News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: vdeane on November 20, 2014, 01:28:01 PM
I'm not sure why they bothered to keep I-164 at all.  Just take the small bit west of US 41 off the interstate system.  Or at least renumber it to I-169 (though I'd rather not; I'm not happy about NY losing the distinction of having the smallest interstate to Indiana).

You know they're itching to turn that stub into US 41

english si

I-164/9 would get longer when the Ohio river bridge opens, diverting I-69 to the east.

silverback1065

I'm pretty sure it will become 169 eventually

tdindy88

I viewed the sign plans for this project a while ago and I don't recall seeing any I-164 signs remaining, including west of US 41, I believe the entire highway is gone (or will be.) So I believe NY is safe with their shortest interstate. What I wasn't happy to see when the sign plans was a lack of control city at the various I-164 interchanges. Although it will be at least another year before it becomes a more-or-less reality, I'd love to see Indianapolis on the highway signs at the interchange with I-69 and the Lloyd.

jnewkirk77

As far as INDOT has been concerned, the westernmost six-tenths of a mile might have been numbered as I-164, but the end has been signed where Exit 0 peels off to the C/D ramp to 41 and Kentucky Ave. That's where the yellow "Ends I-164" overhead is located. (I don't know why it's "ends" and not "end". It's been that way for several years.)

jnewkirk77

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 20, 2014, 05:14:26 PM

The way INDOT has been decommissioning and rerouting roads, don't be surprised if they don't try to send 41 around I-69 and I-64 and turn what's now 41 between the two over to Evansville and Vanderburgh County.  I don't see a "169" in Evansville's future.

NE2

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 20, 2014, 07:40:29 PM
I viewed the sign plans for this project a while ago and I don't recall seeing any I-164 signs remaining, including west of US 41, I believe the entire highway is gone (or will be.) So I believe NY is safe with their shortest interstate.
I-878 is unsigned...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on November 20, 2014, 07:50:19 PM

The way INDOT has been decommissioning and rerouting roads, don't be surprised if they don't try to send 41 around I-69 and I-64 and turn what's now 41 between the two over to Evansville and Vanderburgh County.  I don't see a "169" in Evansville's future.

People in Evansville still frequently refer to "Old 41."  Will current 41 become "Less Old 41," or will Kentucky Ave become "Really Old 41"?

tdindy88

I believe I've heard, and it's probably written somewhere on this forum, there is (or was) a plan to reroute 41 onto Now!I-69. But now that you mentioned it, I really want to see a street blade with "Less Old 41!"

jnewkirk77

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 20, 2014, 08:06:31 PM

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on November 20, 2014, 07:50:19 PM

People in Evansville still frequently refer to "Old 41."  Will current 41 become "Less Old 41," or will Kentucky Ave become "Really Old 41"?

Yes, but less so than they used to. Indeed, it was sort of odd when Diamond Ave. was last redone, the signs at Fares Ave. (Old 41 North) no longer reference Fares at all ... They read "Old Business 41"!  Even local media now refers to it as such. And quite honestly, I can understand why the name game is being played. Fares has had, and still does, a rough reputation for crime and prostitution. Not that a name change does anything to fix that, though! :rolleyes:

Pete from Boston

Then I guess there can be "Old Business 41," "New Business 41," and (wait for it) "Reading of the Minutes 41"!

andy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 20, 2014, 11:35:53 PM
Then I guess there can be "Old Business 41," "New Business 41," and (wait for it) "Reading of the Minutes 41"!

Next, I move we table 41.

andy

silverback1065

tdindy88

Bored at the moment so I looked at I-69 on the map. When Section 4 opens up next year, you'll be able to go from Harding Street and Oliver Street (just north of I-70) in Indianapolis all the way to the intersection of Kratzville Road and First Avenue on the north side of Evansville without ever getting off the road, considering how I-69 curves around Evansville and becomes Veterans Memorial Parkway and Fulton Avenue.

jhuntin1

Quote from: andy on November 26, 2014, 10:02:05 PM
Another article about the SR 37 v.s. I-70 approach to section 6.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/i69/legislator-may-revive-debate-over-where-last-phase-of-i69-enters-indianapolis-area_71397484

Andy, since most of us aren't subscribers, could you give us the highlights of the article, or at least who the legislator is and what he thinks he can do? If I remember correctly, the original legislator who fought so hard to keep I-69 out of Perry Township, Senator Borst, hasn't been in office for years now.

andy

Quote from: jhuntin1 on November 28, 2014, 10:09:46 PM
Quote from: andy on November 26, 2014, 10:02:05 PM
Another article about the SR 37 v.s. I-70 approach to section 6.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/i69/legislator-may-revive-debate-over-where-last-phase-of-i69-enters-indianapolis-area_71397484

Andy, since most of us aren't subscribers, could you give us the highlights of the article, or at least who the legislator is and what he thinks he can do? If I remember correctly, the original legislator who fought so hard to keep I-69 out of Perry Township, Senator Borst, hasn't been in office for years now.

Sorry about that, when I posted it was open. I'll not trust them to keep things open again. Here is the same article from Indiana Economic Digest;
http://indianaeconomicdigest.com/main.asp?SectionID=31&SubSectionID=66&ArticleID=77288

QuoteChelsea Schneider, Evansville Courier & Press Statehouse Reporter

INDIANAPOLIS – A Central Indiana lawmaker is planning to propose legislation next year that could reignite debate on the route of the final section of the Interstate 69 expansion.
The sixth section will extend the road north from Martinsville to Indianapolis, but a law passed in 2006 restricts it from entering Indianapolis' Perry Township. State Rep. John Price, a Greenwood Republican, said this week he's exploring introducing legislation as a way to review the route because of what he believes are the economic development benefits of the road following the Indiana 37 corridor in Johnson County, which is immediately south of Perry Township.

Price, a longtime county official before winning election to the Indiana House in 2012, said the county has worked to add water and utility infrastructure along Indiana 37 to support the road. The fifth section, which is in the initial phases of construction, is updating the existing Indiana 37 corridor from Bloomington up to Martinsville. However, a state senator whose district covers a portion of Perry Township led an effort for the ban in 2006 because of concerns of the road entering a more developed area of Indiana 37 and tying into a busy Interstate 465 interchange.

State Sen. Pat Miller, an Indianapolis Republican, said she would oppose efforts of lifting the ban in Perry Township. Miller said she wants the road to go west of the suburban township and tie into Interstate 70, which she said already has the lanes to handle an influx of I-69 traffic.

"I expect (the Indiana Department of Transportation) to follow the law,"  Miller said.

Price said he's looking for a compromise, and he's open to options in hopes of alleviating any roadblocks to the road going through Johnson County. Discussions could include releasing a portion of the township from the ban, Price said, while still balancing the concerns of lawmakers who worked to put in the restriction. Price said he's open to the road taking a western route as it heads more north into the Indianapolis area.

"A lot of money has been spent in Johnson County in preparation for (I-69.) It would be a shame to see it go away from here without putting up a good fight for this area,"  Price said, "and that's what I plan to do."

An initial study of the sixth section of the project explored a route that would follow Indiana 37 to I-465. However, INDOT is beginning a second environmental study, which is a step in the process of determining the final route for the sixth section.

INDOT spokesman Will Wingfield said the study will perform a new analysis of options for the route. The state has not identified funding to construct the sixth section of the project. The fifth section is being funded through a public-private partnership and is set to open in October 2016.

"INDOT will work to advance the alignment identified in the Tier 2 review that minimizes impacts to the natural and human environment, including the project cost,"  Wingfield said in a released statement.

On another line of conversation, I came through Evansville this evening.  Looks like much of the re-labelling is done.  Most BGSs have a new decal over the old shield and the difference of reflectivity is extremely noticeable.

jhuntin1

Thanks for posting that, Andy. As a Johnson County resident I can appreciate Price's efforts to help the county economically, but he'll have to move Heaven and Earth to convince the Perry Township people that it's a good idea. I believe there is a corridor that would work for the highway to split off of SR37 and come north somewhere between Harding St. and Mann Road that would require minimal relocation, but that's me working from memory.

tdindy88

Part of the space in between SR 37 and Mann Road, the part that hasn't been developed might be part of a flood plain for White River. While I am all for the effort of Greenwood to get the entire SR 37 corridor back to being I-69, I bet the straw argument from western Perry Township to Greenwood is that there's little to nothing west of SR 37 in Johnson County, except for that flood plain.

As for the new I-69 signage in Evansville. I have a feeling I know the answer but, were there any new control cities for the highway there. For years now I've wanted to see Indianapolis for northbound I-69 (I-164) and Henderson, perhaps Memphis, for southbound traffic. Maybe now isn't the time with parts of the highway not being complete, but eventually it would be nice.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 29, 2014, 02:43:38 AM
Part of the space in between SR 37 and Mann Road, the part that hasn't been developed might be part of a flood plain for White River. While I am all for the effort of Greenwood to get the entire SR 37 corridor back to being I-69, I bet the straw argument from western Perry Township to Greenwood is that there's little to nothing west of SR 37 in Johnson County, except for that flood plain.

As for the new I-69 signage in Evansville. I have a feeling I know the answer but, were there any new control cities for the highway there. For years now I've wanted to see Indianapolis for northbound I-69 (I-164) and Henderson, perhaps Memphis, for southbound traffic. Maybe now isn't the time with parts of the highway not being complete, but eventually it would be nice.

If memory serves, they were just retrofitting the existing BGSs, which had no control city southbound and "To I-64" northbound. My guess is that they'll hold off on adding those until the next full replacement project. I wouldn't count on Memphis being listed any time soon.

silverback1065

You'll see Memphis after the ohio river bridge

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SSF

there are still 164 signs in Evansville, i have pictorial evidence of it heh.

they are west of 41.

andy

I was only in the area of Lynch and Morgan, so no detailed report on all the signage.

As for control cities I did not see Indianapolis posted.  I personally don't expect to see Indianapolis being posted until after I69 is opened to Bloomington.

tdindy88

I figured as much. I really hope they aren't going to leave any 164 signs up west of US 41, especially after that touching obituary.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.