News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Powell

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 09, 2015, 05:22:37 PM
What is the grade on this bridge? It seems pretty steep.

From a rough measure on the screen, it looks to be between 8% and 10%.  Using the house on the right as a rough guide to true level.

ITB

Quote from: Rick Powell on November 09, 2015, 05:36:55 PM

From a rough measure on the screen, it looks to be between 8% and 10%.  Using the house on the right as a rough guide to true level.

That's the bridge carrying Hobbieville Road over I-69 in Greene County, Indiana. From that perspective, it does look a little steep, but, actually, the grade is very reasonable. Now east of the bridge, turning up Hobbieville Road off of S. Rockeast Road might be a concern in snow and ice.

This part of Indiana is very rural and isolated. The roads, while certainly passable, are rough and marginally maintained. Horseshoe Bend Road, which veers off south from where Rockeast and Hobbieville meet, is gravel for about a mile before pavement resumes. If one continues down Horseshoe Bend for a few miles, you'll be in Popcorn. Yup, there is indeed a Popcorn, Indiana. But you wouldn't know you were in Popcorn unless you knew of Popcorn, because there's not a whole lot there–no store, no gas station, no post office, and no sign. Popcorn is what might be called a settlement or a "place," but more formally, an unincorporated community, and an officially designated one at that.

Here's two other photos of the bridge:

Hobbieville Road bridge; looking northeast. Photo was taken November 7, 2015.

Hobbieville Road bridge; looking east. November 7, 2015.

Though the overpass is finished but not yet officially open, and barricades remain in place, local residents take matters into their own hands to get to where they want to go.

And a couple more:

Looking north from Hobbieville Road bridge. November 7, 2015.

Fitch Barriers at Hobbieville Road overpass; looking north. November 7, 2015

tdindy88

Any idea on the signage along Section 4. My father traveled that way last weekend toward Evansville and said they had signs up at SR 37 and I-69, or some at least. Just curious about how that is going.

ARMOURERERIC

Yes, lets see some hot BGS action!

ITB

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on November 09, 2015, 10:23:42 PM
Yes, lets see some hot BGS action!

Here we go:

Sign supports for southbound Interstate 69 just north of the I-69/State Road 37 interchange in Monroe County, Indiana; looking northwest.

Crider & Crider, prime contractor (Indiana I-69 Corridor Project, Section 4, Segments 1 & 9).

I don't have a pic, but there's a large BGS that's been erected up near Victor Pike for northbound State Road 37. Half of the sign indicates northbound SR37/I-69 traffic should stay right; the other half is covered with a tarp, but undoubtedly arrows the left exit for I-69 south.

Just north of the State Road 37/Interstate 69 interchange; looking northwest.

That's the median barrier wall, which will run from the I-69/SR 37 interchange to the I-69/Sample Road interchange, a distance of about 12 miles. In the background is the Rockport Road overpass.

And one more:

The portable concrete mixing facility for Milestone Contractors just north of the I-69/SR 45 interchange in Greene County; looking north.

If you look closely (helps to expand the photo), there's an I-69 shield that's been staked. Also, the small non-paved segment of road, only about 60 yards in length, is the very last of Section 4 to be paved up.

Milestone Contractors, prime contractor (Indiana I-69 Corridor Project, Section 4, Segments 4/5/6a).

EngineerTM

There is a report dated October 30, 2015 that INDOT plans to make a major announcement regarding the final I-69 segment between Martinsville and Indianapolis.  Following the three scheduled public hearings scheduled for late-November/early-December, INDOT will further whittle down the 5 remaining routes under consideration.

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/local_story/Decision-on-I-69-options-comin_1446253724

The report states that INDOT will definitely further reduce the list to less than the final 5 remaining, and may even go straight to eliminating 4 and announce the final route that I-69 will follow.  I suspect that they are trying to move this process along quicker (given the governor's recent announcement that, re-election notwithstanding, he wants to have I-69 finished before he leaves office) and to allow the affected areas and businesses time to make their adjustments.  This is very welcomed news.

I suspect that I-69 will follow the originally-planned route along SR 37 (before the local legislators passed a law, which has been reversed, banning I-69 from running through Perry Township in Marion County).

mvak36

Quote from: EngineerTM on November 12, 2015, 01:36:44 PM
There is a report dated October 30, 2015 that INDOT plans to make a major announcement regarding the final I-69 segment between Martinsville and Indianapolis.  Following the three scheduled public hearings scheduled for late-November/early-December, INDOT will further whittle down the 5 remaining routes under consideration.

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/local_story/Decision-on-I-69-options-comin_1446253724

The report states that INDOT will definitely further reduce the list to less than the final 5 remaining, and may even go straight to eliminating 4 and announce the final route that I-69 will follow.  I suspect that they are trying to move this process along quicker (given the governor's recent announcement that, re-election notwithstanding, he wants to have I-69 finished before he leaves office) and to allow the affected areas and businesses time to make their adjustments.  This is very welcomed news.

I suspect that I-69 will follow the originally-planned route along SR 37 (before the local legislators passed a law, which has been reversed, banning I-69 from running through Perry Township in Marion County).

For selfish reasons (I want to see it completed :)), I'd rather they just say they're going to build it along SR37 and then start construction in a couple of years once they get funding. We'll see what happens.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

noelbotevera

If I-69 follows SR 37, it's only 29 miles. The three counties that have to do their part is Morgan, Johnson, and Marion County. How's it going in those three counties in terms of construction?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

tdindy88

I think you mean Johnson County, Owen County is west of Morgan County and not part of any I-69 planned route.

andy

Quote from: EngineerTM on November 12, 2015, 01:36:44 PM

I'm surprised the article didn't actually mention the meeting date;

http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/files/I-69_S6_Hosting_Locations_Released_for_4th_quarter_PIMs(1).pdf

QuoteINDOT intends to hold 4th quarter public information meetings at the following hosting
locations:
Perry Township — Nov. 30
   Perry Meridian High School: 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Mooresville — Dec. 2
   Mooresville High School: 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Martinsville — Dec. 3
    Martinsville High School: 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

noelbotevera

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 12, 2015, 08:08:47 PM
I think you mean Johnson County, Owen County is west of Morgan County and not part of any I-69 planned route.
Thanks for correcting me. I have edited my post.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

mgk920

Can someone who saw my post on page 69 (from 07 and 08-Oct) regarding the fate of the IN 37 'old' road at I-465 bring my thoughts on it up at one of these hearings?   Thanx!

:nod:

Mike

mukade

Quote from: mgk920 on November 13, 2015, 01:46:43 AM
Can someone who saw my post on page 69 (from 07 and 08-Oct) regarding the fate of the IN 37 'old' road at I-465 bring my thoughts on it up at one of these hearings?   Thanx!

Mike

Back around 2009, they had some fairly detailed maps online for section 6 - including the very north part of section 6 at I-465. Back then, I think they had not made a decision on which sections would be built first. I think Mitch Daniels was afraid that if construction started in Indy, then the southern end toward Evansville might never be built.

If i remember correctly, those maps showed the current SR 37 road would end at Epler. I thought part of the current SR 37 might also have some lanes removed south of the truck stops in that map. Then again, that was ~6 years ago.

tdindy88

As I would see it, you would be simply returning Harding Street to its original configuration, allowing for Harding to run straight from north of I-70 south past I-465 and down to Bluff Road. And with the SR 37 thru traffic moved to the new I-69, with its own interchange with 465, Harding wouldn't need to be any wider than it is now south of Epler. Past the truck stops and businesses in that area it's all residential.

EngineerTM

While I still think that the final section will ultimately follow SR 37 into I-465, I think that there is one element that hasn't been thought through.  What will happen with I-69 when it reaches I-465 and how will it be linked to the northern half of I-69?  This area is SIU 2, and I haven't been able to find much discussion about that.  The general assumption is that I-69 would be co-signed with I-465, but INDOT has never confirmed that.

With that said, there may be some merit to the two alternate routes that lead to the west of the Indianapolis Airport into I-70.  For one, there are only two interstates that pass through Indianapolis - I-65 and I-70.  I-74 does not; it follows along I-465.  I have read that there are concerns with the volume of traffic on I-465 and if there is enough capacity to handle another interstate.  However, by sending I-69 to intersect I-70 at the airport, the State could then co-sign I-69 to follow along I-70 through central Indianapolis, then route it the short distance northward along I-465 to where it would be tied into the existing I-69.  This route would also allow people coming up from the south a more direct connection to the airport.

Just my thoughts.  However, I still think that this final section will follow along SR 37.

silverback1065

Quote from: EngineerTM on November 13, 2015, 10:59:57 AM
While I still think that the final section will ultimately follow SR 37 into I-465, I think that there is one element that hasn't been thought through.  What will happen with I-69 when it reaches I-465 and how will it be linked to the northern half of I-69?  This area is SIU 2, and I haven't been able to find much discussion about that.  The general assumption is that I-69 would be co-signed with I-465, but INDOT has never confirmed that.

With that said, there may be some merit to the two alternate routes that lead to the west of the Indianapolis Airport into I-70.  For one, there are only two interstates that pass through Indianapolis - I-65 and I-70.  I-74 does not; it follows along I-465.  I have read that there are concerns with the volume of traffic on I-465 and if there is enough capacity to handle another interstate.  However, by sending I-69 to intersect I-70 at the airport, the State could then co-sign I-69 to follow along I-70 through central Indianapolis, then route it the short distance northward along I-465 to where it would be tied into the existing I-69.  This route would also allow people coming up from the south a more direct connection to the airport.

Just my thoughts.  However, I still think that this final section will follow along SR 37.

I'm fairly certain that if they use 37, it will connect with 465 with an interchange similar to the 865 interchange (minus everything being on the left), it will then be cosigned around the city along 465.  I don't think INDOT cares about the added traffic, it didn't stop them when they routed every highway in marion county onto it (besides 65/70).  Yes, none of those routes are interstates in their own right, but collectively it adds up.  In a perfect world it would plow through indy, it would take pressure off 465 since it would be on its own route, it would make traffic on 465 from 70 up to current 69 much better. I'm never on the south side, so I don't know how bad traffic is down there, but it's pretty shitty on the east side leg.

bmeiser

Maybe this will encourage them to 4-lane the entire south and east legs of 465.

Rick Powell

Quote from: bmeiser on November 13, 2015, 11:12:36 AM
Maybe this will encourage them to 4-lane the entire south and east legs of 465.

When you think about the traffic that is drawn already to IN 37, I don't think the traffic increase will be a big deal as a signed interstate.  When the Crane-Bloomington section opens up, we will have a de facto continuous freeway/expressway route to Evansville, so if 465 has any hiccups, they will likely show up before I-69 is formally completed.

SW Indiana

Slightly off topic, but an overpass in Daviess county was damaged yesterday at the 69.5mm due to an excavator striking the underside of the overpass while being hauled by a flatbed trailer. The overpass carries CR 450 N and was closed to traffic as of last night. Unsure how much damaged occurred but I do know at least one concrete beam is missing a large chunk.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on November 09, 2015, 09:45:35 PM
Quote from: Rick Powell on November 09, 2015, 05:36:55 PM

That's the bridge carrying Hobbieville Road over I-69 in Greene County, Indiana. From that perspective, it does look a little steep, but, actually, the grade is very reasonable.

Thanks for the extra pics!
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ITB

Signage is up at the I-69/SR 37 interchange.

Sign structure over northbound State Road 37; looking north from the near the SR 37/Victor Pike intersection. The LEFT sign indicates the left exit for southbound I-69 traffic, which is visible but only just. Just beyond the I-69 south exit, SR 37 merges with I-69 northbound, which, at this time, is still designated State Road 37.

Crider & Crider, prime contractor (Indiana I-69 Corridor Project, Section 4, Segments 1 & 9).

Signs and support structure over the northbound lanes of Interstate 69 just south of the I-69/SR 37 interchange; looking north.

Mid-range view.

Looking south from the Rockport Road overpass toward the I-69/SR 37 interchange. I-69 southbound is left at the split and is indicated by the covered sign; at right is the long, curving exit ramp for SR 37 south, which can be seen near its end in the first picture. Currently, and for the past year, the SR 37 south ramp has been used for both north and southbound SR 37 traffic; this will soon change when northbound SR 37 traffic is switched to the newly constructed SR 37 north lanes (see first picture above).

Left of the median barrier wall is I-69 northbound and the end of the merge with State Road 37 north.

mgk920

So then until more of I-69 is completed around and north from Bloomington, what will be 'I-69 North' from I-69 to the south will be the 'exit' at IN 37 (south split)?

Mike

thefro

Quote from: mgk920 on November 16, 2015, 10:12:12 AM
So then until more of I-69 is completed around and north from Bloomington, what will be 'I-69 North' from I-69 to the south will be the 'exit' at IN 37 (south split)?

Mike

The first picture is from SR 37 northbound... you'd only exit left to go on I-69 South (nearly doing a U-turn).  Staying "straight" on SR 37 will be "I-69 North" in 2016.

All those "SR 37 North" signs will be "I-69 North" in a year if that helps.  The exits all make sense with the "exit" being SR 37 South or I-69 in the opposite direction from where you're traveling.

CtrlAltDel

Something we haven't seen too much with this project: construction barrels. I have to say, I liked the brand new road stuff quite a bit. This last stretch is going to have a different look.

Quote from: ITB on November 15, 2015, 07:21:15 PM

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hockeyjohn

Does AASHTO standards still allow for "TEMPORARY" designations on interstates (e.g.  TEMPORARY I-69 from Charlotte to Perry, Michigan from 1973-91)?   The gap along SR 37 between Bloomington and Indianapolis, once the stretch from US-231 to SR 37 opens, and its status as a divided highway makes it logical candidate to be signed as such. 

This might also accelerate the signing of I-69 along I-465 (even though INDOT should have already done so at least from the I-465/I-65 junction on the Indianapolis southside up to existing I-69 once it was approved to assist motorists travelling north find it easier, imho).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.