News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Will I-69 be plowing through Indianapolis, and/or SR 37 is eliminated on I-465 and I-69 joins the party on I-465? Will any part of SR 37 be truncated? Because the missing section of about 130 miles shows that SR 37 will make way for I-69.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

silverback1065

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 27, 2015, 04:02:38 PM
Will I-69 be plowing through Indianapolis, and/or SR 37 is eliminated on I-465 and I-69 joins the party on I-465? Will any part of SR 37 be truncated? Because the missing section of about 130 miles shows that SR 37 will make way for I-69.
Pretty sure 37 will be consigned and not be chopped up at all. There is a chance it could happen if the noblesville/fishers section gets turned over (no clue if it will happen). And it will likely never go through Indy, there are no plans to do that. I feel the only way you could get that done is if Jim Brainard was mayor of Indy because he's relentless when it comes to acquiring land for road projects. The only hard part would be connecting binford with the north split, binford would be easier, just do dogbone roundabout interchanges. But I've talked about this before earlier, not going to beat the dead horse again on that.
69 will ride around the city along the east side cosigned with 465. I really hope they fix that bs interchange at least

silverback1065

bmeiser

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 27, 2015, 04:49:11 PM
not sure the status of the project, but here's a link: http://www.urs.com/projects/i-465i-69-northeast-corridor/

I sure hope that something like this gets done in my lifetime. 465 desperately needs widening between Allisonville and I-69 and the I-465/I-69 interchange needs some major reconfiguring, at least from EB 465 - NB 69.  There's a BGS for 69 going EB on 465 that has 82nd street covered up so I think they're at least thinking about doing something like this in the future.  The question is when will they have funding?

silverback1065

Quote from: bmeiser on July 27, 2015, 04:58:01 PM
not sure the status of the project, but here's a link: http://www.urs.com/projects/i-465i-69-northeast-corridor/

I sure hope that something like this gets done in my lifetime. 465 desperately needs widening between Allisonville and I-69 and the I-465/I-69 interchange needs some major reconfiguring, at least from EB 465 - NB 69.  There's a BGS for 69 going EB on 465 that has 82nd street covered up so I think they're at least thinking about doing something like this in the future.  The question is when will they have funding?

that interchange was supposed to be finished when they redid the 37 interchange, but they cancelled it.  i have no idea if it's completely cancelled, though.

andy

Quote from: ITB on July 26, 2015, 06:45:21 PM

I-69 bridges crossing over East Mineral-Koleen Road in southern Greene County. Awaiting the arrival of four beams, which, I imagine, will be set in place next week, if the weather cooperates. White Construction, contractor (Section 4, Segment 3).

This bridge has been stuck in this missing span configuration most of the summer.  Do you have specific information that leads you to believe progress is impending?  I had heard a beam was dropped south of Martinsville earlier this summer and I suspect it was part of this span.  I also have no idea how long it takes to replace a damaged pre-cast beam.

Another curiosity, the bridge west of the Mineral-Koleen road has more "traditional" steel beams.  As far as I know, it is the only one not using pre-cast concrete.

Quote from: ITB on July 27, 2015, 01:54:28 PM

Eventually, I imagine, SR 445 will be extended east of Interstate 69 to intersect with either Carmichael Road or W. Rock East Road in Monroe County. Why Monroe County didn't push for that in the first place is a bit puzzling.

During the planning of section 4, Monroe County was fighting every inch. I've said before, they should probably have at least one interchange nearer 37, but couldn't bring themselves to provide constructive input.  Interesting now because Bloomington will have one exchange every mile inside city limits for section 5.

silverback1065

Wasn't Bloomington one of the cities most against it?

tdindy88

Yes Bloomington was very vocal against the project, though it probably wasn't EVERYONE in town, just the really vocal ones, I remember the NO I-69 signs traveling south on Walnut Street entering town years ago. So naturally they are probably going to end up with one of the most aesthetically-pleasing looking interstates of any city in the state.

That 82nd Street on the BGS was back when they were still planning on rebuilding the 465/69 interchange. I think it was stupid that they cancelled that when they had already widened 465 from US 31 to Allisonville Road leading to a bottleneck in that area now.

As for further south in Monroe County I would have a suspicion that the people in the southwestern part of the county where there is no exit from SR 37 to SR 445 would prefer if there were no exit in between since that sort of thing usually leads to the construction of gas stations and whatnot, there was something a while ago up in the H-T newspaper about the county coming up with rules about possible truck stops. As it is, local traffic will still use SR 45 while thru traffic in the area will take 69 and I don't see much harm in that.

I was down in Bloomington over the weekend and saw the construction there for myself. I guess they aren't rebuilding the bridge at SR 48 but are adding a little bit on the edges instead. Also I saw some work at Kinser Pike where I guess a bridge will built out, as well as the other construction already mentioned. I do wonder, if Sections 1-3 were built a few years later than they were, how many of those exits might have roundabouts as well? The way this state is going with roundabouts at exits I would guess that some might have featured them.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on July 27, 2015, 08:48:25 PM

Yes Bloomington was very vocal against the project, though it probably wasn't EVERYONE in town, just the really vocal ones, I remember the NO I-69 signs traveling south on Walnut Street entering town years ago. So naturally they are probably going to end up with one of the most aesthetically-pleasing looking interstates of any city in the state.

That 82nd Street on the BGS was back when they were still planning on rebuilding the 465/69 interchange. I think it was stupid that they cancelled that when they had already widened 465 from US 31 to Allisonville Road leading to a bottleneck in that area now.

As for further south in Monroe County I would have a suspicion that the people in the southwestern part of the county where there is no exit from SR 37 to SR 445 would prefer if there were no exit in between since that sort of thing usually leads to the construction of gas stations and whatnot, there was something a while ago up in the H-T newspaper about the county coming up with rules about possible truck stops. As it is, local traffic will still use SR 45 while thru traffic in the area will take 69 and I don't see much harm in that.

I was down in Bloomington over the weekend and saw the construction there for myself. I guess they aren't rebuilding the bridge at SR 48 but are adding a little bit on the edges instead. Also I saw some work at Kinser Pike where I guess a bridge will built out, as well as the other construction already mentioned. I do wonder, if Sections 1-3 were built a few years later than they were, how many of those exits might have roundabouts as well? The way this state is going with roundabouts at exits I would guess that some might have featured them.
It's interesting that Bloomington hated it so much, the construction affects them the least. Was r/w even needed? (Not counting the split on the south side)

tdindy88

Some R/W was needed to the interchanges. Looking at the updated imagery for the Bloomington area there are several homes gone around the new Fullerton and Tapp interchanges.

ITB

Quote from: andy on July 27, 2015, 08:31:28 PM
Quote from: ITB on July 26, 2015, 06:45:21 PM

I-69 bridges crossing over East Mineral-Koleen Road in southern Greene County. Awaiting the arrival of four beams, which, I imagine, will be set in place next week, if the weather cooperates. White Construction, contractor (Section 4, Segment 3).

This bridge has been stuck in this missing span configuration most of the summer.  Do you have specific information that leads you to believe progress is impending?  I had heard a beam was dropped south of Martinsville earlier this summer and I suspect it was part of this span.  I also have no idea how long it takes to replace a damaged pre-cast beam.

I wasn't aware the bridge over East Mineral-Koleen Road has had that missing span for most of the summer. I also don't have any specific information when the final beams might be set. The "next week" was just a guesstimate on my part. However, it's reasonable to expect the arrival of the beams soon--whether this week, the next or early next month--because this bridge (and all bridges) must be finished and open to traffic in five months.

According to an article published May 7 in the local Herald-Times, two beams destined for Section 4 bridges were damaged during transport. The first incident occurred April 16 when a truck carrying a 150-foot beam overturned at a construction site. The other happened April 23 on SR 37 near Martinsville when steering malfunctioned on the rear trailer of a truck and a beam slid off into a ditch. The beam involved in the first incident was intended for Segment 3, of which the Mineral-Koleen bridges are part of. White Construction is the prime contractor for that section. The second incident beam was planned for either Segment 1 or 9, of which Crider and Crider is the main contractor. The replacement beam for White Construction was already being expected when the article was written, while a new beam for Crider was undergoing fabrication.

These beam issues were resolved months ago and now play no role whatsoever when the bridges over East Mineral-Koleen Road will be completed. But you've sparked my curiosity. I'll poke around and if I find out when the final 4 beams are to be set I'll put up a post. Construction on Section 4 has been accelerating in recent weeks; several crews were out working last Saturday. If things come to a pinch, I imagine, we'll see night work. The schedule is to finish and open the road by the end of the year, and I'd be very surprised if they fail to do so.

ITB

Quote from: andy on July 27, 2015, 08:31:28 PM
Quote from: ITB on July 27, 2015, 01:54:28 PM

Eventually, I imagine, SR 445 will be extended east of Interstate 69 to intersect with either Carmichael Road or W. Rock East Road in Monroe County. Why Monroe County didn't push for that in the first place is a bit puzzling.

During the planning of section 4, Monroe County was fighting every inch. I've said before, they should probably have at least one interchange nearer 37, but couldn't bring themselves to provide constructive input.  Interesting now because Bloomington will have one exchange every mile inside city limits for section 5.

The powers that be in Bloomington and Monroe County could have handled the coming of I-69 better. When construction fully commenced in Sections 1, 2 & 3, it should have been obvious the road was going to be built--through Bloomington and up to Indianapolis. There were those who hoped otherwise and fought tooth and nail, but when looked at from a broader perspective, it's hard to see how SR 37 wouldn't be involved. There was no way the interstate was going to terminate at US 231 when SR 37 was just 27 miles away. The extension might have been delayed because of legal challenges or postponed due to a lack of funds, but eventually it was going to happen, one way or another.

As for an additional I-69 interchange in Monroe County between SR 37 and SR 445, the options are rather limited and can easily be narrowed down to three possible locations: Harmony Road, Rockport Road, and Breeden Road. Harmony is almost a non-starter because the rugged terrain makes constructing an interchange almost impossible; it would be extraordinary expensive. Rockport Road would work, but as the interchange would be close to the 37 interchange, some might question the reason why it's needed. Breeden Road, like Harmony and Rockport road, is a rural arterial. But it, too, might be considered too near an existing interchange (SR 445) to be feasible. Would probably also carry a pretty big price tag. Harmony Road is the ideal interchange location, but, unfortunately, because it crosses 80 feet above I-69 mainline, it just isn't going to happen, not now, nor 50 years from now. Another interchange on I-69 in Monroe County west of SR 37 would probably involve an entirely new road.

But before a new interchange in Monroe County is even broached, it seems more apparent that by simply extending SR 445 to the east–a link up to either Carmichael Road or W. Rock East Road–would come first. First, the I-69 interchange would already exist. SR 445 only needs to extended about 1/2 mile to intersect with Carmichael Road. Moreover, it wouldn't be a major project, nor should it be overly expensive. As for the concerns over commercial enterprises being built near the interchange, such as a service station or fast food restaurant, Monroe County could simply keep the land zoned for rural/agriculture use. Besides, the ideal location for any such establishment is where the field office for E & B Paving is currently situated, just northwest of the interchange ... in Greene County.

Some things to keep in mind:

- Bloomington and Monroe County are two distinct entities. The city of Bloomington is a college town and has a populace and a government that likes the way things are and wants to keep them that way. Any change, such as I-69, is looked upon with suspicion. Monroe County, though similar in temperament and sentiment, is not Bloomington. It is Monroe County that wants to connect Fullerton Pike with W. Gordon Road on the county's southside to create a significant east-west arterial road. The city of Bloomington is of course involved but it's the County's project.

- If Monroe County and Bloomington continue to grow (based on past population growth rates, Bloomington is likely to be a city of 100,000 by 2030, less than 15 years away), more roads will need to be built and others expanded; I-69 is bound to come into play one way or another.

- Things change. What people think and want today may be very different 10, 15 or 30 years from now.

andy

Quote from: ITB on July 27, 2015, 11:57:06 PM

I wasn't aware the bridge over East Mineral-Koleen Road has had that missing span for most of the summer. I also don't have any specific information when the final beams might be set. The "next week" was just a guesstimate on my part. However, it's reasonable to expect the arrival of the beams soon--whether this week, the next or early next month--because this bridge (and all bridges) must be finished and open to traffic in five months.

Thanks,  I'm all for being optimistic; just looking for some backup info.
I don't get that direction often, but have been curious why that one span is still missing.  I may make a special trip or two just to check over the next couple of months.

ITB

Quote from: andy on July 28, 2015, 08:28:37 AM
Quote from: ITB on July 27, 2015, 11:57:06 PM

Thanks,  I'm all for being optimistic; just looking for some backup info.
I don't get that direction often, but have been curious why that one span is still missing.  I may make a special trip or two just to check over the next couple of months.

I just got detailed information. According to a gentleman I spoke with at the field office for White Construction, the final beams for the Mineral-Koleen bridge are expected to arrive on-site Thursday. Two cranes will be used to set them in place. One is already on location, the other will be shifted from the Dry Branch construction zone, just down the road. Apparently, because of the crane's large footprint, bringing it up Dry Branch Road and down East Mineral-Koleen is "kind of tricky," he said.

silverback1065

Does anyone know what's going on on 37 just south of 39? They've removed the grass in the median and started grading, is this for an impending crossover or widening?

andy

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 28, 2015, 04:21:36 PM
Does anyone know what's going on on 37 just south of 39? They've removed the grass in the median and started grading, is this for an impending crossover or widening?

Wild guess, but it looks to me like they didn't like the contour/profile.  They are doing the same south of 2nd St. in Bloomington.  It is a good time of year to do it and it won't get easier as the road gets closer to completion.

Also, I drove through Saturday and want to compliment the construction crews.  Lots of work and very minimal disruption to the through traffic.  :clap:

Edit: And also the fellow travelers were patient and orderly.  :clap: :clap:

TravelingBethelite

Just as an aside-the RmcN 2016 Road Atlas shows I-69 complete up to IN 37, and freeway under construction on the west side of Bloomington.  :cool:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

andy

Quote from: ITB on July 28, 2015, 02:47:10 PM

I just got detailed information. According to a gentleman I spoke with at the field office for White Construction, the final beams for the Mineral-Koleen bridge are expected to arrive on-site Thursday. Two cranes will be used to set them in place. One is already on location, the other will be shifted from the Dry Branch construction zone, just down the road. Apparently, because of the crane's large footprint, bringing it up Dry Branch Road and down East Mineral-Koleen is "kind of tricky," he said.

Construction update:
I took the long way home today and the bridge beams are up over Mineral-Koleen.
The northbound on and off ramps at 45 are being poured.
Everything I could see between US231 and SR45 is looking good. 
I can almost see that section being open before the advertised "end of year".

thefro

Quote from: andy on August 05, 2015, 11:15:16 PM
Quote from: ITB on July 28, 2015, 02:47:10 PM

Construction update:
I took the long way home today and the bridge beams are up over Mineral-Koleen.
The northbound on and off ramps at 45 are being poured.
Everything I could see between US231 and SR45 is looking good. 
I can almost see that section being open before the advertised "end of year".

I wouldn't be surprised if that opens first since they were talking about Section 4 "opening in phases" at one point last year.  Of course the dynamics may have changed with Section 5 being under construction now.

IndyAgent

If they could open 231 to 445 early that would take 20 minutes off the ride from Bloomington to Crane

thefro

The Bloomington Herald-Times has posted a couple short 4-min audio podcasts of a reporter driving northbound from Bloomington to Martinsville and then back south to Bloomington through the I-69 Section 5 construction.

https://soundcloud.com/the-herald-times/michaels-northbound-trip
https://soundcloud.com/the-herald-times/michaels-southbound-trip

andy

I drove by parts of section 4 yesterday and today. No pictures, but some notes about what I could see without trespassing or driving into the ditch rubber necking.

SR37 Northbound is completely torn up.  Does not appear to be graded yet.
SR37 Southbound has been complete for a while and is currently hosting 37N (no news there).
Under SR37S, 69 is still dirt, but the grade looks good.
West of SR37, asphalt is being laid down and getting close to the exchange.
The 69 grade separation for South Rockport road has bridge beams in place, but no decking.
Rockport is open to traffic under those beams, but is manually controlled for a construction crossing.
South Harmony is closed, but the bridge looks close to completion. Should be a good view when open.
I didn't check out S. Burch.
The bridge and overpass at Indian Creek and S. Breeden look good from the bottom, but the concrete walls are not done.
I skipped over everything from there to the intersection of SR45 and SR445.  It is a busy intersection, so I was mostly paying attention to driving. The equipment and construction materials around SR445 looks pretty dis-organized, but I think it is getting the last bits of concrete for the travel lanes.
On to SR54, Hobbieville road is still closed. Not much to see at the I-69 overpass without getting out of the car.
Back to SR45 at the I69 interchange, the west side has the travel lanes and ramps fully concreted.  East is mostly done except the concrete plant is still sitting in the middle of the southbound lanes.
Still no signs of the finishing touches such as signage or paint anywhere. (I'm not surprise).

Also, I can't find it on the internet, but the local radio station announce that there are a number of lane closures planned for the open sections of I69 through the fall.  I remember some deep patching and another try at the south end of the Patoka River bridges. Hopefully they also get the broken BGS's work completed.

SW Indiana

Yes. I traveled north on 69 from Washington to Crane last week and at the top of the NB entrance ramp at US50, a large section of the roadway had collapsed. I was told it was repaired this past week. Many of the bridge approaches have been repaired as well, from what I've been told by others traveling south towards Evansville.

ITB

Quote from: andy on August 14, 2015, 11:43:47 PM
I drove by parts of section 4 yesterday and today. No pictures, but some notes about what I could see without trespassing or driving into the ditch rubber necking.

Nice write-up on the current status of Section 4 construction. Thanks, Andy!

I also took a short tour down that way earlier this week. A few additional points about recent progress:

- The stretch of road between Harmony Road and the Breeden Road/Indian Creek bridges has been paved with PCCP; that's about 2 miles in total. (Segment 7, E & B Paving, contractor)
- Sub-base material is being laid from just north of Tramway Road to Lodge Road; PCCP paving is soon forthcoming. (Segment 8, E. S. Wagner & Co., prime contractor; E & B Paving is the sub that will do the paving.)
- Earth work is still continuing in the vicinity of Harmony Road to lower the grade to match that of Section 7. (Segment 8, E. S. Wagner & Co., contractor)
- Considerable grading work remains between the SR 445/I-69 interchange and the Indian Creek and Breeden Road bridges (Segment 7, E & B Paving, contractor)
- Grading/embankment work is ongoing west of the Carmichael Road/Indian Creek bridges (Segment 5, Milestone Contractors)

The last two points highlight where considerable work still remains to be done. The recent good weather has been beneficial as crews continue to push hard to whip the roadbed into shape in preparation for paving. Since both of these stretches of roadway are slated to receive PCCP, time is limited because work with concrete becomes much more challenging when the hard freezes begin to occur in late October. Once the mainline is paved up, shoulder work utilizing warm mix asphalt can then proceed until nearly the end of the year. It's possible the SR 445/I-69 interchange with the roundabouts will be one of the final parts of Section 4 to be completed.

ITB

And now some pics. Photos were taken August 13, 2015, unless otherwise identified.

Placing the beams that will carry southbound I-69 over Rockport Road in southwestern Monroe County, Indiana. E. S. Wagner & Co., prime contractor (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 4, Segment 8).

Another view of the beam placement work at the Rockport Road overpasses.

Yet another view of the ongoing beam placement work at Rockport Road in Monroe County, Indiana. Note in the background the grading work occurring on the mainline.

The last two beams for the Rockport Road overpasses (and, it might be added, the final two beams to be placed in all of Section 4) await installation.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.