News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

Just announced. Section 4 will open to traffic by the end of the business day, Wednesday, December 9th.

"Indiana Department of Transportation spokesman Will Wingfield confirmed Monday the 27-mile stretch of highway connecting Naval Surface Activity Crane to Bloomington is expected to be open to traffic some time after a ribbon-cutting ceremony scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Wednesday."

Some work will continue in the upcoming months, mainly in the median and on the shoulders, and intermittent lane closures are to be expected.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/news/local/i--section-set-to-open-wednesday/article_9cd14c0a-9d20-11e5-80ab-5b159031a6c7.html

ITB

A few final pics of Section 4, which were taken Saturday, December 5th:

Looking northeast from Harmony Road bridge in Monroe County, Indiana.

E. S. Wagner Co., prime contractor (Indiana I-69 Corridor Project, Section 4, Segment 8).

Guardrail sections laid out for installation near Harmony Road.

Looking northeast from near Tramway Road in Monroe County. It's a little blurry, but I believe it's Exit 154 114 on the sign. To the right, the mileage marker reads 112.

Update: Yup, it's Exit 114. Thanks for the heads up noelbotevera.

noelbotevera

Quote from: ITB on December 07, 2015, 05:21:51 PM

Looking northeast from near Tramway Road in Monroe County. It's a little blurry, but I believe it's Exit 154 on the sign. To the right, the mileage marker reads 112.
That is 114, not 154.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

silverback1065

Was SR 45 rerouted to be a connector to 69 until they open this section?  It makes cosigning with 58 makes no sense, when did this happen anyway?

andy

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 07, 2015, 07:53:17 PM
Was SR 45 rerouted to be a connector to 69 until they open this section?  It makes cosigning with 58 makes no sense, when did this happen anyway?

Huh? SR45 hasn't moved recently.  I presume it was re-routed back in 1941 when the Navy took over the stretch that passes through what is now Crane Naval. It used to continue down US231, but that was dropped some time ago, so I guess the best description would be that SR45 was re-routed 75 years ago to US231 via SR58.  I've only been on this side of the state 31 years, so I can't speak of anything before 1984.

silverback1065

Quote from: andy on December 07, 2015, 08:46:27 PM

Huh? SR45 hasn't moved recently.  I presume it was re-routed back in 1941 when the Navy took over the stretch that passes through what is now Crane Naval. It used to continue down US231, but that was dropped some time ago, so I guess the best description would be that SR45 was re-routed 75 years ago to US231 via SR58.  I've only been on this side of the state 31 years, so I can't speak of anything before.
O OK, I was looking at Google maps and it says old sr 45 so I assumed it was relatively recent.

Nexus 6P

andy

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 07, 2015, 08:47:45 PM
Quote from: andy on December 07, 2015, 08:46:27 PM

Huh? SR45 hasn't moved recently.  I presume it was re-routed back in 1941 when the Navy took over the stretch that passes through what is now Crane Naval. It used to continue down US231, but that was dropped some time ago, so I guess the best description would be that SR45 was re-routed 75 years ago to US231 via SR58.  I've only been on this side of the state 31 years, so I can't speak of anything before.
O OK, I was looking at Google maps and it says old sr 45 so I assumed it was relatively recent.

Nexus 6P
Folks down here have long memories. Even confuses me sometimes.

andy

Another article, not behind a pay wall (though I think they count visits);

http://www.courierpress.com/news/local/new-i-69-section-to-open-to-public-by-end-of-day-wednesday-26509640-d573-5c48-e053-0100007f958a-360834491.html

Includes a discussion about the scarcity of exits, ending with;

QuoteFrom exit 87 at U.S. 231, it's another 11 miles to exit 98 at Indiana 45. The next exit after that is the dog bone roundabout at exit 104 to Indiana 445 in Greene County. If they miss that exit, they'll have to drive all the way to Bloomington for another chance to get off.

Wingfield said that is the result of an environmental agreement to limit development in the rural area.
Bloomington strikes again.  This is the first time I've heard this, but I've suspected it.

And;
QuoteI-69 is expected to cut travel time between Evansville and Bloomington by about 45 minutes, ...
Opponents always said 10 minutes - Max!
I'll quit before I get too spun up.

IndyAgent

i think more than 45 minutes will be cut off. 

Old way 67/57 was mostly a two lane road that went through many towns and stop lights and farm traffic

New Way, assuming no accidents 70+ mph all the way with no stopping

thefro

I think the "10 minutes" claim was the savings with the new-terrain route from Evansville to Indy versus "US 41 upgraded to freeway standards + I-70".  Anyone with a working brain knew it would significantly cut the travel time between Evansville and Bloomington

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: andy on December 07, 2015, 09:19:40 PM
Another article, not behind a pay wall (though I think they count visits);

http://www.courierpress.com/news/local/new-i-69-section-to-open-to-public-by-end-of-day-wednesday-26509640-d573-5c48-e053-0100007f958a-360834491.html

There's the copy archived on the Internet Archive in case if it's come behind a paywall.
https://web.archive.org/web/20151208155312/http://www.courierpress.com/news/local/new-i-69-section-to-open-to-public-by-end-of-day-wednesday-26509640-d573-5c48-e053-0100007f958a-360834491.html
Includes a discussion about the scarcity of exits, ending with;

QuoteFrom exit 87 at U.S. 231, it's another 11 miles to exit 98 at Indiana 45. The next exit after that is the dog bone roundabout at exit 104 to Indiana 445 in Greene County. If they miss that exit, they'll have to drive all the way to Bloomington for another chance to get off.

Wingfield said that is the result of an environmental agreement to limit development in the rural area.
Bloomington strikes again.  This is the first time I've heard this, but I've suspected it.

And sometimes limit development happens anyway. I won't be surprised to see some folks doing a 180 and complaining to add some interchanges.

silverback1065

Exits will happen in the future, it's inevitable, these guys always lose in the long run.  It would be nice to preserve the rural feel in some areas, but you just can't stop progress, it happens. 

andy

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 08, 2015, 11:50:55 AM
Exits will happen in the future, it's inevitable, these guys always lose in the long run.  It would be nice to preserve the rural feel in some areas, but you just can't stop progress, it happens.
Don't get me wrong, I love rural.  I just find it strange what folks who choose to live urban thing about rural.
But this is just going to push development to the SR445 area since 11 miles isn't too far out of the way.
While on the topic, does anyone else think it strange that SR445 ends without a connector to the east.  The nearest county road is under 3000 ft away.  I suppose this was a part of the agreement "limit development in the area" of western Monroe County.  That will be the first adjustment and it should be fully at the cost of Monroe County.
Finally, I too expect there will be a move to add an exchange closer to B-town. Probably about 10 years, but it will happen.

silverback1065

I agree, there's nothing wrong with their concerns, it's just unrealistic to think they can permanently stave it off.

Nexus 6P

EngineerTM

As I've followed the development of I-69, I recall that there was a fair amount of concern about the reduction in the number and location of interchanges.  However, most of the discussions I read stated that these decisions were primarily being driven by cost.  My interpretation is that INDOT wanted to get SIU 3 built as quickly and cost-effectively as possible; then, as traffic and development warranted, additional interchanges could be built.  But the push was to get this interstate's footprint down now while there was funding available and the political will to get this done.  I remember that some areas along the route were disappointed that interchanges were being dropped.

INDOT seems to have a habit of building things on the cheap, with the plans (or hopes) to improve them later.  However, I think that they have to accept the fact that interstate funding from the feds is not where it needs to be.  Our nation's infrastructure as a whole has so many needs, but not enough funding.

I've driven SR 45 numerous times between Crane and Bloomington, and there really isn't a whole lot there.  The stubbornness of Bloomington aside, I believe that development will occur within this area.  The part that really irked me was in the Courier's report about needing to build a direct access gravel ramp (which will be chained off) at the Birch Road overpass.  This does not comply with interstate standards, but was needed for emergency vehicles.  This is one area that I think INDOT should have slapped Bloomington's "concerns" aside.

US 41

Quote from: ITB on December 07, 2015, 05:07:39 PM
Just announced. Section 4 will open to traffic by the end of the business day, Wednesday, December 9th.

"Indiana Department of Transportation spokesman Will Wingfield confirmed Monday the 27-mile stretch of highway connecting Naval Surface Activity Crane to Bloomington is expected to be open to traffic some time after a ribbon-cutting ceremony scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Wednesday."

Some work will continue in the upcoming months, mainly in the median and on the shoulders, and intermittent lane closures are to be expected.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/news/local/i--section-set-to-open-wednesday/article_9cd14c0a-9d20-11e5-80ab-5b159031a6c7.html

I know where I'm going on Thursday. I can't believe I-69 is going to be finished from Bloomington to Evansville before the SR 641 bypass in Terre Haute. I think INDOT even started on 641 first.  :banghead:
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

silverback1065

Quote from: US 41 on December 08, 2015, 01:11:28 PM

I know where I'm going on Thursday. I can't believe I-69 is going to be finished from Bloomington to Evansville before the SR 641 bypass in Terre Haute. I think INDOT even started on 641 first.  :banghead:
Indot doesn't really seem to care about 641, its been under construction for what seems like an eternity!

Nexus 6P

vdeane

There are still more exits than on roads like the Thruway and the PA Turnpike.

Also, I don't see anywhere in the article saying that Bloomington itself raised objections to having more interchanges; the word "Bloomington" just happens to appear in the preceding sentence, which mentions that there are not exits between it and IN 445.  The agreement is likely with one of many agencies concerned with environmental protection, possibly the Army Corps of Engineers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 41

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 08, 2015, 01:37:25 PM

Indot doesn't really seem to care about 641, its been under construction for what seems like an eternity!

Nexus 6P

Haha no kidding. They started on it in 2003. It's supposed to be finished by Fall 2016. Apparently it takes 13 years to build a 6 mile bypass.

noelbotevera

Quote from: US 41 on December 08, 2015, 01:56:54 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 08, 2015, 01:37:25 PM

Nexus 6P

Haha no kidding. They started on it in 2003. It's supposed to be finished by Fall 2016. Apparently it takes 13 years to build a 6 mile bypass.
For comparison, I-635's (Texas) express lanes are about 8 miles long, and it took them four years from 2011 to 2015. Commence slow clapping or jeering.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

sd72667

Didn't Dwight "Ike" Eisenhower break ground for construction on SR 641 in 1956? :wow:
I never have understood why INDOT justified building SR 641, let alone going through with it's construction, once it was known I-69 would be built from Evansville>Bloomington>Indianapolis. There are three Interstate and State Highway projects that I swear have been going on since the wheel was invented around 3500 BC. The I-64/I-57 in Mt Vernon IL, just about every road project in Louisville KY and SR 641 in Terre Haute.

lordsutch

SR 641 was a consolation prize for Terre Haute. Plus bypassing the US 41 commercial strip south of I-70 is a good idea - the fact it doesn't actually help traffic bypass the rest of Terre Haute is a bit of a downer though (there's a bit of a cobbled-together four lane route east and north of downtown, but it doesn't get you over to SR 63 without substantial backtracking).

silverback1065

641 will eventually go all the way to us 150 and be a bypass for 41 and 150. Or at least that's the idea, I've seen a map of it, but I wouldn't expect to see that any time soon. I heard it was going to be 69, but it was too late to cancel the project by the time the current route was selected. Not sure if that's true at all though.

Nexus 6P

US 41

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 08, 2015, 04:14:01 PM
641 will eventually go all the way to us 150 and be a bypass for 41 and 150. Or at least that's the idea, I've seen a map of it, but I wouldn't expect to see that any time soon. I heard it was going to be 69, but it was too late to cancel the project by the time the current route was selected. Not sure if that's true at all though.

Nexus 6P

I highly doubt that 641 is ever extended north of I-70. It was going to be 69 if 69 came to Terre Haute. They were always going to build 641 with or without 69.

GaryV

Quote from: vdeane on December 08, 2015, 01:46:29 PM
Also, I don't see anywhere in the article saying that Bloomington itself raised objections to having more interchanges; the word "Bloomington" just happens to appear in the preceding sentence, which mentions that there are not exits between it and IN 445.  The agreement is likely with one of many agencies concerned with environmental protection, possibly the Army Corps of Engineers.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that Bloomington is similar to "The People's Republic of Ann Arbor" so that would be a completely logical assumption that Bloomington was against having more exits.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.