News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

A few more I-69 construction pics: Section 4

The pace of construction appears to be picking up. The recent good weather is a big plus as well.

These photos were taken July 16, unless otherwise identified.

Harmony Road bridge crossing over Interstate 69 in Monroe County, Indiana. The bridge rises 84 feet above the mainline roadbed. E. S. Wagner Co., contractor [Section 4, Segment 8].

Just completed deck pours on Harmony Road bridge. Let the curing begin! E. S. Wagner Co., contractor [Section 4, Segment 8].

Carving away at the mound just west of Harmony Road bridge, looking southwest. This point is the dividing line between Segments 7 and 8 of Section 4.

The black stuff, believe it or not, is coal. In the history of Monroe County there have been two (and only two) coal mines, each very modest in size and which operated in 1923 for about a year or so. Both were located very near where I-69 and Harmony Road meet. Initially I believed the rock was shale, but someone said coal, which I was skeptical of until I did some poking around online and found a USGS map identifying the location of the mines.

Edit: Received information that the black material is shale, NOT coal.

Stretch of mainline Interstate 69 just west of Harmony Road on the verge of being paved with PCCP. E & B Paving, contractor [Section 4, Segment 7].

Sign girders on an unused portion of SR 37 (near Victor Pike) awaiting installation. Crider & Crider, contractor [Section 4, Segment 9].

ITB

And now some pics of Section 5:

Photos were taken July 16, unless otherwise identified.

The newly constructed Rockport Road bridge crossing over SR 37/future I-69, looking east. I-69 Development Partners/Isolux Corsan [subs Force Construction; Crider & Crider; E & B Paving] (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 5).

Another view of Rockport Road bridge. Of interest are the generously-sized sidewalks. I-69 Development Partners/Isolux Corsan [subs Force Construction; Crider & Crider; E & B Paving] (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 5). Although the bridge is on the verge of completion, the approaches on both ends are not nearly so far along. This is significant because Rockport Road must be completed and open to traffic before Fullerton Pike, just to the north, can be closed (due to the nearby hospital). Initial earth work on the Fullerton Pike interchange has begun on the west side SR 37, but bridge work will have to wait until the Fullerton Pike/SR 37 intersection is sealed off.

Looking south from the Rockport Road overpass. Initial work to expand SR 37 to three lanes in each direction is seen in the foreground [Section 5]; beyond is the I-69/SR 37 intersection [Section 4, Segment 9] where work is proceeding at an aggressive pace in expectation of the opening of Section 4 by year's end.

Median bridge bent for the 17 Street/Vernal Pike overpass, looking west. As wrapping and forms are still in place for the cap, the concrete pours were only recently completed. The road in the background is Vernal Pike. Still a way to go here, as construction of the abutments has only just begun. I-69 Development Partners/Isolux Corsan [subs Force Construction; Crider & Crider; E & B Paving] (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 5).

Beginning earth and drainage work to add a third lane in each direction to State Road 37/future Interstate 69, looking south from Tapp Road; Bloomington, Monroe County, Indiana. I-69 Development Partners/Isolux Corsan [subs Crider & Crider; E & B Paving] (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 5).

IndyAgent

The new completion percentages are up on Indy.Gov

June         July

1     93%         96%     
2     89%         93%
3     82%         88%
4-5  71%         73%
6/7  67%         72%
8     73%         75%
9     75%         76%

ITB

Found a great picture of bridges under construction in Segment 2 of Section 4.

Bridge over Black Ankle Creek in Greene County, looking west. Millstone Weber, contractor (Section 4, Segment 2); date of photo: unknown

Photo credit: Millstone Weber construction

The construction arm of Fred Weber, Inc. -- the entity that was awarded the contract for Segment 2 in a joint venture with Kolb Grading -- merged in April 2014 with Millstone Bangert, Inc. to form the firm Millstone Weber.

Also, Google has updated the satellite view for maps for western Monroe County and eastern parts of Greene County. The date stamp is September 28, 2014. Construction of the bridge pictured above is shown as are others bridges to the east. Of interest, too, is the formative shape of the I-69/SR 45 intersection.

IndyAgent

Great photo but it must be old because section 2 is over 90% complete

Pete from Boston

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 20, 2015, 09:36:49 PM
My god, I swear I hate NIMBYs, if you're against something, be against it for actual reasons!! Not bullshit! "I liked SR 57/67 to Evansville" you're about the only person that did, and besides both roads are still there! Nimbys only care about themselves and no one else, and that's why I can't stand them!
This road will help out everyone in the area whether they like it or not.

"I would prefer the road not be built" is an actual reason.  A blanket condemnation of a group of people is no better than a blanket condemnation of all construction.

silverback1065

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 24, 2015, 12:56:56 PM

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 20, 2015, 09:36:49 PM
My god, I swear I hate NIMBYs, if you're against something, be against it for actual reasons!! Not bullshit! "I liked SR 57/67 to Evansville" you're about the only person that did, and besides both roads are still there! Nimbys only care about themselves and no one else, and that's why I can't stand them!
This road will help out everyone in the area whether they like it or not.

"I would prefer the road not be built" is an actual reason.  A blanket condemnation of a group of people is no better than a blanket condemnation of all construction.
That's not a reason, that's an opinion.   

silverback1065

There's nothing wrong with being against something, as I said, have valid reasons to be against something, saying "I prefer not" is just an excuse used by many that have no reasons to be against something. It doesn't help anyone.
Reason meaning facts to back it up
This makes me mad because it gets in the way of progress and it ends up hurting everyone.

silverback1065

Pete from Boston

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 24, 2015, 01:04:09 PM
There's nothing wrong with being against something, as I said, have valid reasons to be against something, saying "I prefer not" is just an excuse used by many that have no reasons to be against something. It doesn't help anyone.
Reason meaning facts to back it up
This makes me mad because it gets in the way of progress and it ends up hurting everyone.

It sounds like you don't like the inefficiency of a system where public dissent is a factor.  Not everyone agrees with one definition of progress, and thank god for all of us that public vetting of public initiatives is part of how we do things.  It just takes one efficiently plowed-through proposal you don't like to make that clear.

vdeane

"I disagree because I don't like it" is basically the same as saying "I disagree for the sake of disagreeing".  If you have a REASON to disagree ("I think there are better uses for taxpayer money, such as X"), that's a different matter.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

silverback1065

Quote from: vdeane on July 25, 2015, 03:35:07 PM
"I disagree because I don't like it" is basically the same as saying "I disagree for the sake of disagreeing".  If you have a REASON to disagree ("I think there are better uses for taxpayer money, such as X"), that's a different matter.
That's my argument, I just didn't convey it well.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: vdeane on July 25, 2015, 03:35:07 PM

Are votes counted only if cast with a reason satisfactory to the electorate?

silverback1065

Should we halt an entire project just because a few people don't like it, yet can't say why they don't like it?

silverback1065

Lets just agree to disagree, not looking into starting arguments

thefro

This article in today's Bloomington Herald-Times (behind paywall) says that Section 4 is still on track to open by the end of the year.

Quote"Earth work and bridges take up the vast majority of time," Wingfield said. "In the next month or so, all embankment work will be done, and all the contractors will be into paving."

The article also listed the status of the paving for each segment
QuoteSegment 1: Contractor: Crider & Crider. Status: Completely paved
Segment 2: Contractor: Fred Weber Inc. and Kolb Grading. Status: Started paving July 21
Segment 3: Contractor: White Construction. Status: About 50 percent paved
Segments 4, 5, and 6A: Contractor: Milestone Construction. Status: About 25 percent paved
Segments 6 and 7: Contractor: E & B Paving. Status: Started paving July 20
Segment 8: Contractor: E. S. Wagner Co. Status: Not started
Segment 9: Contractor: Crider & Crider. Status: Not started

There will still be some cleanup/erosion control construction work to finish up in 2016 even after the new segment opens later this year, per the article.

ITB

Yesterday, Saturday, July 25, I ventured down into Greene County for a look-see on the current status of I-69 construction. Considerable progress is being made, but with still lots more to be done, it's now "crunch" time for the contractors who must shift into overdrive for the final push toward completion. Of the four segments I visited, three were hives of construction activity.

Long stretches of the mainline are now paved, but, at the same time, earth work is continuing at other locations. Of note, State Road 445 is now paved from near its juncture with SR 45 to near the future interchange with I-69. Mainline pavement also is found stretching in both directions from the future SR 45 interchange, though none of the ramps are paved. Work is still continuing in Segment 3 on the bridges over East Mineral-Koleen Road, as well as Dry Branch Road. In Section 2, earth work is ongoing and although the long, impressive bridge over Black Ankle Valley is nearing completion, much remains to be done, such as the side walls.

While I did not drop by Harmony Road or Breeden Road, it is evident the 2-mile stretch of road between them is now being paved. On SR 45 I observed several tri-axle dump trucks apparently heading back to the E & B Paving facility on Oard Road on the westside of Bloomington. According to the Herald-Times article referenced above, E & B Paving is using dump trucks instead of aggregate mixers to ferry PCCP to the construction site. The trucks have 45 minutes to get from plant to site before the concrete begins to harden, but as the trip is only about 25 minutes, the operation has been functioning smoothly, according to the source quoted.

Without further delay, to the pics. Photos were taken July 25th unless otherwise indicated.

Stretch of nearly complete mainline in Greene County, Indiana; looking southeast from near the future I-69/State Road 45 interchange. Milestone Contractors LP (Section 4, Segment 4).

Bridge carrying State Road 45 over I-69. This was the first major component of I-69, Section 4 to be completed (2013). Milestone Contractors LP (Section 4, Segment 4).

I-69 mainline and northbound exit ramp to State Road 45 in Greene County; looking southwest. Milestone Contractors LP (Section 4, Segment 4).

Looking north from the I-69/SR 45 interchange. Of interest is the portable concrete batch mixing facility in the median (not located next to the road, but in the middle of the road!). Milestone Contractors LP (Section 4, Segment 4).

Extension of State Road 445 in Greene County. Looking west from near the point where Carter Road crosses under SR 445. The future I-69/SR 445 interchange is about a half mile east of this location. E & B Paving, contractor (Section 4, Segment 6).

More pics to come.

ITB

To the pics, once again. All were taken July 25 unless otherwise indicated.

I-69 mainline and the future SR 445 interchange, looking southeast. Lots of work remains, but note the aggregate being laid on the northbound mainline. In the foreground is the rough outline of the southbound exit ramp. E & B Paving, contractor (Section 4, Segment 6).

Another view of work continuing near the future I-69/State Road 445 interchange. E & B Paving, contractor (Section 4, Segment 6).

Looking northeast from a point near the I-69/SR 445 interchange. Going at it, but the laying of aggregate and pavement appears to be a few weeks away. Nevertheless, the amount of work that can be accomplished with a few days of good weather is sometimes amazing. E & B Paving, contractor (Section 4, Segment 6).

The E & B Paving field office on Carter Road in Greene County. They were working, as AC units were humming. Just beyond the vegetation is the construction zone. (Section 4, Segment 6).

I-69 bridges crossing over East Mineral-Koleen Road in southern Greene County. Awaiting the arrival of four beams, which, I imagine, will be set in place next week, if the weather cooperates. White Construction, contractor (Section 4, Segment 3).

Still more.

ITB

And the last batch. All were taken July 25 unless otherwise indicated.

Another view of the bridges carrying I-69 over East Mineral-Koleen Road in southern Greene County; looking north. The photo does not do justice to the impressive size of the columns; they are massive. White Construction, contractor (Section 4, Segment 3).

I-69 bridges over Dry Creek Road and creek, a half mile or so west of the East Mineral-Koleen Road crossing. Huge, massive piers! White Construction, contractor (Section 4, Segment 3).

I-69 bridge crossing Black Ankle Valley in southern Greene County. Section 2 was contracted out at $109 million, and seeing the size and scope of this bridge, the price tag is understandable. Millstone Weber, contractor (Section 4, Segment 2).

The eastern end of the Black Ankle Valley bridges in Greene County, looking south from County Road 600 East. Millstone Weber, contractor (Section 4, Segment 2).

Some final earth work continues on Section 2 as the middle of summer approaches. The white tent-like structure is the field office for contractor Millstone Weber (Section 4, Segment 2).

That's it for now. I'll probably check out things in the next couple week or so at couple of locations I haven't been to in a while, such as Carmichael Road and the I-69/SR 37 interchange.

By the way, does the type of intersection at SR 445 have a specific design name? It's a tight diamond, of course, but since SR 445 terminates, I'm wondering if something more specific is applied. Also, is there a specific name for the rebar thingies that are placed on the roadbed prior to PCCP paving?

mgk920

Those 'rebar thingies' are called 'dowel bars'.  Some contractors place them before paving and others have more sophisticated paving machines that insert them as the concrete is being poured.

They hold adjacent squares of concrete in place in relation to each other and make a huge difference in the service life and long-term ride quality of the roads that they are used in!

Mike

silverback1065

Quote from: mgk920 on July 27, 2015, 10:13:43 AM
Those 'rebar thingies' are called 'dowel bars'.  Some contractors place them before paving and others have more sophisticated paving machines that insert them as the concrete is being poured.

They hold adjacent squares of concrete in place in relation to each other and make a huge difference in the service life and long-term ride quality of the roads that they are used in!

Mike
Yes they do, they transfer loads from slab to slab. A lot of times the end sticking out is greased to keep the rod from sticking to the other slab and making the rod perform incorrectly. It's pretty interesting.

silverback1065

Can someone post a link to a picture of what the 445/69 interchange is supposed to look like?

ITB

Mike

Thank you!

As for the future I-69/SR 445 interchange, here's a couple of schematics:

Source: Indiana Department of Transportation Letting Documents

Eventually, I imagine, SR 445 will be extended east of Interstate 69 to intersect with either Carmichael Road or W. Rock East Road in Monroe County. Why Monroe County didn't push for that in the first place is a bit puzzling.

Here's a aerial view of the area:

Source: Google Maps/Imagery

silverback1065

Quote from: ITB on July 27, 2015, 01:54:28 PM

Mike

Thank you!

As for the future I-69/SR 445 interchange, here's a couple of schematics:

Eventually, I imagine, SR 445 will be extended east of Interstate 69 to intersect with either Carmichael Road or W. Rock East Road in Monroe County. Why Monroe County didn't push for that in the first place is a bit puzzling.

Here's a aerial view of the area:

Source: Google Maps/Imagery
I hope you're right about the extension, I could have sworn this interchange was a trumpet, but they must have changed it. But that's a roundabout interchange, not sure if that's the technical name but that's what I'd call it. Not quite "teardrop style" though. They thankfully didn't go through with this at the 37/69 interchange, don't think that would have worked there at all.

vtk

I believe the technical term is "dogbone" interchange. If the roundabouts on either side were complete circles, it would be a "dumbell" interchange.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.