.

**EDIT** I'd forgotten about that incident.

Be well,

Bryant

PAHighways

Quote from: golden eagle on September 02, 2009, 10:34:55 PMSpeaking of Pittsburgh, wasn't there a road renamed after Ben Roethlisberger?

No

He does have a sandwich named after him:  the Roethlis-burger for $7 at Peppi's.

rawmustard

Since I've got Illinois Tollways on my brain after reading about their boondoggle discussed elsewhere in this forum...

*The Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90, originally Northwest Tollway) was named because Addams was famous for helping establish settlement houses in Chicago, the most notable of which was Hull House.
*The Ronald Reagan Memorial Tollway (I-88, originally the East-West Tollway) runs fairly close to Dixon, the birthplace of the late president.

Now for something a little closer to home...

*The Sojourner Truth Downtown Parkway (I-194/M-66) is named for the famed abolitionist, who spent her later years in Battle Creek. She is buried in the city's Oak Hill Cemetery and has a monument in her honor at the north end of the freeway. However, locals mostly refer to the freeway as "the Penetrator" or simply M-66, which is memorialized for Truth for its length in Calhoun County.
*The Robert B. Miller Bridge is a viaduct which carries M-89 over the consolidated railroad tracks and the Kalamazoo River, named for a publisher of the Battle Creek Enquirer, politician, and philanthropist. Other streets in town are named for settlers, early city leaders, and the standard former presidents.

Sykotyk

OH-7 in Steubenville is the Dean Martin Boulevard. Further south, OH-7 is the Bill Mazeroski Highway near Rayland, OH. Further south, still, in Martins Ferry, it's named after Lou Groza. I'm pretty sure OH-7 in East Liverpool is named after Lou Holtz, but that might be US-30.

Sykotyk

hm insulators

Streets named after Martin Luther King, Jr. are quite common.

The Palm Springs, California area has several streets named for famous people that lived there: Frank Sinatra Drive, Bob Hope Drive, Gerald Ford Drive and Dinah Shore Drive. I find Frank Sinatra Drive useful when I'm going to or from California and I want to stop at my favorite Mexican restaurant.

There's also a Bob Hope Drive in Burbank.

In Hawaii, Kamehameha Highway (named for the king who first united all of the Hawaiian Islands into one kingdom) encircles the island of Oahu.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

mgk920

Quote from: cu2010 on August 07, 2009, 10:57:00 AM
Quote from: Chris on August 02, 2009, 05:21:34 AM
They have a Bill Clinton Boulevard in Tirana, Albania.

Staying in the "foreign cities with streets named after U.S. presidents" category, Montreal has Avenue du Président-Kennedy, named after JFK, a popular figure in the province of Quebec.
There are streets named after major USA figures, especially JFKennedy, all over Europe.

Green Bay, WI - Lombardi Ave (Vince Lombardi - Green Bay Packers' coach), Ray Nitschke Bridge (famous Packers' player), along with many others.

Mike

Scott5114

I-70 in Saint Louis has some Mark McGwire Highway signs.

Go to the other end of the state in Kansas City and I-70 has signage declaring it the "George Brett Superhighway".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.